1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 01:38
    Originally posted by Esoteric
    Beat Italy???????

You drew 1-1 in a game where the US dragged Italy down to their level. And your only goal came from a freakish own goal by an Italian defender!
    you're right...I mis-spoke...we were the only team to play and not to lose to the eventual world champions.

Pretty impressive in my book.
  2. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 10:17
    Originally posted by Red Night
    you're right...I mis-spoke...we were the only team to play and not to lose to the eventual world champions.

Pretty impressive in my book.
    Pretty lucky in mine.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 20:22
    What a chaotic game. Lots of will and effort but no sense of positioning or tactics.

Are both coaches that bad or did they have too little time to work with their teams?
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 21:07
    Congrats to the US for the win!
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 02:231 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Congrats to the US for the win!
    Thanks Palynka.

Actually, I thought the US looked better against Mexico than they did against Canada.

Here is what the NY Times had to say:

"Widespread bilingual television coverage and large crowds nationwide demonstrated that the Gold Cup is gaining both in recognition and prestige from its modest 1991 origins. The standard of play among of the region’s 12 participants was higher than observers predicted, particularly by Guadeloupe, which lost in the semifinals. And viewers and fans were accordingly rewarded with an exciting and technically proficient championship game that raised the bar for future tournaments."
  6. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 02:28
    USA remains undefeated in 2007 and captures it's 4th Gold Cup and second in a row..

Next up? If it's Thursday it must be Argentina.

This will be a real test for a US side that is clearly the most improved 11 in the world in 2007.

Can Bob Bradley continue to work his magic? Will TEAM USA shock the world again? Tune in Thursday for what is likely to be the one of the most exciting and fiercest competitions of the year.
  7. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 04:01
    gj USA!
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 05:56
    Damn it.

😞
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 08:52
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Thanks Palynka.

Actually, I thought the US looked better against Mexico than they did against Canada.
    I didn't see the previous game, but I felt that both teams were all over the place. They more than made up for the lack of organization with impressive determination and effort, particularly the US.

Like I said, well done. Personally, I don't think you're top ten yet, but football isn't an exact science.
  10. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 10:23
    Mexico will declare war on the U.S. tomorrow for the 2-1 score 😠
  11. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 17:431 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Mexico will declare war on the U.S. tomorrow for the 2-1 score 😠
    haven't had a good war with you guys since the 1850's.

bring it!!

😀
  12. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 17:48
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I didn't see the previous game, but I felt that both teams were all over the place. They more than made up for the lack of organization with impressive determination and effort, particularly the US.

Like I said, well done. Personally, I don't think you're top ten yet, but football isn't an exact science.
    right now fifa has us ranked 16th, up from 39th (?) after the cup and still down from 5th (?) before the cup. In my mind I would rank the top ten in the world:

1. Italy (they're the champs)
    2. Brazil
    3. Portugal
    4. Germany
    5. Netherlands
    6. France (this may be too high without Zidane, too low with Zidane)
    7. Argentina
    8. England
    9. US
    10. Nigeria

Obviously that is open to all sorts of debate, but that is the way I see it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree