1. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 00:571 edit
    Philadelphia Phillies legendary Hall of Fame announcer Harry Kalas passed away today a few hours before the start of the game in Washington DC. He was found in the announcers booth.

Not since the passing of a family member years ago have I felt a loss this much, and much of my city feels the same way today. Strange to not personally know someone yet have their passing effect you so strongly. I met Harry a few times because of my baseball playing, but he wouldn't remember me, but I'll always remember him.

Harry was the voice of my Phillies since well before my birth. For 30 years I've heard his incredible baseball voice for every game. It will never be the same, and he will never be forgotten, and I'll never hear a "That ball is outta here!!" call again without feeling this loss.

After work I went to watch the game and the special tributes to Harry with some friends at the pub, many were moved to tears for much of the game.

I'll likely have more to say about this incredible man later, including his non-stop community work, it just hasn't completely sunk in yet. Some of you may think this is odd to feel this way about a baseball announcer, but those who know who Harry is and what he means to many of us will understand.

Rest in peace Harry Kalas, you are missed.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 02:20
    I met Harry for the first time back in 1968. He had been broadcasting for the Houston Astros alongside another HOF announcer, Gene Elston, and Loel Passe. Harry was a great guy and was very approachable and his unmistakable baritone voice was great to listen to along with Elston. When the Phillies lured him away from the Astros in 1970, I was really angry. I wished they had taken Loel Passe instead. I saw Harry whenever the Phillies came to town and he was always gracious with his time and would talk baseball for hours. He genuinely loved the game. He is one of the great voices and great gentlemen of the game, and he will be missed.
  3. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 01:24
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    I met Harry for the first time back in 1968. He had been broadcasting for the Houston Astros alongside another HOF announcer, Gene Elston, and Loel Passe. Harry was a great guy and was very approachable and his unmistakable baritone voice was great to listen to along with Elston. When the Phillies lured him away from the Astros in 1970, I was really ang ...[text shortened]... the game. He is one of the great voices and great gentlemen of the game, and he will be missed.
    I'm glad someone else here knew of him so well. Sounds like you had more personal experiences with him than I did in terms of meeting him. But you are right on, always gracious, giving of his time, and always cheerful. I miss him. It's going to tough watching the Phils without their voice, he is the only voice I've known for them all my life.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree