1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 11:39
    Lively, lively games indeed! Active day indeed! Saudis pummeled Guatemala 6-0, CRC defeated Aussies 3-2, Nigeria stomped Croatia 5-2 and Spain beat Ecuador 2-0. Lots and lots of goals! Highlights available below. Tonights star match: England-Mexico!
    http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcu​p/index.html
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 12:06
    How much are the odds on another 0-0?
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 12:18
    Colombia looks like it may soon be the next Uruguay and make a decent splash at some future major tournament.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 03:12
    Originally posted by Palynka
    How much are the odds on another 0-0?
    Excellent predictive skills, dear Palynka! Indeed 0-0, an advantageous outcome for both since England probably qualifies for one of four best third places with three draws. The other matches compensated greatly for this dud. Mexico missed a PK and many opportunities.

http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/index.html
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 03:132 edits
    Colombia looks like it may soon be the next Uruguay and make a decent splash at some future major tournament.
    Once those Colombian players mature they're sure to make a splash. Portugal is quietly having a very good tournament and Spain is scary good. Nigeria, Egypt and Saudi Arabia are displaying awesome offense. France may yet right their ship and even Costa Rica has displayed awesome talent on the feet of their one creative guy with the American sounding name, Joel Campbell. Many teams are going to salivate over lots of these players. Argentina's Lamela is another one. Lots of speedy Egyptians have looked impressive!
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 08:471 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Once those Colombian players mature they're sure to make a splash. Portugal is quietly having a very good tournament and Spain is scary good. Nigeria, Egypt and Saudi Arabia are displaying awesome offense. France may yet right their ship and even Costa Rica has displayed awesome talent on the feet of their one creative guy with the American sounding nam ...[text shortened]... e players. Argentina's Lamela is another one. Lots of speedy Egyptians have looked impressive!
    Portugal have been decent, but not to be candidates. We have some good talent, but very erratic... Nigeria and Saudi Arabia are probably doing well because Guatemala and Croatia's defenses have been atrocious. I expect their bubble to burst when they face a better challenger. I confess I haven't seen many games, though, but Nigeria came to Portugal to prepare for the tournament and they didn't impress...
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 14:18
    Portugal have been decent, but not to be candidates. We have some good talent, but very erratic... Nigeria and Saudi Arabia are probably doing well because Guatemala and Croatia's defenses have been atrocious. I expect their bubble to burst when they face a better challenger. I confess I haven't seen many games, though, but Nigeria came to Portugal to prepare for the tournament and they didn't impress...
    You are absolutely right. Thus far I am most impressed by Spain. However, teams who take care of business the way the Saudis and Nigerians have, even against weak oppossition, are dangerous and to be taken seriously in the knockout phase. I am sure you're right, but practice in tuning offenses si always a positive. Egyp gave Brazil a run for their money and are the most interesting dark horse IMHO. Their speed and ball handling is awesome indeed. Made one think they were Brazil wearing the wrong color kit! That's how good they are. Should have beaten la Verde Amerella handily. Brazil's defense is better than other years.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 18:53
    Excellent predictive skills, dear Palynka! Indeed 0-0, an advantageous outcome for both since England probably qualifies for one of four best third places with three draws. The other matches compensated greatly for this dud. Mexico missed a PK and many opportunities.

http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/index.html
    I cashed in on it, at least. 🙂 I have a bet for 0-0 for Portugal - NZ. It's not the result I expect, but it's much more likely than the 12-1 I got at Betfair.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 01:471 edit
    I cashed in on it, at least. 🙂 I have a bet for 0-0 for Portugal - NZ. It's not the result I expect, but it's much more likely than the 12-1 I got at Betfair.
    Surely Portugal can dispose of NZ, but we'll see. I swear I had not seen the result when I posted since I got home late. POrtugal 1-0 ovewr NZ! I am shocked Uruguay lost to Cameroon. Colombia should beat up on SK and France should dump Mali.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 10:23
    Surely Portugal can dispose of NZ, but we'll see. I swear I had not seen the result when I posted since I got home late. POrtugal 1-0 ovewr NZ! I am shocked Uruguay lost to Cameroon. Colombia should beat up on SK and France should dump Mali.
    They can (and did), but they are usually very anemic when they don't need to win (which they were). It wasn't far from what I expected, but they did score one...
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 11:17
    They can (and did), but they are usually very anemic when they don't need to win (which they were). It wasn't far from what I expected, but they did score one...
    That was one anemic group indeed. Do you have any idea why Mexico, 2nd place now plays Cameroon, 2nd place? Is it to allow leaders like Colombia to play third place finishers?
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 11:29
    That was one anemic group indeed. Do you have any idea why Mexico, 2nd place now plays Cameroon, 2nd place? Is it to allow leaders like Colombia to play third place finishers?
    Maybe, I'm not sure. Like you say, since there are some 3rd places that got qualified, I imagine some 2nd places need to play each other.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 12:30
    exactly for that reason. first time england have reached the knockout phase since 97 i hear...

i think the best thing about this tourney has been the crowds at each match.
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 13:14
    Originally posted by trev33
    exactly for that reason. first time england have reached the knockout phase since 97 i hear...

i think the best thing about this tourney has been the crowds at each match.
    It has been enjoyable football-wise as well. Some impressive young talent like Lamela, likely to make a splash later and many others. I'm impressed with England's McManaman, Colombia's Muriel, Mexico's Guarsch, the entirety of Spain's squad, a Brazilian here or there, Egypt's tenacity, France's speed. Lot's left to enjoy!
  15. Joined
    08 Dec '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 18:30
    There will be 6 first placed teams, 6 second placed and 4 third placed teams making it to the round of 16. Four first placed teams will play the third place teams. The other 2 first placed teams will play against 2 second placed teams. The other remaining teams (second placed) will play against each other.

Here are the brackets:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/01/34/54/83/fu20wc2011_matchschedule_en_03052011.pdf

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree