1. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    10 Jun '08 11:13
    Originally posted by mtthw
    I'd still rather have him than any of the ITV lot.
    Yeah, I agree... Motty's an institution.

Long Live The Sheepskin!
  2. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    10 Jun '08 11:33
    Originally posted by baruli
    Austria vs Croatia! It was so unfair to Croatia. Referee judge for Austria. What do you think?
    The referee called a very questionable penalty for Croatia in the fourth minute. What are you talking about?
  3. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 23:18
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Better luck next game, Italy...
    Better luck next game, France...
  4. Joined
    23 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 01:34
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Ma ajde, nisu bili bas tako losi ! 🙂
    nisu protiv Njemca! Jako dobro je bilo 2-1 🙂
  5. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 10:48
    Fortune favors the bold

Marco Van Basten, currently the coach of Holland's national soccer team, was a magical footballer and perhaps the best striker of his generation. Raymond Dommench, currently the coach of French national soccer team, was a cynical (and many would say dirty) defensive- minded midfielder. Today, the two faced each other in a riveting Euro 2008 match. The Dutch, coming off of a shocking 3-0 victory over defending world champions Italy, were looking for a win that would put them into the quarterfinals after only two games. France, coming off of a disappointing 0-0 draw to Romania, was looking to put itself in contention to advance in the next game.

Both teams started out with similar formations. In particular, both had two defensive midfielders: for France, Makelele and Toulalan; for Holland, Engelaar and De Jong.

Holland jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, which it held through the first half. Thus, to the extent that either team might remove a defensive midfielder in the second half, you would have thought it would be France, the trailing team.

However, it was Van Basten who opted to add attacking flair for the second half. He did so, moreover, in the form of Arjen Robben, the fabulous winger, who came on for Engelaar. Dommench stayed with Makelele and Toulalan.

The results were quite dramatic. Robben promptly set up a second goal for Robbie Van Persie (another attack oriented sub). Then, less than a minute after France had pulled back a goal, Robben made it 3-1 with a stunning strike. At the final whistle, it was 4-1 to Holland. And Makelele and Toulalan were still trudging around for the French.

The title of this post notwithstanding, in soccer the Dommench's seem to get the better of the Van Basten's more often than not. That's why we fans get so excited when it works out as it did today.
  6. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 12:50
    Dommench?
  7. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 05:14
    3-2. Turkey!!
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 09:48
    Originally posted by kenan
    3-2. Turkey!!
    Amazing comeback. Hope to see you again in the semis. 🙂
  9. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 11:53
    Turkey v Czech Republic was an amazing match - very entertaining!

Disappointingly though, the Czech's were my favoured tip to win it! Still, Holland were my 2nd choice...

:'(
  10. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 17:491 edit
    I root for Czech because the movie midnight Express turned me away from Turkey.

Plus Czech has been had it so very harsh in the past century.
  11. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 20:11
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I root for Czech because the movie midnight Express turned me away from Turkey.

Plus Czech has been had it so very harsh in the past century.
    So you live your life according to movies and form incorrect opinions about a whole nation just because you saw a crappy movie?

Haha.
  12. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 22:39
    Originally posted by kenan
    So you live your life according to movies and form incorrect opinions about a whole nation just because you saw a crappy movie?

Haha.
    All right, Turkey sided with Germany in WW1.
  13. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    17 Jun '08 06:00
    Originally posted by badmoon
    All right, Turkey sided with Germany in WW1.
    Your ignorance is killing me. Not only you believe everything your hear in movies you also greatly lack the knowledge in history.

It was Ottoman Empire who sided with Germany not Turkish Republic because Turkish Republic was not even founded during WW1.
  14. Utrecht
    Moves
    17 Jun '08 11:37
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Amazing comeback. Hope to see you again in the semis. 🙂
    Turkey finds its Waterloo against Croatia I believe. Though the Turkish comeback was nice, they don't play a convincing game.
    And Germany in this terrible shape won't stand a chance against Portugal. So Croatia against Portugal is the first semi.
    So far a pretty easy road for the red and greens 😕
  15. Standard memberknightwest
    General of GROSS
    Calvin's Treehouse
    Moves
    17 Jun '08 12:51
    Originally posted by Sake
    Turkey finds its Waterloo against Croatia I believe. Though the Turkish comeback was nice, they don't play a convincing game.
    And Germany in this terrible shape won't stand a chance against Portugal. So Croatia against Portugal is the first semi.
    So far a pretty easy road for the red and greens 😕
    Fools write off Germany at their peril.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree