1. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    13 Jul '18 22:181 edit
    Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
    Really, Roma?

Do you remember who came 3rd in the last WC without googling?

They really should do away with this totally pointless game.

Anyway, good luck with the bet. Those Croatian lads can pass a football!
    I agree with not playing for third but I think it will be a good game normally plenty goals.
    Stats wise no country for ages with a population of under 40 million has won..Croatia has 4.
    The French team transfer value is over one billion. If they release the hand brake it will be a one sided game.
    Good odds for 4 or more goals in Belgium game looks tempting.

Edit..Netherlands finished third.
    If England do win it will sound better saying they finished third than losing in the semis?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    13 Jul '18 22:271 edit
    Uruguay is small popn? That's why you have 'ages' ? Think France will win, but, as England fan be nice to go out to eventual winners!

We needed 2nd goal after Trippier's cracking free kick. Faded badly as the game went on.

Question what Lingard brings to the table, Ali and even Kane anonymous as the game wore on.

But, to be in the last 3 of 32, no one in England really expected that.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    13 Jul '18 22:39
    Well, if we lose tomorrow, will mean we ended a promising tournament by losing last 2 games.

If you lose in semi, you go home. In every other ko competition I know of. Apart from Olympics, where a Bronze medal is to be played for.

( They used to have a 3/4 play off game in the World Snooker. What's snorefest that would be!)
  4. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 09:20
    Well, if we lose tomorrow, will mean we ended a promising tournament by losing last 2 games.

If you lose in semi, you go home. In every other ko competition I know of. Apart from Olympics, where a Bronze medal is to be played for.

( They used to have a 3/4 play off game in the World Snooker. What's snorefest that would be!)
    Winning team today get an extra £1.4 million
    Plus players do get a bronze medal.
    I think they will take it seriously I am actually looking forward to the game.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 09:56
    The TEAM get an extra 1.4 million

Divided by 23

less than a week's wages to every one of them

Listening to Danny Baker on Radio 5, he likens the game to 'throwing a starving dog a rubber bone' . Afraid I am in his camp!

Enjoy, hope, at least, there are a few goals for you
  6. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 11:24
    The TEAM get an extra 1.4 million

Divided by 23

less than a week's wages to every one of them

Listening to Danny Baker on Radio 5, he likens the game to 'throwing a starving dog a rubber bone' . Afraid I am in his camp!

Enjoy, hope, at least, there are a few goals for you
    Danny baker?
    Now I hope you are joking that mouth knows nothing about football in fact nothing about anything.
    Plus players don't get the extra money that goes to the FA after paying fines for England players wearing the wrong socks and fans chanting the wrong songs.
    Players are playing for pride.
    Fans will spend a lot of money to go and most would be more than happy to finish third before the tournament started.
    England got a good reputation back but that will count for nothing if they get beat today.
    Two trains of thought.
    1. Wow England got to the semis just to lose closely. Not fair we have to play again..boo hoo. They knew the rules at the start.
    2) England got lucky played the worst teams there. Then got beat on purpose to get the easy side. Cheated with the kane dive to scrap past Colombia. Beat a old Sweden team then got out played by the smallest nation left.
    Today is a marker on how good they are.
    So the game is anything but meaningless plus Belgium at even money Christmas is coming early...😉

Note. For those who don't know who fanny baker is think of the most obnoxious person you know then multiply by a million....even then that's not even close..
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 12:00
    dont you like DB then? He is a vinyl fan, and that will do for me!

I think you are into anti English rant mode again.

Sweden were as poor against England, because they were made to look that way. In fact, they topped their group (which included Germany) and thrashed the fancied Mexico 3-0 in the last group game, better than Brazil did against them.

If you think today's game is important, ok. Good for you. I too would get onto Belgium at those odds.
  8. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 12:341 edit
    dont you like DB then? He is a vinyl fan, and that will do for me!

I think you are into anti English rant mode again.

Sweden were as poor against England, because they were made to look that way. In fact, they topped their group (which included Germany) and thrashed the fancied Mexico 3-0 in the last group game, better than Brazil did aga ...[text shortened]... u think today's game is important, ok. Good for you. I too would get onto Belgium at those odds.
    No anti England rant just putting the performance into perspective.
    Every one agrees Germany were awful but still beat Sweden 2-1.
    Croatia scrapped through after two penalty shoot outs
    But out played England.
    You bet against England.?
    I would never bet on any team I support to lose no matter the odds.
    I will watch the game later going to see st Johnstone play east Fife at 3Pm in league cup.
    No spoilers on score please😉
    As for game being important the media will decide after the result is known.
    1) brave England finish third. We got close boys.
    Or
    2) England lose meaningless game. Time to scrap it.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 12:41
    the 'covering bet' thing. I had 25 on Croatia to go through. I won almost 50 quid, plus my stake back, when they beat us.

Did I WANT to win it? Cause not. It just sweetened the pill a little. My little quirk.

Domestic stuff up North starting already? Early!

Your last point about how the press will view the game is spot on. But what do the press know. Enjoy the sport
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 19:59

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 20:39
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That was like predicting water is wet.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 20:53
    Originally posted by @roma45
    That was like predicting water is wet.
    Yep

You could see Gareth really targeted it

5 changes from his strongest starting XI.

Thank God that waste of time is over. Well done, D. Just need Croatia to come good for your 7/2 punt to come in
  13. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 21:12
    Yep

You could see Gareth really targeted it

5 changes from his strongest starting XI.

Thank God that waste of time is over. Well done, D. Just need Croatia to come good for your 7/2 punt to come in
    So you have a manager who does not care about trying to win? Or putting on a show for the travelling fans.
    England could have played all 23 players and still lost such was the gulf totally outclassed.
    France minus one goal at 3/1 tomorrow.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 21:171 edit
    About trying to win in a meaningless game?

I know you. You are winding up, and I aint biting.

When Scotland ever get to the 3/4 play off place in the WC, then you can give an opinion. ie never

Good luck with the bet, think you may be underestimating Croatia, but a fair bet

(Hey, we lost 2-0, not 10-0!! Hardly highlights a gulf in class !!)
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '18 04:18

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree