1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 23:04
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I agree. 😀
    no way he is good enough on clay to make the semis yet. plus gonzales grew up on clay it didn't can't a mathwizz to place a bet on that match 😉
  2. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 23:49
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    Well I reckon it will be
    Monfils v Del Potro

Gonzalez will beat Soderling
    Del Potro will beat Monfils

Del Potro v Gonzalez (All S American Final)

But who knows!
    Yes Gonzales should make the final. Both Monfils and Del Potro have been playing great but neither have ever beat Federer on any surface. I expect Federer to start playing like himself after the Haas match and get through also. Federer is still the second best clay court player in the world, whether or not he wins it has to do with his own play.
  3. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 07:05
    I agree, but on the evidence I have seen so far Monfils is playing a lot better tennis, for sure if Federer can up his game and play like he is capable of doing then he will win the whole thing. However that is a big 'if'!
  4. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 17:02
    I agree, but on the evidence I have seen so far Monfils is playing a lot better tennis, for sure if Federer can up his game and play like he is capable of doing then he will win the whole thing. However that is a big 'if'!
    He's starting to get it going, straight sets over Monfils. Del Potro(who is currently winning) should be a bigger test.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 22:152 edits
    Originally posted by RandyFlagg
    He's starting to get it going, straight sets over Monfils. Del Potro(who is currently winning) should be a bigger test.
    that Haas match was a very rare time where Federer has had to rally from 2 sets down and find a way to win in a match where he didn't have anything close to his best "stuff".

The amazing thing with Federer is how rare it has been for him to face adversity during his matches during the majors (except for his matches with Nadal). He's so used to breezing through his matches and always having his A game -- so when a match does get close, Federer does seem to choke just a little bit -- just enough to allow Nadal to win.

There used to be something unhuman about Federer's dominance. But he seems to have lost a bit of his quickness -- it's not as easy now as it used to be -- but this means he's getting tested more often. It'll be fun to watch Federer win some majors where he has to grind out some long 5-setters and ugly matches. And I believe we have yet to see the best of the Federer-Nadal faceoffs
  6. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 02:15
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    that Haas match was a very rare time where Federer has had to rally from 2 sets down and find a way to win in a match where he didn't have anything close to his best "stuff".

The amazing thing with Federer is how rare it has been for him to face adversity during his matches during the majors (except for his matches with Nadal). He's so used to breezing ...[text shortened]... nd ugly matches. And I believe we have yet to see the best of the Federer-Nadal faceoffs
    I agree, any majors Federer wins fom this point on are going to be hard earned and in my opinion they will mean a lot more for his legacy.
  7. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 18:011 edit
    Well he has had tough 5 setters the last couple of slams and done OK.

2008 US which he won he had a tough 5 set match against Andreev.

2009 Aus (which he really should have won) he was 2 sets down against Berdych and won.

He seems to do well after a tough match!

I personally I don't think he has been quite right since he had the mono!
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 10:30
    Federer's record against the three men left in the tournament is ridiculous. 27-1 in total.

Out of 69 sets of tennis against the three he has won 63.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 22:02
    another 5-set struggle for Federer -- but he found a way to win and now all he needs to do is defeat Soderling. But nothing has been easy at French this year - I predict another 5-setter.
  10. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 22:05
    Well it's not a sure thing. I think Soderling has played great. If Federer is not on top form it could be quite nasty for him!
  11. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 03:43
    Soderling has kept up a level of play I though he would be incapable of, no reason to think he won't perform like that in the final. I hope Roger is ready for five. Both players may be a bit gassed.
  12. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:12
    Trust me Federer will not win the French this year!!
    I have never been happier to be soooo wrong!! 🙂
  13. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 04:05
    Yeah you can't help but feel great for the guy.
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 11:53
    I have never been happier to be soooo wrong!! 🙂
    Judging by your predcitions in this thread i wouldn't put any bets on at Wimbledon if i were you.
  15. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 21:12
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Judging by your predcitions in this thread i wouldn't put any bets on at Wimbledon if i were you.
    Indeed! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree