1. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 19:14
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Wrong.

The rule which states that you can't recruit youngsters from more than 50 miles away is a new one which the 3 you mentioned didn't have to put up with.

D
    A radius of 50 miles around a built up area like manchester !!!,that still favours man utd . i think it would cause more harm to a club like portsmouth say or newcastle !!!
  2. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 23:49
    Originally posted by phil3000
    A radius of 50 miles around a built up area like manchester !!!,that still favours man utd . i think it would cause more harm to a club like portsmouth say or newcastle !!!
    Mark Wotte may be the saviour of Saints
    It's 27 miles So'ton to Pompey... wish it was a 100 haha gotta hate dem Pompious one ;p Saints Academy has fed too many to em.
  3. Santiago
    Moves
    07 Mar '09 16:04
    I would go for Ferguson. He has been at Man Utd for 23 years. That is an age. Despite the fact that he is the manager of the biggest team in the country with all the advantages that bestows, there still comes pressure. He has had to hold off Blackburn, Chelsea and Arsenal. Regretably he didn't manage to compete when Blackburn and Chelsea bought titles, but responding the following years. He has bought big himself, hsi purchases are at the top of the UK record lists - so it could be argued that Man Utd are no saints in this respect.

However, 23 years and 16 or so of those keeping the rest at bay most seasons. That probably beats Clough and Shankly taking average city sides to glory and the latter building the Liverpool dynasty.
  4. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    07 Mar '09 21:21
    Originally posted by Hopster
    I would go for Ferguson. He has been at Man Utd for 23 years. That is an age. Despite the fact that he is the manager of the biggest team in the country with all the advantages that bestows, there still comes pressure. He has had to hold off Blackburn, Chelsea and Arsenal. Regretably he didn't manage to compete when Blackburn and Chelsea bought titles, but r ...[text shortened]... h and Shankly taking average city sides to glory and the latter building the Liverpool dynasty.
    I must be out of touch in NZ. How did Blackburn and Chelsea buy titles?
  5. Santiago
    Moves
    07 Mar '09 22:33
    Sugar daddies changing the game at different times. First Jack Walter and then the Russian. Both decided to throw whatever money was needed to secure the signing of players, thus changing the game. It took the established clubs time to catch up.
  6. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    07 Mar '09 23:09
    Sugar daddies changing the game at different times. First Jack Walter and then the Russian. Both decided to throw whatever money was needed to secure the signing of players, thus changing the game. It took the established clubs time to catch up.
    So any club with a rich sponsor could would win a cup?
  7. Santiago
    Moves
    07 Mar '09 23:59
    Except Man City it seems.

Although these days you would have to be super super rich to make a difference.

Someone with 500.000.000 wouldn't make an impact unless they were willing to risk the lot.

What happened with Blackburn and Chelsea is these clubs opened their bids for players with figures that the footballing world saw as madness. Blackburn bought Shearer for something like 5 million breaking the previous record by about 2 million. Other clubs just shook their head at that price.

When Abramovitch (sp) came in at Chelsea. They were buying fairly untried players at 15 million a pop. Again raising the bar. Basically saying we will snap up any young talent at a price that no-one else will match.

Perhaps man City will continue to do the same.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 01:35
    Except Man City it seems.

Although these days you would have to be super super rich to make a difference.

Someone with 500.000.000 wouldn't make an impact unless they were willing to risk the lot.

What happened with Blackburn and Chelsea is these clubs opened their bids for players with figures that the footballing world saw as madness. Blackburn bo ...[text shortened]... alent at a price that no-one else will match.

Perhaps man City will continue to do the same.
    didn't blackburn pay closer to 15m for shearer? and i thought he chose to go there over utd, i'm sure utd offered him a nice wage as well.

you forget that it took a while for chelsea to win the league even with all their money floating about, it took a very good/lucky manager to come in and with an already strong squad to buy a couple more that won him the league.

who else did blackburn buy that season? i never thought that they had bought the league, i always seen it more as utd threw it at them.

give city a few years and they will win the league if they continue to spend and get a world class manager in.
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 11:08
    Originally posted by trev33
    didn't blackburn pay closer to 15m for shearer? and i thought he chose to go there over utd
    You're mixing up Newcastlewith Blackburn.

D
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 11:16
    football manager on the pc suggests im the greatest manager of all time.
  11. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 11:321 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    football manager on the pc suggests im the greatest manager of all time.
    lol I bet you've got subuteo in the cupboard too πŸ˜‰

remember this... does anyone still play?

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_04/subbuteo_468x535.jpg
  12. Joined
    23 May '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 11:41
    Originally posted by trev33
    sir alex. time after time, year after year he does it.
    anybody could coach man u with the players they have. How about the special oneπŸ˜€:😲
  13. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 13:12
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    lol I bet you've got subuteo in the cupboard too πŸ˜‰

remember this... does anyone still play?

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_04/subbuteo_468x535.jpg
    What about "Striker" when you had to push their heads down to make a kick!!! lol πŸ˜‰
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 13:53
    Originally posted by KAKA088
    anybody could coach man u with the players they have. How about the special oneπŸ˜€:😲
    And Aberdeen?

D
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 22:58
    Originally posted by KAKA088
    Wrong...what makes Man U unstoppable at the moment it not the individual players but how well they gel as a unit and that's all Ferguson!!

Some may say he has the money etc, but Man U are raking money in because he transformed Man U into the most exciting team in the world!

Another thing that Fergie deserves so much credit for is the fact that it's a lot harder these days to keep great players happy, but he makes it seem so easy!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree