1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 16:38
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    And Buster Douglas could never beat Mike Tyson, Upset could never beat Man O' War, the 1980 U.S. Olympic amateur hockey team could never beat the powerful (arguably pro) Russians, Teofilo Stevenson, the great amateur Cuban Olympic heavyweight boxer would never beat any pro boxer, Max Euwe the amateur chessplayer would never beat Alexander Alekhine...period. 😉
    You are talking about a once in a lifetime deal.
    Sure David beat Goliath...ONCE.

If you read what the original argument was, he said that Alabama could beat several NFL teams.

NO, the would not. In all likelihood, they would never beat one team...ever!

Does the chance exist? Sure...just like the same chance that you will die today.
  2. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 17:311 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    The word in the NFL is parity... If Bama could beat an NFL team they could beat any NFL team. There is an athletic gap the size of the grand canyon between 1976 and 2013.
    I don't think there's a 'grand canyon-sized' difference between a modern losing NFL team and the Super Bowl Champions of the sixties and seventies.

If anything, there's a big disparity between the college playeers back then and now.
  3. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 17:373 edits
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    You are talking about a once in a lifetime deal.
    Sure David beat Goliath...ONCE.

If you read what the original argument was, he said that Alabama could beat several NFL teams.

NO, the would not. In all likelihood, they would never beat one team...ever!

Does the chance exist? Sure...just like the same chance that you will die today.
    Who said Alabama would win more than 'once'? Of course the pro teams are better. But to say they would NEVER beat a losing NFL team is much more absurd than saying they would beat them sometimes, albeit rarely.

Teofilo Stevenson would've beaten almost any pro boxer of his time, - not just 'once-in-a-lifetime'...same as Max Euwe.

Why so upset?

I bet in 1992 you would've said there was NO WAY a group of college players (not even the all-star college players at that) would EVER beat the greatest professional team of ANY sport of ANY time, the U.S. Olympic Dream Team.

Ignoring facts/evidence is RJ Hinds-ish.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 18:41
    Who said Alabama would win more than 'once'? Of course the pro teams are better. But to say they would NEVER beat a losing NFL team is much more absurd than saying they would beat them sometimes, albeit rarely.

Teofilo Stevenson would've beaten almost any pro boxer of his time, - not just 'once-in-a-lifetime'...same as Max Euwe.

Why so upset?

I ...[text shortened]... port of ANY time, the U.S. Olympic Dream Team.

Ignoring facts/evidence is RJ Hinds-ish.
    Tell me genius.... how many of those "once in a lifetime events" did you have the
    sack to wager and win on?

The answer...none!! Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20 you hack!!
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 00:52
    I don't think there's a 'grand canyon-sized' difference between a modern losing NFL team and the Super Bowl Champions of the sixties and seventies.

If anything, there's a big disparity between the college playeers back then and now.
    Only the best in college even make it to the nfl and from that group only a select few ever amount to anything... The NFL has different rules, the players are bigger, faster and stronger. The difference in athletic ability is what i was talking about, not the ability of the superbowl champs from the 70s inability to beat a losing NFL team today, even so i think a KC or a Jacksonville would make the playoffs if transported back in time to the 70s. Not to knock the accomplishments of past teams but everything advances and somethings get left behind... People are constantly raising the bar.

I would also point out the advancement in training technology and technique from the 70s to now and also between college and the NFL.
  6. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 14:322 edits
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Tell me genius.... how many of those "once in a lifetime events" did you have the
    sack to wager and win on?

The answer...none!! Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20 you hack!!
    I would bet my life and my family's life that a losing pro team wouldn't beat 'Bama EVERY game. Remember, short-(fill in the blank), you said it would NEVER happen. It has happened before. Would you have the sack to wager that 'Bama would NEVER beat a losing NFL team. I said it was possible. You said ..."they would never beat one team...ever!"
    Pure genius.
  7. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 14:383 edits
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Only the best in college even make it to the nfl and from that group only a select few ever amount to anything... The NFL has different rules, the players are bigger, faster and stronger. The difference in athletic ability is what i was talking about, not the ability of the superbowl champs from the 70s inability to beat a losing NFL team today, even so i ...[text shortened]... t in training technology and technique from the 70s to now and also between college and the NFL.
    Why do you think the bar is being raised only in the pros? It's also being raised in the colleges. Many college players leave early and succeed in the pros. Yes, only the best do, but 'Bama was the best team, and many considered them one of the best teams ever. I'm pretty sure the 2011 Crimson Tide, with that great defense, would also beat all of the college teams in the seventies.

The NBA also has different rules than colleges. So does the Olympics. Our pros have lost to other countries, even though rarely. The disparity between us and the rest of the world in that aspect is getting smaller.

One more time, and I'n sure you'll completely ignore it again: The OLYMPIC DREAM TEAM, the GREATEST pro team ever of ANY sport in HISTORY, lost a scrimmage game to a bunch of college players. This was not in the seventies. It was the nineties.

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/the-dream-teams-very-bad-day/
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 21:00
    I would bet my life and my family's life that a losing pro team wouldn't beat 'Bama EVERY game. Remember, short-(fill in the blank), you said it would NEVER happen. It has happened before. Would you have the sack to wager that 'Bama would NEVER beat a losing NFL team. I said it was possible. You said ..."they would never beat one team...ever!"
    Pure genius.
    Tell you what.

Set up 20 games and I'll bet the pro side in every game and I'll be holding your money when the results are in.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 22:401 edit
    Why do you think the bar is being raised only in the pros? It's also being raised in the colleges. Many college players leave early and succeed in the pros. Yes, only the best do, but 'Bama was the best team, and many considered them one of the best teams ever. I'm pretty sure the 2011 Crimson Tide, with that great defense, would also beat all of the co ineties.

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/the-dream-teams-very-bad-day/
    The bar is being raised but the difference in training is enormous unless the kid is rich.

The best ever? They lost a game and almost lost the SEC championship.

Basketball to football is apples and oranges. The difference is that there is less disparity in skill from college to pro in basketball than football since being well founded in the fundamentals will take you really far in basketball whereas you need a truck load of talent to back it up in football.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree