1. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 21:232 edits
    Got on my train home from work tonight and sat in a busy carriage next to a bloke who was getting some papers out of his bag. As he sat up I realised he looked very much like John Aldridge.

When his phone rang and he spoke in an Irish meets Scouser twang I knew it was he! (Edit - More Scouser than Irish though)

I didn't speak to him as he probably gets hassled all the time, so just let him get on with his crossword. Told my Dad who reckons he is a real character so would've been up for some footy banter - opportunity missed.

If I was going to say anything it would've been about USA '94 and that touchline rant, so I'm glad I kept shtum!

Anyone else been that close to a sporting legend with/without breaking the ice?
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 02:26
    Originally posted by rhb
    Got on my train home from work tonight and sat in a busy carriage next to a bloke who was getting some papers out of his bag. As he sat up I realised he looked very much like John Aldridge.

When his phone rang and he spoke in an Irish meets Scouser twang I knew it was he! (Edit - More Scouser than Irish though)

I didn't speak to him as he probably gets has ...[text shortened]... t shtum!

I stumbled into Bobby Charlton after a full day of free booze in the Platinum Lounge of Old Trafford.

I was looking over my shoulder calling my steamboats friend, who was trying to get into Fabien Barthez' Ferrari (while it was being driven), when I bumped into somebody, who turned out to be Sir Bobby himself. I apologised profusely, and carried on.

I don't know what I may have said to him under different circumstances... maybe "Are you as tactically inept managerially as your brother?" or something along those lines.

D
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 03:11
    Well it wasn't sitting. But I once pissed in a urinal next to Christian_Okoye. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Okoye
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 07:17
    Originally posted by rhb

you could have just had a normal conversation with him
  5. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 09:21
    I had Harry Kewell in the shop i work in. Had a bit of a banter, welcome home mate sort of thing, and sold him some things and he was a very personable guy. As you know guys, stars are normal people too, treat them normal and fair and you generally get the person behind the "star".
  6. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 10:19
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    I had Harry Kewell in the shop i work in. Had a bit of a banter, welcome home mate sort of thing, and sold him some things and he was a very personable guy. As you know guys, stars are normal people too, treat them normal and fair and you generally get the person behind the "star".
    I used to run a restaurant Sushi n Brighton. We had quite a few personalities through the door. Chris Coleman, Alan Macanally from football, Andrew Flintoff many times, Ashley Giles from cricket.

Celebrity couples included. Peter Andre and Jordan many times, Les Dennis and Amanda Holden, Frank Skinner with a variety of beautiful women.

My favourite celeb was Patsy Palmer polite and funny.

I saw Anders Limpar returning from training on the tube - that shows how much football has changed in the last 15 years.
  7. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 11:26
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    you could have just had a normal conversation with him
    I guess I could've, though I reasoned that if the situation were reversed (i.e. I was sat on my own flicking between crossword and taking phone calls - famous or not) I'd probably not want anyone trying to start a normal conversation with me.
  8. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 11:28
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    Reminds me of the time I served Roy MacFarland at the local Garden Centre (Riverside, Milford, Derbys) I worked at before uni... I was predictably hungover then and completely failed to realise who it was until my boss (who had been following him around like a doting puppy) pointed out afterwards.
  9. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 13:12
    Bumped in to Nick Hancock at Aberdeen airport this Christmas... he looked totally lost waiting for someone to pick him up... just kept walking up and down outside.

I heckled Chris Moyles 2 years ago whilst on a corporate 'do' at Elland Road... fat git couldn't reply without a script... a great night it was, we hammered 'em 4-0!
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 14:071 edit
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    Well it wasn't sitting. But I once pissed in a urinal next to Christian_Okoye. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Okoye
    I pissed beside Russian boxer Ivan Drago at a strip joint in Toronto about 7 years back. The temptation to start quoting Rocky IV to him was unbelievable high but amazingly I resisted.
  11. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 15:40
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I pissed beside Russian boxer Ivan Drago at a strip joint in Toronto about 7 years back. The temptation to start quoting Rocky IV to him was unbelievable high but amazingly I resisted.
    "If I can change, and you change, anybody can change!"

"I must break you" would have been great too, how could you resist?
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 15:42
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    "If I can change, and you change, anybody can change!"

"I must break you" would have been great too, how could you resist?
    The best is:

"If he dies, he dies."
  13. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 15:48
    Originally posted by darvlay
    The best is:

"If he dies, he dies."
    You think he would have grabbed you by the throat and picked you up and yelled at you in Russian?
  14. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 16:00
    Originally posted by rhb

A few years ago, when I worked in a fast food restaraunt in a mall in Nashville, then Tennesse Titans CB Samari Rolle ordered from the place I worked. I happened to be working the cash register at the time. Anyways Jevon Kearse was also with him but ate from some other place.
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 16:17
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    You think he would have grabbed you by the throat and picked you up and yelled at you in Russian?
    That would've been awesome.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree