1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 15:01
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I will route very strongly for Cincinnati this season 😀
    Well its going to be a looong season for ya. In fact, I think the Dreds are the only team this year to not have a starting pitcher with a win. The entire franchise is a joke.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '10 00:51
    I don't think the Reds are any more of a joke than any other non-Cardinal NL Central team. Look at the rest of the division: The Pirates are as big a joke as anyway. The Brewers pitching just flat out stinks. The Cubs are a disappointment every year with guys like Soriano and Zambrano disappointing. The Astros could easily finish in last
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '10 03:291 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I don't think the Reds are any more of a joke than any other non-Cardinal NL Central team. Look at the rest of the division: The Pirates are as big a joke as anyway. The Brewers pitching just flat out stinks. The Cubs are a disappointment every year with guys like Soriano and Zambrano disappointing. The Astros could easily finish in last
    As I said in my prediction, I hate to bet against the Cardinals, but I would not rule out the Cubs just yet. Picking the Cardinals to win that division every year is pretty much a no brainer, but when the Cubs outspend them by about $30 million it gives me pause to be so presumptuous.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    19 Apr '10 05:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    As I said in my prediction, I hate to bet against the Cardinals, but I would not rule out the Cubs just yet. Picking the Cardinals to win that division every year is pretty much a no brainer, but when the Cubs outspend them by about $30 million it gives me pause to be so presumptuous.
    Cubs just lost 2 out of 3 to Houston
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '10 13:06
    There are other factors in how good a team is other than amount spent. For example, the Twins spend a lot more this year than last year because Mauer signs a big contract but he probably will be worse (because he was MVP last year).
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '10 15:15
    Originally posted by quackquack
    There are other factors in how good a team is other than amount spent. For example, the Twins spend a lot more this year than last year because Mauer signs a big contract but he probably will be worse (because he was MVP last year).
    Don't get me wrong, I recognize the fact that some organizations are better run than other organizations. For example, if a team like the Mets or Cubs spent as much as my Dreds, they would both be the worst teams in baseball. However, since they have tons of cash, they are competitive. Conversely, if a team like the Cardinals had the money the Yankees spend every year, they woud win a World Series every year.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '10 15:161 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Cubs just lost 2 out of 3 to Houston
    😴

Its early, I predict the Cubs to at least have a winning record by years end. LIke I said in my initial prediction, you should never beat against the Cards. They are too well run and spend too much money to bet against even though other teams may spend a little more.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '10 17:00
    Don't get me wrong, I recognize the fact that some organizations are better run than other organizations. For example, if a team like the Mets or Cubs spent as much as my Dreds, they would both be the worst teams in baseball. However, since they have tons of cash, they are competitive. Conversely, if a team like the Cardinals had the money the Yankees spend every year, they woud win a World Series every year.
    It is just not true. Different teams build thier ball clubs different ways and money only can buy certain types of players. If you have lots of free agents you will have an older club and teams like the Yankees don't have young guys with the talent of Price or Longoria or Mauer and Morneau. They were outbid for Chapman and Dice-K and they always pick in the bottom on the draft when they don't lose their picks from signing free agents so they simply do not have the young talent other teams have.
    Finally the idea that the Cardinals are small market team is funny. They can afford the best player in the game (worth 25 - 30M/ year) and signed the highest paid free agent of 2009 to go with him (Holliday at 17M a year). Carpenter also makes almost 15M/ year. The Cardinals buy who they want/ need; they save money becuase it is not a DH league, they don't compete in the same division as NY, Boston, Phillly or LA and they have a lower cost of living so the same amount of salary is actually worth more in the Midwest.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '10 17:16
    😴

Its early, I predict the Cubs to at least have a winning record by years end. LIke I said in my initial prediction, you should never beat against the Cards. They are too well run and spend too much money to bet against even though other teams may spend a little more.
    You should always bet against the Cubs.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '10 17:39
    You should always bet against the Cubs.
    and the mets :'(
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '10 19:50
    Originally posted by trev33
    and the mets :'(
    I think its the Mets' mission to disprove whodey's theories about big-spending teams.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 04:06
    I think its the Mets' mission to disprove whodey's theories about big-spending teams.
    You may be onto something there. 😵
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 14:53
    pfft. For every rule there are a few exceptions. But those exceptions do not disprove the rule.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 May '10 03:001 edit
    Just for fun, I will predict the MLB standings at the end of the year 2010.

American East
    1. Yankees (Boston is a possible alternative, as always. One will win the division and the other the wild card)
    2. Boston
    3. Tampa (Has a winning season simply because they are well run. Possible wild card)
    4. Toronto
    5. Baltimore
    Central
    1. Detroit
    2. Twins ( e)
    2. Giants
    3. Rockies (had the wild card last year but not again)
    4. Arizona
    5. Padres.
    I know its early in the season, too early really to make sense of much. But just for fun lets review the standings and my predictions

American East.
    I chose the Yankees to take it all who are only 1.5 games out of first. To my credit, I did pick Tampa for a wild card who are now in first....but not for long. I would say that Boston is the biggest mystery thus far, but I'm sure they will come around.

American Central
    I chose Detroit to take the division who are only 1/2 game out of first. As I predicted the Twins would compete and probably get a wild card. I stand by that prediction.

American West
    Currently LA is 1.5 games out of first as Texas leads the way. I'm not worried here.

National East
    What can I say. Spot on!!

National Central
    Again, what can I say. Spot on!! The Cards and Cubs lead the way. Like I said, I should never have bet against the Cards.

National West
    This is perhaps my biggest short coming currently. The dodgers are 5 games out, however, like I said its early. I will say that I picked the Giants for second and that is exacly where they are now.

All and all, not bad for simply picking teams based upon pay roll and previous performance. The predictability of MLB is mind numbing.
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    03 May '10 19:13
    I know its early in the season, too early really to make sense of much. But just for fun lets review the standings and my predictions

American East.
    I chose the Yankees to take it all who are only 1.5 games out of first. To my credit, I did pick Tampa for a wild card who are now in first....but not for long. I would say that Boston is the biggest myste ...[text shortened]... eams based upon pay roll and previous performance. The predictability of MLB is mind numbing.
    I picked many of the same teams you picked but to be honest neither of us went out on a limb at all.
    Do you know anyone who did not pick either the Yankees, Tampa or Red Sox as their top three? How much credit do you think you deserve for getting two of those three right?
    The Tigers or the Twins were most people's favorites (although some picked the White Sox). You picked the team that is in second.
    All the teams in the AL west are bunched up so everything is close but the team you picked is 1/2 a game out of last.
    The Phillies went to the world series the last two years so picking them isn't exactly bold and they only have a 1/2 game lead. Similarly, everyone picked the Cardinals and the Cubs in that order and the the Dodgers are tied for last.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree