1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 15:15
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Sorry....disagree with you there. The DH alone makes it bastardized.
    The pureness of the DH is completely overrated. The list of pitchers who stink in the AL and are sucessful in the NL a larger part because every ninth batter is virtually a free out is endless.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 15:18
    Originally posted by quackquack
    There are teams in tougher divsions who have been playing .600 ball since the beginning of the year and you think the Tigers are unstoppable because they picked up an over-roided and under talented guy like Wilson Betemit? The Tigers are a good team and anyone can win in the playoffs but the team is an invincible superteam is almost as delusional as your political views.
    Nonsense. Our current lineup has five .300 hitters in it. With Betemit at .292, that's only three spots at less than .292. We are invincible. INVINCIBLE!!! Since the beginning of August, we've been pouring on the runs...5.82 runs per game. PER GAME!
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 15:33
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Nonsense. Our current lineup has five .300 hitters in it. With Betemit at .292, that's only three spots at less than .292. We are invincible. INVINCIBLE!!! Since the beginning of August, we've been pouring on the runs...5.82 runs per game. PER GAME!
    I am glad you are enjoying your Tigers. I do believe they are a good team but a baseball team with one good month simply is not invincible.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 15:56
    I am glad you are enjoying your Tigers. I do believe they are a good team but a baseball team with one good month simply is not invincible.
    It's not just a good month. The whole point of this thread is to show that they're a fundamentally different team now. Our last season acquisitions have transformed us into an invincible super-team. What happened before August has no bearing on the team that's on the field now. The Tigers are now an unstoppable juggernaut.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 17:10
    It's not just a good month. The whole point of this thread is to show that they're a fundamentally different team now. Our last season acquisitions have transformed us into an invincible super-team. What happened before August has no bearing on the team that's on the field now. The Tigers are now an unstoppable juggernaut.
    Your thoughts are more amusing than accurate. Perhaps our teams will meet in the playoffs.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 17:36
    'late' season, not 'last' season.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 17:36
    Your thoughts are more amusing than accurate. Perhaps our teams will meet in the playoffs.
    Then you shall die! Or at least be humiliated.
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 01:22
    Then you shall die! Or at least be humiliated.
    Not so sure there. I know he is a Phillies fan.
    The Phillies ARE a better team then Detroit top to bottom.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 01:51
    Not so sure there. I know he is a Phillies fan.
    The Phillies ARE a better team then Detroit top to bottom.
    They've got the pitching, I'll give them that. But they'll still lose.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 12:19
    Another glorious win for the Tigers, 8-4 over the Twins. Penny gave up four in the 1st, but it didn't matter. No deficit is insurmountable for the Tigers. That's seven in a row, putting them 9.5 up on the White Sox. The "magic number" is down to ten. Post season tickets go on sale Monday, but its a free order of curly fries today.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 16:11
    They've got the pitching, I'll give them that. But they'll still lose.
    You are obviously knowledgeable about the game.

As such, I am sure you know that pitching wins championships.
    Verlander is great, but he can't pitch 4 out of 7 games.

The Phillies 4th starter is better than Detroit's second best starter.
    Detroit cannot handle Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and Hammels.
    Their hitting is simply not good enough.
    Perhaps if the could summon back Ty Cobb, Al Kaline, Charlie Gehringer,
    Hank Greenberg, Mickey Lolich, Denny McLain (1967-68 version), and Hal Newhowser
    then I would say Detroit had a shot.

But, enjoy the ride into the playoffs. There is a lot of ball yet to be played.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 16:32
    You are obviously knowledgeable about the game.

As such, I am sure you know that pitching wins championships.
    Verlander is great, but he can't pitch 4 out of 7 games.

The Phillies 4th starter is better than Detroit's second best starter.
    Detroit cannot handle Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and Hammels.
    Their hitting is simply not good enough.
    Perhaps i ...[text shortened]... had a shot.

But, enjoy the ride into the playoffs. There is a lot of ball yet to be played.
    With eight teams going into the postseason, the chance of the Tigers meeting up with the Phillies in the World Series is not exactly good. Either team could be eliminated before then.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 16:44
    With eight teams going into the postseason, the chance of the Tigers meeting up with the Phillies in the World Series is not exactly good. Either team could be eliminated before then.
    This is true. However, I was responding to your comment where you stated Detroit
    would beat his team (aka Phillies).

Not attempting to be a prognosticator that those two would meet in the WS.
    Especially since I don't think that will be the match up.
    If I were going to wager, it would be for a Phillie - Yankees (or Rangers) match up.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 17:07
    This is true. However, I was responding to your comment where you stated Detroit
    would beat his team (aka Phillies).

Not attempting to be a prognosticator that those two would meet in the WS.
    Especially since I don't think that will be the match up.
    If I were going to wager, it would be for a Phillie - Yankees (or Rangers) match up.
    Verlander, Fister and Scherzer make for a competent postseason 1-2-3. I'm not concerned about the starting pitching. What could be a big edge for the Phillies, though, is the Tigers not being able to use Martinez at DH for games in Philly. His contribution to the team has been enormous. Last year Cabrera was intentionally walked 32 times. This year, with Martinez batting behind him, he's been intentionally walked only 18 times.
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 19:04
    Verlander, Fister and Scherzer make for a competent postseason 1-2-3. I'm not concerned about the starting pitching. What could be a big edge for the Phillies, though, is the Tigers not being able to use Martinez at DH for games in Philly. His contribution to the team has been enormous. Last year Cabrera was intentionally walked 32 times. This year, with Martinez batting behind him, he's been intentionally walked only 18 times.
    Competent is not "dominating" friend!!

Competent will get you to the dance, but it won't win you the prize.
    And, competent does not make you a powerhouse.

Regarding your DH crutch....shouldn't be an obstacle for a monster club.
    Play Martinez in the line up if he is so valuable.
    As far as hitting goes...Halladay and Lee were AL pitchers so they have no bat prowess.
    Oswalt can hit a bit, so in his games there will be a slight edge to Philly in the pitcher's
    hitting department.
    Hamels is not a stud with the stick either.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree