Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. 02 Mar '09 22:09
  2. 02 Mar '09 22:31
    sir alex. time after time, year after year he does it.
  3. 02 Mar '09 22:49
    Originally posted by trev33
    sir alex. time after time, year after year he does it.
    Its hard not to disagree with you there ,but i think his job has always been a little bit easier than others because up and coming footballers would probably opt for man utd over other clubs first ,saying that though ,pretty much all his dabbles in the transfer market have been good and he is not afraid to off load so called big stars when they begin to wane ,Cantanna was his best buy i think ,and to think old alex was one game off getting the boot!!!
  4. Standard member Mctayto
    Highlander
    02 Mar '09 23:09
    Fergie has more power than other managers, more cash to spend and a large crowd that follow them anywhere.

    Brian Clough took teams from obscurity to championships. Thankfully they never made him England manager or we would be putting up with more 1966 crap
  5. 02 Mar '09 23:59
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Its hard not to disagree with you there ,but i think his job has always been a little bit easier than others because up and coming footballers would probably opt for man utd over other clubs first ,saying that though ,pretty much all his dabbles in the transfer market have been good and he is not afraid to off load so called big stars when they begin to ...[text shortened]... e ,Cantanna was his best buy i think ,and to think old alex was one game off getting the boot!!!
    well not all of his buys were great but to do what's he's done over 20 odd years is nothing short of incredible. my only criticism is that he only won two CL's. that's a disappointment as some of his tactics in europe could've been better.
  6. 03 Mar '09 00:00
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Thankfully they never made him England manager or we would be putting up with more 1966 crap
    amen to that.
  7. 03 Mar '09 15:46
    Herbert Chapman.
  8. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    03 Mar '09 18:31
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Its hard not to disagree with you there ,but i think his job has always been a little bit easier than others because up and coming footballers would probably opt for man utd over other clubs first
    Wrong.

    The rule which states that you can't recruit youngsters from more than 50 miles away is a new one which the 3 you mentioned didn't have to put up with.

    D
  9. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    03 Mar '09 18:32
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Fergie has more power than other managers, more cash to spend and a large crowd that follow them anywhere.

    Brian Clough took teams from obscurity to championships.
    Aberdeen were a real powerhouse alright both in terms of finances and international fanbase.

    D
  10. 03 Mar '09 20:05
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Fergie has more power than other managers, more cash to spend and a large crowd that follow them anywhere.

    Brian Clough took teams from obscurity to championships. Thankfully they never made him England manager or we would be putting up with more 1966 crap
    He was good old cloughie!!!! and being english myself , i dont mention 66 anymore its getting like ancient history , bit like you jocko,s banging on about banackburn ..lol
  11. 03 Mar '09 20:09
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Wrong.

    The rule which states that you can't recruit youngsters from more than 50 miles away is a new one which the 3 you mentioned didn't have to put up with.

    D
    What i ment was up and coming young players like rooney would prefer man utd over other clubs !!! What about bobby robson when he was at ipswich town small club but he made them a top side at home and in europe !!!
  12. 03 Mar '09 23:13
    Originally posted by phil3000
    What i ment was up and coming young players like rooney would prefer man utd over other clubs !!! What about bobby robson when he was at ipswich town small club but he made them a top side at home and in europe !!!
    Its only cos sir a has made it that way early days not so shearer for example chose blackburn over us
  13. Standard member Mctayto
    Highlander
    04 Mar '09 00:37
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Aberdeen were a real powerhouse alright both in terms of finances and international fanbase.

    D
    Fergie only played the team O'Neil built up for him
  14. 04 Mar '09 13:11
    How about Rinus Michels or Ernst Happel?
  15. 05 Mar '09 19:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Bobson 94
    How about Rinus Michels or Ernst Happel?
    Are they still hiding in argentina with martin borrman?