Group 2 Greece

Group 3 Czech

Group 4 Germany

Group 5 Turkey

Group 6 Croatia

Group 7 France

Group 8 Italy

Group 9 Scotland

At large: Netherlands, Spain, Bulgaria, Sweden, Serbia, Ukraine, Russia, Poland
  2. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 16:26
    Originally posted by Red Night
    My predictions:

Group 9 Scotland

At large: Netherlands, Spain, Bulgaria, Sweden, Serbia, Ukraine, Russia, Poland
    Scotland will not even qualify for a play off spot.
  3. Standard memberknightwest
    General of GROSS
    Calvin's Treehouse
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 16:31
    England shouldn't even consider a manager who would not be given a (hypothetical) job right now at either Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal. If he doesn't have the skills to coach one of the top 4 teams, then how can they let someone loose on the national squad.
  4. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 16:44
    Originally posted by knightwest
    England shouldn't even consider a manager who would not be given a (hypothetical) job right now at either Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal. If he doesn't have the skills to coach one of the top 4 teams, then how can they let someone loose on the national squad.
    I agree that a top coach should be in charge of the national team. But how many of the top 4 would take an English coach on now? Avram Grant at Chelsea hasn't the best track record.

I think Alan Shearer or Harry Redknapp (or both) dhould be given a go. I know Super Al hasn't any experience but neither did Marco vanBasten, michel platini,jurgen klinnsman or Frank Rijkaard.
  5. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 16:54
    Originally posted by Virtue76
    Scotland will not even qualify for a play off spot.
    I agree that Scotland will not get near Holland but it might end up close between Norway and Scotland. I think England got about as good a draw as they could have hoped for (maybe Group 2 would have been better - Greece, but I'm as happy as I could be with the draw). A scotland v England playoff would be an interesting prospect, if England fail to automatically qualify and Scotland manage to get 2nd place.
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 17:21
    I think Alan Shearer or Harry Redknapp (or both) dhould be given a go. I know Super Al hasn't any experience but neither did Marco vanBasten, michel platini,jurgen klinnsman or Frank Rijkaard.
    If you want to give it to someone English with no experience, there's another 50 million+ who might be available.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 17:33
    I agree that a top coach should be in charge of the national team. But how many of the top 4 would take an English coach on now? Avram Grant at Chelsea hasn't the best track record.

he means someone who would be able to get a top 4 job should only be considered for the england job not one of the current top 4 managers, steve or shearer wouldn't be considered.

if the new coach is english then redknapp is the only one who i can see doing a decent job but either o'neil or capello would be much better choices imo.
  8. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 12:27
    Originally posted by trevor33
    he means someone who would be able to get a top 4 job should only be considered for the england job not one of the current top 4 managers, steve or shearer wouldn't be considered.

if the new coach is english then redknapp is the only one who i can see doing a decent job but either o'neil or capello would be much better choices imo.
    I know what he means. Avram Grant wouldn't seriously be considered for the England job, would he? Yet here he is manager of one of Europes biggest clubs with potentially the biggest budget.

Alan Shearer has a little bit more knowledge of the game than the 50million England supporters quoted.
  9. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 13:11
    Alan Shearer has a little bit more knowledge of the game than the 50million England supporters quoted.
    Listening to him as a pundit, I'm not entirely convinced...
  10. Dublin
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 13:45
    Neither did Steve Staunton. That didn't turn out too well!
  11. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 14:57
    Originally posted by Schumi
    Neither did Steve Staunton. That didn't turn out too well!
    England have better individuals than Ireland. Ireland overachieved for a number of years.

England need a coach to gel them as a team much like Jack Charlton did with Ireland in the 80's/90's.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree