1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 21:31
    Originally posted by trev33
    they'd have trouble beating the mexican and american under 17 teams never mind the seniors. i'm not a fan of the n. irish soccer team, they should have a united ireland team like in rugby and field hockey.

peru are in it? 😀
    Oh I forgot about the "Fighting Llamas" from Peru. 😉😀
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '11 12:19
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Oh I forgot about the "Fighting Llamas" from Peru. 😉😀
    Fighting llamas cannot play in CONCACAF. Too far south! Go USA!!!!!!!
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '11 13:41
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Fighting llamas cannot play in CONCACAF. Too far south! Go USA!!!!!!!
    They could if CONCACAF invited guest teams again. They've been in the Gold Cup as guests before.

Richard
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '11 19:36
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    They could if CONCACAF invited guest teams again. They've been in the Gold Cup as guests before.

Richard
    True. but this was an exclusive CONCACAF event. So who do you favor? Go USA!!!!!!
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 19:47
    oops. completely outplayed... 4-2 was kind on the states.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 23:13
    oops. completely outplayed... 4-2 was kind on the states.
    Not completely. Mexico began playing well down 2-0 (first half). Bet you didn't think they'd pull it out. Hats off to them indeed. That fabulous goal to go up 3-2 was a thing of beauty. Now if Mexico could only play that well against tougher opponents. They remind me a lot of England. Loads of talent individually, but collectively bad. Game was more important to Mexico than to USA. I believe it was shameful to Balkanize USA by having the post-game awards done only in Spanish. Reconquista crap has no place in sports!
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 20:33
    Now if Mexico could only play that well against tougher opponents. They remind me a lot of England. Loads of talent individually, but collectively bad. Game was more important to Mexico than to USA.
    i disagree, the last 3 world cups they've reached the last 16, considering where their players play their domestic football that's pretty impressive. the england players look good playing for utd, chelsea etc. but put them in an england shirt it's like watching pub team play on sunday mornings.
  8. Joined
    08 Dec '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 03:53
    i disagree, the last 3 world cups they've reached the last 16, considering where their players play their domestic football that's pretty impressive. the england players look good playing for utd, chelsea etc. but put them in an england shirt it's like watching pub team play on sunday mornings.
    Mexico made the round of 16 in the last 5 World Cups
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 10:01
    Originally posted by damionhonegan
    Mexico made the round of 16 in the last 5 World Cups
    i didn't look past the last 3 🙂
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 11:261 edit
    You're easily impressed then. Mexico has made it to the quarters twice, 70 and 86 on home soil. USA made it to the semis and placed third in the first world cup. In the last confederation cup they beat European champion Spain. Mexico wilts against the tougher opposition, are a thin skinned bunch, yell "Osama, Osama" when USA plays in Mexico and shower USA players witht urine while coming through the tunnel. In 1990 their youth team was caught playing overage players and got the entire federation banned from internationals. In this gold cup they were caught with five players using a banned substance. The proud Mexican tradition of cheating lives on. They won this meaningless cup with ref help in their two knockout games before the final with the ref awarding a phantom goal against El Salvador. I would not be surprised one iota that they are at the root of the current match fixing going on about this gold cup.

USA does more with less. Have you ever watched a Mexican league game? Yikes! Makes MLS seem like "la liga" by comparison. England is a real enigma. One of the better leagues on the planet, great individual players who play terrible collectively.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 12:21
    You're easily impressed then. Mexico has made it to the quarters twice, 70 and 86 on home soil. USA made it to the semis and placed third in the first world cup. In the last confederation cup they beat European champion Spain. Mexico wilts against the tougher opposition, are a thin skinned bunch, yell "Osama, Osama" when USA plays in Mexico and shower U ...[text shortened]... the better leagues on the planet, great individual players who play terrible collectively.
    we were comparing mexico to england. epl one of the strongest leagues in the world with just over half of englands first team getting regular champions league latter stages football... mexico poor national league, 'star' players unable to get games at their clubs but yet aways get it together and put in good performances in the world cup. most countries would kill to have 5 last 16 appearances in a row at the world cup. in that time england has has, 2 last 16 knockouts, 2 quarter final knockouts and in 94 they didn't even qualify.

all things considered you really can't compare the two... mexico should be proud of what they've achieved in recent world cups, england should hang their heads in shame.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 13:26
    we were comparing mexico to england. epl one of the strongest leagues in the world with just over half of englands first team getting regular champions league latter stages football... mexico poor national league, 'star' players unable to get games at their clubs but yet aways get it together and put in good performances in the world cup. most countries would ...[text shortened]... ud of what they've achieved in recent world cups, england should hang their heads in shame.
    Unquestionably England has had poor performances, yet at least they won it all in 66. What does Mexico have to show for its "alleged" great performances? Absolutely nothing! Simply put Mexico thinks they're great and have accomplished nothing. They whine, get belligerent against "disrespecting" refs who don't kiss their hineys and frequently evidence no compunction in cheating like in 1990. Frankly since they have never made it as far as team USA I rate them way below. Mexico will never equal Argentina's, Uruguay's, Brazil's accomplishments. USA soccer has at least won the women's WC. Mexico? Zippo! For grit and determination give me Germany. There's a team that always seems to overachieve! Spain finally got it together. Mexico? Never will amount to much better than round of 16 and elimination in knockout games.
  13. Joined
    08 Dec '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 17:22
    Unquestionably England has had poor performances, yet at least they won it all in 66. What does Mexico have to show for its "alleged" great performances? Absolutely nothing! Simply put Mexico thinks they're great and have accomplished nothing. They whine, get belligerent against "disrespecting" refs who don't kiss their hineys and frequently evidence no ...[text shortened]... Never will amount to much better than round of 16 and elimination in knockout games.
    Well, Mexico won the 1999 Confederations Cup. However, that was on home soil.
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 21:18
    Originally posted by damionhonegan
    Well, Mexico won the 1999 Confederations Cup. However, that was on home soil.
    That's another meaningless cup. Brazil won the last one and were eliminated in the quarters in 2010 WC. USA made it to the fnal last conf cup and lost after being up 2-0 on Brazil then caved. Best team to never win anything is Netherlands. Like Mexico they lack the eye of the tiger, whine too much and resort to hacking rather than playing if they become frustrated. Not my favorite bunch at all. I predicted the outcome of the finals down to the score, one Netherlands sendoff and only failed to predict overtime. Wrong Dutch player was sent off. Like the Dutch, Mexico resorts to hacking instead of playing on. I agree the refs missed a call when allowing the goal in offsides, but instead of playing to get the score back the players roughed up a linesman. Should have had several sentoff, but because they are "Mexico" and everyone seems to kiss their collective hineys there were no repercussions. I have no admiration for Mexico's national side. Will never amount to much!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree