1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 May '11 11:35
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Some people might, but only if they are morons. Three of the four final teams in the EL were Portuguese and Lissabon can play too. I've read somewhere that besides winning the national championship Porto's season far consists of a Portuguese Supercup, and a record of 13-1-2 in the EL (with the final to come) and 5-0-1 in the Taca de Portugal (with another fi ...[text shortened]... y hope Porto wont do a 'Dortmund' and sell the best players come summer (Sahin already).
    We have a guy (Walter) who actually has more goals per minute than Falcao coming off the bench (1 goal per 71 minutes!) but he seemed to have a fallout with the coach or club (it's not known why, but it could be work ethic related as Porto is notoriously harsh on players who party too much). He suddenly disappeared from call-ups for a long spell of the season. He's back now, he started yesterday and he scored again but I don't know if all is good or not. I don't think the club thinks he's ready to replace Falcao.

Hulk's buy out clause is 100 million but that's obviously too much. He'd go for 35/40M. Porto bought a few days ago 40% of his pass recently for 13.5M so that would make it in the 35M range. We have some very young wingers that could replace him and hope they explode. James Rodriguez from Colombia has been a revelation so far and we bought Iturbe which is also rated very highly.
  2. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    15 May '11 12:59
    Originally posted by Palynka
    We have a guy (Walter) who actually has more goals per minute than Falcao coming off the bench (1 goal per 71 minutes!) but he seemed to have a fallout with the coach or club (it's not known why, but it could be work ethic related as Porto is notoriously harsh on players who party too much). He suddenly disappeared from call-ups for a long spell of the seaso ...[text shortened]... ombia has been a revelation so far and we bought Iturbe which is also rated very highly.
    Nice scoring stat but Walter is probably too young to count on. Especially if he's a party monster. He'll need someone older and better to learn from.

EUR 35/40 M is still too much for Wenger. So Hulk will go to City or Chelsea. Maybe Arsenal should buy Rodriguez. How do you rate him against someone like Eden Hazard?
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 May '11 15:341 edit
    Nice scoring stat but Walter is probably too young to count on. Especially if he's a party monster. He'll need someone older and better to learn from.

EUR 35/40 M is still too much for Wenger. So Hulk will go to City or Chelsea. Maybe Arsenal should buy Rodriguez. How do you rate him against someone like Eden Hazard?
    I've seen little of Hazard but he looked really great. Hard to rate two players so young, of course. James has great technique but he's not a flashy technical beast like Hazard. He has great off the ball movement, plays well with his teammates and is quite composed for his age. Something is coming from him but Hazard has shown much more for now, I think.
  4. In your face
    Moves
    15 May '11 23:02
    With all these numbers and statistics, this is starting to sound like a discussion about American football.

🙄
  5. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    19 May '11 05:58
    And Porto wins it! Deserved it too imo.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    19 May '11 06:19
    Ay, caramba! Who would have thought the title was
    partly due to Porto's dodgy, unreliable goalkeeper?!

As for Hulk and Falcao: simply delightful to watch.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 May '11 08:10
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Ay, caramba! Who would have thought the title was
    partly due to Porto's dodgy, unreliable goalkeeper?!

As for Hulk and Falcao: simply delightful to watch.
    Helton is a great goalkeeper! Widely recognized in Portugal as the best keeper playing there for some years now. Two bad games in the CL and he became the most underrated keeper for those who don't follow our domestic league.

It wasn't our best game, though. I guess it being a final paid its toll and Braga defend very well positionally. It was one of the few times our midfield wasn't fluid and so the game was a bit scrappy. Still, we won and that's what counts.
  8. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    19 May '11 08:26
    Congrats Palynka.

I hope Porto keeps the team at least until after the UEFA Super Cup. I would love to see Barca losing an international match, and Porto have the Coach and players to do.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 May '11 09:14
    I hope Porto keeps the team at least until after the UEFA Super Cup. I would love to see Barca losing an international match, and Porto have the Coach and players to do.
    Glad to see you're more optimistic than me. 😀

Barcelona even without ref mistakes or theatrics is a super team.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 May '11 13:01
    Congrats Palynka.

man utd will have something to say about that.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 May '11 13:15
    Originally posted by trev33
    man utd will have something to say about that.
    Good luck.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oN47rrZq3ag/Tb_ebF2DMPI/AAAAAAAAAOk/f8N4iRGKwrw/s1600/9hro0.jpg
  12. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    21 Jun '11 16:01
    Dammit Villas-Boas quit Porto. Chelsea is next...
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Jun '11 17:00
    15 Million and the most expensive coach transfer ever and bought one year ago for... 0.00 Euros.

I'm happy for the extraordinary season we had and so good luck to him in Chelsea. My heart says I would like him to stay another year, but my head says you can't argue with those numbers. Let's see what happens next year, we still have an extraordinary group of players.
  14. 6yd box
    Moves
    21 Jun '11 23:39
    Dammit Villas-Boas quit Porto. Chelsea is next...
    A great young manager- and a fantastic record in this first season.
    He is of course an old face at Chelsea as well- having been there before.
    However how will he do in the PL I wonder?

Issues I see are-

He is very young and the PL is a lot tougher than the Portuguese league, with all due respect.

The quality of the teams in the PL is far superior then they are in Portugal.
    The other issue I have is that- Chelsea seem to have a sort of player power- with bully boy terry leading the pack.

If they don’t like him they will make his life hell. It will be interesting to see how tough he is and if he has the personality to deal with bully boy Terry and the likes of lampard and Drogba who seem to rule the Chelsea dressing room
  15. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 17:13
    Originally posted by Palynka
    15 Million and the most expensive coach transfer ever and bought one year ago for... 0.00 Euros.

I'm happy for the extraordinary season we had and so good luck to him in Chelsea. My heart says I would like him to stay another year, but my head says you can't argue with those numbers. Let's see what happens next year, we still have an extraordinary group of players.
    Of course, it was the right decision for Porto, but I would have preferred a complete team with coach and everything for the Super Cup against Barca. What a match it could have been...

Lets see how many players will follow the coach to a new team. Apparently Falcao is a favorite of Villas-Boas.

@spurs73
    Villas-Boas already know some of the players from when he was an assistant to Mourinho. Otherwise I think he'll put them on the bench and sell them in January.

I, for one, is looking forward to the next season. I think the EPL top will be very close.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree