1. Joined
    08 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 09:34
    I disagree that I have a minority view. Take for example the rugby that is taking place at the moment...I can guarantee that there were many times more people not watching the game than watching it..I do enjoy watching sports, although my interest is in individual sports rather than team games, but thats not the same as caring about the result.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 09:41
    You know that having a double account is against the Terms of Service, right?
  3. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 09:59
    Originally posted by Palynka
    You know that having a double account is against the Terms of Service, right?
    If he wasn't then he is now.
  4. Joined
    08 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 10:28
    One account is my son's account , one is mine...same initials , different players...are you a site moderator??
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 10:41
    Originally posted by acb123
    One account is my son's account , one is mine...same initials , different players...are you a site moderator??
    Is that why you're answering your son's post as if it were yours?
  6. Joined
    01 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 10:50
    It's half term...my son is in here working for me to earn some cash...you'll have to try and work out who you're talking to..try and keep up!!! Any thoughts on why people get "tribal" when they watch sports?
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 10:52
    Originally posted by ayceebee
    It's half term...my son is in here working for me to earn some cash...you'll have to try and work out who you're talking to..try and keep up!!! Any thoughts on why people get "tribal" when they watch sports?
    I wonder if the moderators will get tribal on you.
  8. Joined
    01 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 11:12
    We have never played each other on-site, we have a board at home...nothing underhand going on I'm afraid...you play under a Portugal flag....do you feel better about yourself when your country's team win a game?
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 11:20
    We have never played each other on-site, we have a board at home...nothing underhand going on I'm afraid...you play under a Portugal flag....do you feel better about yourself when your country's team win a game?
    Sure, but you shouldn't be using his account, even if it is just for writing posts in the forum.

I feel good when my team wins, as much as I feel good when I eat ice-cream on a sunny day. It's not any feeling of superiority over the ice-cream that I enjoy.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 11:33
    do you feel better about yourself when your country's team win a game?
    What about you? Do you feel better about yourself when the team you're playing for wins a game? Is it a tribal feeling?
  11. Joined
    01 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 11:52
    I only play individual sports and my attitude has always been the same as my chess games. I'm an engineer, not a professional athlete or chess player. I don't like to lose...I always do my utmost to win. If my best isn't good enough, I've learnt to get over it. If my country is playing, I wish them well, but I'm not personally affected by the result.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 12:43
    The irony is killing me.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 20:16
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    They need to do something to make it a bit easier to score in soccer. It gets too boring when some games are decided 1-0.
    And yet you like chess. 😉

D
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 23:051 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    As an American, I guess I'm not supposed to say this, but I think European sports are superior to those played in America. Success in soccer (European Football) depends mostly on positioning, speed, and brains, not brute force, as in American football, the same can be said of rugby. Cricket is a wonderful game, and much more interesting to watch than America ...[text shortened]... to this of course, but I think the American sports community has much to learn from Europe. 😏
    Cricket more interesting than baseball? Oh please! I'd rather watch snails fornicate than watch cricket. Test match anyone?!
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 00:40
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Cricket more interesting than baseball? Oh please! I'd rather watch snails fornicate than watch cricket. Test match anyone?!
    i'm not going to get into the cricket vs baseball debate again, i like both.

but you can't can't compare the sports they are very different imo.

i've played cricket at school and been at a batting cage in the states and i can tell you it's harder to hit a baseball than it is to hit a cricket ball but cricket requires concentration on every ball, one bad shot and you're out for the match, that's not so in baseball where you get about 4 at bats a game and an average of .300 hits is pretty good.

i do prefer baseball but you can't say one of the sports in better than the other, i bet there is more cricket fans in the world than there is baseball fans. but that of course means nothing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree