1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 19:49
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    maybe for you, but very possible if you know what you are doing.
    LOL
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 00:171 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Wow, you're so cool.
    Do you wear those awesome chequered three-quarter pants with long woolly socks too? I do, and they always make me feel like an awesome golfer too...

I play in the low 90s and now and then get a score in the 80s. I had a 12 handicap as a junior. I may not get enough time to play these days, but I've played the game for almost 2 decad ...[text shortened]... is a mountain of crap, drizzled with your assurance that you "know how to handle yourself".
    If you play to that caliber, then you are full of crap if you don't think you can play a 7 iron in a trap or play a punch shot with it. They actuaully play tournaments where you are only allowed 1, 2 or 3 clubs. The seven iron is the center club in your bag and should be the club you are the most consistent with. It only seems logical it would be the club you would choose if you only had one to play. Guess your vast experience isn't so great.

Also, bring your wallet and we'll play and you can see exactly what I wear.
  3. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 03:27
    If you play to that caliber, then you are full of crap if you don't think you can play a 7 iron in a trap or play a punch shot with it. They actuaully play tournaments where you are only allowed 1, 2 or 3 clubs. The seven iron is the center club in your bag and should be the club you are the most consistent with. It only seems logical it would be the cl ...[text shortened]... sn't so great.

Never heard of a tourn. with a 3 club limit. Wouldn't be interested in it anyway a waste of good greens fee.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 06:331 edit
    If you play to that caliber, then you are full of crap if you don't think you can play a 7 iron in a trap or play a punch shot with it. They actuaully play tournaments where you are only allowed 1, 2 or 3 clubs. The seven iron is the center club in your bag and should be the club you are the most consistent with. It only seems logical it would be the cl ...[text shortened]... sn't so great.

You're going in circles. Did you actually, you know, read the posts leading up to your reply with your 7 iron post?

A bunker in front and water at the back, means you're going to play 10 shots with your trusty 7 if you go at the pin and you're not a pro golfer. Even Tiger would struggle with that.

I never suggested that learning punch shots or bunker play with a 7 is a bad idea, but telling someone who is at the moment struggling with consistency to play 18 with only a 7 is BS advice.
    He is obviously not drilled enough on his swing, so getting proper control of the irons is grip, stance and swing swing swing.
    Once your swing and distance control is second nature, THEN you can go out with a 3 wood, 7 iron and putter.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 23:55
    You're going in circles. Did you actually, you know, read the posts leading up to your reply with your 7 iron post?

A bunker in front and water at the back, means you're going to play 10 shots with your trusty 7 if you go at the pin and you're not a pro golfer. Even Tiger would struggle with that.

I never suggested that learning punch shots or bunker p ...[text shortened]... and distance control is second nature, THEN you can go out with a 3 wood, 7 iron and putter.
    Give me a break genius. The question was posed how would you go about hitting the shot with a bunker in front and water behind. I answered how i would approach it, and it is doable. Didn't say it was an ideal situation, but you laid the question out there. That is probably the only way you could legitimately attack the shot with a 7 iron as well, but I will defer to your genius if you have a better solution.

Secondly, it wasn't me who said to play the seven iron for an entire round, however you are totally full of crap on the topic because I know two pros who suggest playing a round with nothing but a 7 iron. So, maybe, just maybe, the idea wasn't too far fetched. You see, the concept is to develop a consistent swing, and to play target golf, which you would have to do with a 7 iron. Now, maybe it is too much to expect everyone to be able to do it, but I have played an entire round with a 7 iron. So, go ahead Professor Putter and give us your "expert" opinion.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 06:30
    Just to get back on track slightly, my iron play is fine, 95% of the time I hit a 7 iron 165yds and never slice them. The keys points I need to attack are driving straight and putting distance perception (I always knock my puts too soft).
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 08:50
    I know two pros who suggest playing a round with nothing but a 7 iron. So, maybe, just maybe, the idea wasn't too far fetched. You see, the concept is to develop a consistent swing, and to play target golf, which you would have to do with a 7 iron. Now, maybe it is too much to expect everyone to be able to do it, but I have played an entire round with a 7 iron. So, go ahead Professor Putter and give us your "expert" opinion.
    Which pros? If the info is out there and people swear by it, then fine, I'll defer to these professionals.
    I've never heard of this advice, especially to help with consistency, because playing with only one club means you WON'T be swinging consistently - you'll be changing grip, stance and swing for half your shots.

So, put up or shut up. Let's see the links to this 'advice'...
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 09:04
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Just to get back on track slightly, my iron play is fine, 95% of the time I hit a 7 iron 165yds and never slice them. The keys points I need to attack are driving straight and putting distance perception (I always knock my puts too soft).
    Sorry for the slight hijack...

Anyway, I had a slicing problem too.
    In my experience, The hips advice by shorty on page one is sound, but a small grip change for me did wonders and I now draw the ball slightly off the tee.
    It was simply moving my bottom thumb slightly over to the left of my top thumb, looking down at the grip - if this makes sense.
  9. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 00:10
    I'm no golf pro, but in my mind this is crap advice.
    A player now has to force himself to change his swing all the time and this is counter-productive.

An amateur needs to work on consistent, properly executed swing, as this is where all us hackers struggle.
    This may work for an experienced golfer trying to work out a little niggle, but not for an in ...[text shortened]... ps and swings when closer to the green.

Work on your shots on the range, not on the course.
    I was merely posting off the back of your "with a 7 iron, not likely" comment.

Got off your soap box Crowley, some of your input is valuable but the rest pretty flamed. I think Liam was looking for advice not counter productivity.

As for the so-called "bunker in front and water behind" crap that is down to the individuals standard and can be played as a percentage shot. You could be the best player in the world out of a bunker so if your afraid of the run off into the water and if you cant generate backspin off the green then why not put it in the bunker then play an up and down from there? better than a penalty right? but then if your good with a lob wedge and can get plenty of loft then play that approach. EVERY player has a different approach to the game, not one person can say what is right, only the individual concerned.
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 21:23
    Originally posted by rmacken
    I think Liam was looking for advice not counter productivity.
    Exactly. Thank god I was around to help him out.
  11. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '09 09:32
    Exactly. Thank god I was around to help him out.
    Yeah, im sure he is a scratch golfer by now with you valued advice

😕
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 13:02
    Yeah, im sure he is a scratch golfer by now with you valued advice

😕
    Oh, you flatter.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 06:44
    Well in the end I had a mixed tournament. Playing stableford off a 21 handicap (which I think is actually 2 below what I should have been off), I hit a 31 on the first day with a good solid round, the second day I hit only a 25 after a terrible run on the back nine. For some reason I got all tense and static and kept grounding it. I finished 4th out of 12, so I'm fairly happy overall.

Thanks for all the tips, I think the one thing I've really noticed is how important it is to keep moving before you swing, if you let yourself get static your swing is tense. I am going to take some time to work on my pre-shot routine, keeping relaxed, moving and fluid and to try and make this repeatable and natural.
  14. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 09:50
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Well in the end I had a mixed tournament. Playing stableford off a 21 handicap (which I think is actually 2 below what I should have been off), I hit a 31 on the first day with a good solid round, the second day I hit only a 25 after a terrible run on the back nine. For some reason I got all tense and static and kept grounding it. I finished 4th out of ...[text shortened]... ot routine, keeping relaxed, moving and fluid and to try and make this repeatable and natural.
    One of the best people to watch to pick up tips are the professional women. Natalie Gulbis is not only stunning but all the top end women are VERY technical. They seem to concentrate more on the game and their swing, some men can find it natural to swing a club (not putting women down!) but the women have to "work" at it therefore break it down better.
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    12 Oct '09 19:32
    One of the best people to watch to pick up tips are the professional women. Natalie Gulbis is not only stunning but all the top end women are VERY technical. They seem to concentrate more on the game and their swing, some men can find it natural to swing a club (not putting women down!) but the women have to "work" at it therefore break it down better.
    Bear in mind that copying the female golf swing is not always the best since they have to overcome counterbalance swing weights, and might tend to stand less upright than their male counterparts. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree