1. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    04 Oct '07 17:55
    I've not read this thread from the start, but have seen the word 'overated' mentioned a few times... can I chuck my two penn'orth in and say that the most overated footballer in living memory surely has to be Rio Ferdinand...

The bloke isn't even half as good as he thinks he is, and he believes his own hype!!!

As a defender he's a joke for ManYoo and particularly England.

That's my opinion, and I will not be swayed to think otherwise.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '07 23:03
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    As for Rooney, he's the best player in the Premiership.
    I've seen every games he's played for United.
    He's better than Ronaldo, Rooney carried United to the title last season over the last 10 games, while Ronaldo who had a fantastic season faded away.

Rooney is also a big game player.

He may not be quite living up to the title of 'Pele' bu ...[text shortened]... eam.

Wayne Rooney is the best player in the premiership because of his all round game.
    please

i watch as much of united as anyone else, to say rooney is better than ronaldo is just wrong.

'carried United to the title last season'

o jesus

i'll admit i like his effort in getting back to defend but best player in the prem he is not.
  3. LA
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 04:21
    Originally posted by trevor33
    please

i watch as much of united as anyone else, to say rooney is better than ronaldo is just wrong.

'carried United to the title last season'

o jesus

i'll admit i like his effort in getting back to defend but best player in the prem he is not.
    Rooney is much better than Ronaldo, here's a few facts:-

- Rooney has been nominated as player of the year every year he's been at United
    - Ronaldo had one Excellent season but lost his form when we needed a push for the treble
    - Rooney is a big game player, Ronaldo is not (yet). Ronaldo consistently fails to deliver at the very highest level. Rooney scores against AC Milan, Roma, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool (and its only a big game because of history not becasue they are title contenders)
    - Ronaldo's tricks don't work gainst the top sides and his impact is limited
    - Rooney has a complete game, goals, assists, defense, Ronaldo needs players to cover for him

Don't get me wrong Ronaldo is exceptional and he's out 2nd best attacking player.

You watch all Uniteds games, have you seen how innefectual Ronaldo is against Ashley Cole?
    Also I have never ever seen Ronaldo produce quility against the best teams in Europe.

One last thing, someone posted the usual post about Rio Ferdinand.

Yes Rio Ferdinand is not the best Center Back in England but he is a very good one.
    Anyone who says he's rubbish are simply jumping on the anti ManUtd bandwaggon.

Vidic is considerably better than Ferdinand, but Ferdinand is still good.

Back to Rooney, there is not a single player in the Premiership better than Rooney.
    Sir Alex thinks the same thats why he paid 27m for him and re-signed him into a 6 year contract.
    Rooney is also now the most marketable name in world fooball, he overtook Beckham.

Rooney is so good, Sir Alex plays him on the left wing and he plays like the best left winger in the country. You could play Rooney anywhere in the midfield or attack and he will excell.

He's not the best player in the world though.
    That has to be Messi with Totti not far behind on current form.
  4. LA
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 04:36
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    He offers more than Makelele, Hargreaves, Keane and Hamman going forward and is better defensively than Essien and Hargreaves. He's better than Carrick - FULL STOP.

"Alonso is always injured"

I've just told you he's only been out once before this injury in 3 years!

"Well, he's been injured this season and Liverpool have made one of their best ever ...[text shortened]... o LFC's side, I'd rather him to Crouch, Kuyt and Voronin, but is he overrated? YES.
    OK, so now you are saying Alonso is a better attacking Midfield player than Keane was?
    He's also a better defensive midfield player than Essian?

My god, you are completely dillousional.

Ok, Alonso is better that Carrick, but like I keep on saying if we had a fully fit squad Carrick would not be in our 1st team.

Finally you said in your first post:-
    -Looks like Utd will have to keep buying big as the Beckham, Scholes, Nevilles & Butt year at the academy was a blip in an otherwise unproductive set up.

You have now refused 3 times to compare Liverpools academy setup to Manchester Uniteds.

Your selective half answers to posts basically is the answer.
    There is not comparison, Uniteds academy is still sucessful, Liverpools is a complete joke.
  5. 6yd box
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 05:03
    Originally posted by blade68
    I've not read this thread from the start, but have seen the word 'overated' mentioned a few times... can I chuck my two penn'orth in and say that the most overated footballer in living memory surely has to be Rio Ferdinand...

The bloke isn't even half as good as he thinks he is, and he believes his own hype!!!

here..here.. Blade68..Agreed 100%
  6. 6yd box
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 05:091 edit

..... but like I keep on saying if we had a fully fit squad Carrick would not be in our 1st team.
    LOL! at last we agree on somethingπŸ˜€

THANKS FOR GIVING US £18M FOR HIM
    😡😡😡😡😡

We only paid WHU about £3.5m from him πŸ˜‰
  7. LA
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 06:55
    Originally posted by spurs73
    LOL! at last we agree on somethingπŸ˜€

THANKS FOR GIVING US £18M FOR HIM
    😡😡😡😡😡

We only paid WHU about £3.5m from him πŸ˜‰
    18m is fine, he's good and improving but not as good as Scholes yet.
    Hopefully in a years time Carrick will continue improving enough to replace Scholes and play alongside Hargreaves.

We've also got 25m for Berbatov too, we don't care what you paid for him, but we want him!
    Just wait and see πŸ˜‰

You also used the 18m to buy Bent😡

Come on you Spurs, please put three past the scousers this weekend.
  8. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 08:27

You also used the 18m to buy Bent😡
    Now that is funny!!!

πŸ˜‰
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 14:20

He's world class at most aspects of defending (pace, reading of the game, keeping possession, calmness), but doesn't have the physical capabilities to be the best defender in the world, which is especially evident in the air. Vidic, who would steamroller his own granny to win a ball in the air, is helping him immensely in this regard.

He was the Carling Opta top scoring defender last season. He was picked by his fellow professionals in the Premier league team of the year last year, when he was part of the defense which conceded the 2nd fewest goals in the league. He was also named in the PFA team of the year for 2004-2005.

This season, he is part of a defense which hasn't conceded a goal in 11.5 hours of football.

I agree he was over-priced and not a perfect defender, but Ferguson is prepared to pay top dolla for an English backbone to his team. I presume you can't fault him for doing this. Unfortunately, English players always cost a premium.

D
  10. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 14:34
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    He's world class at most aspects of defending (pace, reading of the game, keeping possession, calmness), but doesn't have the physical capabilities to be the best defender in the world, which is especially evident in the air. Vidic, who would steamroller his own granny to win a ball in the air, is helping him immensely in this regard.

He was the Carling ...[text shortened]... can't fault him for doing this. Unfortunately, English players always cost a premium.

D
    He has pace... but doesn't use it effectively. His last ditch 'saving tackles' are the result of his own poor positioning originally.

He can't read a game, I disagree totally.

If by keeping possession you mean knocking it along the back four - fair enough.

His 'calmness' is misplaced. He dallies on the ball when he should hoof it clear, and hoofs it when he has time to pick a better pass.

Fergie hasn't made many mistakes during his reign at Old Trafford, but in my opinion Ferdinand ranks up there with that dodgy Italian keeper he bought.

The fact that OPTA etc rate him highly means absolutely nothing to me... put it this way, if you were 'going over the top' Vidic would be there with you bearing the flag, Ferdinand would be skulking around somewhere at the rear pretending his gun was jammed or something... the bloke is a bottler of the first order... not unlike Jonathon Woodgate actually.

You're right about Vidic by the way...
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 14:48
    Fergie hasn't made many mistakes during his reign at Old Trafford, but in my opinion Ferdinand ranks up there with that dodgy Italian keeper he bought.

The fact that OPTA etc rate him highly means absolutely nothing to me... put it this way, if you were 'going over the top' Vidic would be there with you bearing the flag, Ferdinand would be skulking around ...[text shortened]... st order... not unlike Jonathon Woodgate actually.

You're right about Vidic by the way...
    A little perspective, please. Taibi lasted 3 games and conceded about 15 goals. Ferdinand has been a near ever present in a team winning some trophys and going close in others.

The fact that OPTA etc rate him highly means absolutely nothing to me...
    Fair enough. If you want to completely disregard the facts of the matter, which say he intercepts more balls, completes more passes, executes more tackles, etc in deference to some trite cliche, then feel free.

How're things in Division 1 (Championship is such spin), by the way? πŸ˜‰

D
  12. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 15:07
    [b]Fergie hasn't made many mistakes during his reign at Old Trafford, but in my opinion Ferdinand ranks up there with that dodgy Italian keeper he bought.
    A little perspective, please. Taibi lasted 3 games and conceded about 15 goals. Ferdinand has been a near ever present in a team winning some trophys and going close in others.

The fact tha ...[text shortened]... en feel free.

How're things in Division 1 (Championship is such spin), by the way? πŸ˜‰

D
    Ferdinand has been a near ever present in a team winning some trophys and going close in others.

He's a very fortunate young man.

Fair enough. If you want to completely disregard the facts of the matter, which say he intercepts more balls, completes more passes, executes more tackles, etc in deference to some trite cliche, then feel free.

Football's about opinions - OPTA have theirs, I have mine!

How're things in Division 1 (Championship is such spin), by the way?

Rubbish! We're playing some decent stuff, but are leaking goals like a Sheffield flood... maybe we should buy Ferdinand!!!

πŸ˜›
  13. LA
    Moves
    07 Oct '07 08:28
    Looks like Utd will have to keep buying big as the Beckham, Scholes, Nevilles & Butt year at the academy was a blip in an otherwise unproductive set up.
    ha ha Man U?

ha ha Anderson, Nani, Simpson, Pique

ha ha Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo

ha ha Hargreaves

ha ha Vidic, Evra

ha ha Foster

We havn't even started playing yet

ha ha
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Oct '07 10:101 edit
    ha ha Man U?

ha ha Anderson, Nani, Simpson, Pique

ha ha Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo

ha ha Hargreaves

ha ha Vidic, Evra

ha ha Foster

We havn't even started playing yet

ha ha
    I have to say I'm very optimistic about the season ahead.

We haven't started playing yet, and we're top of the table and breaking records.

Yesterday was a superb performance. We had our 3rd choice keeper, started with our 4th choice right back, after our 1st and 4th choice center backs got injured we used our 5th choice right back and 5th choice centre back. Our main striker got injured before the game, and our 2nd and 3rd center mids were missing, so we had to start with our 4th choice center mid, and then due to injuries go to our 5th choice.

Van Der Sar, Foster, Neville, Brown, Vidic, O' Shea, Silvestre, Hargreaves, Carrick, Fletcher, Park and Saha.

Take Reina and Itandje, Finnan, Aurelio, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyppia, Mascherano, Alonso, Sissoko, Benayoun and Torres out of Liverpool and would they have won 4-0 against a mid table side, which should have been 7?

Take Lehmann, Almunia, Gallas, Eboue, Sagna, Senderos, Hoyte, Silva, Flamini, Diarra, Hleb, Adebayor out and would they do the same?

United for at least 2 trophies this season!

[EDIT] The highly underrated Ferdinand was superb as always, despite being 1 of only 2 senior defenders.

D
  15. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    07 Oct '07 13:48

[EDIT] The highly underrated Ferdinand was superb as always, despite being 1 of only 2 senior defenders.

D[/b]
    He didn't have owt to do though did he?

I could've marked Marcus Bent out of the game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree