Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

1. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    11 Mar '09 12:06
    I was taking some time to glance at the league tables and happened to notice that three former premier league teams (Charlton, Southampton, and Norwich) are in danger of relegation from the Championship to League One. I know former top level teams have fallen that far in the past (i.e. Leeds). But has there ever been a season in which three teams that were once in the top flight were dropped to the third tier? I did a bit of checking, but couldn't find anything.
  2. 11 Mar '09 13:50
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    I was taking some time to glance at the league tables and happened to notice that three former premier league teams (Charlton, Southampton, and Norwich) are in danger of relegation from the Championship to League One. I know former top level teams have fallen that far in the past (i.e. Leeds). But has there ever been a season in which three teams that w ...[text shortened]... op flight were dropped to the third tier? I did a bit of checking, but couldn't find anything.
    norwich were never really a prem league club, not in recent years anyway and even before then they were very poor. southampton have been in that league for ages now, they just about managed to stay in the top flight year after year so it shouldn't be a surprise without any financial backing they are were they are now.

in regards to your question, i don't know. i doubt it because of the money there is in football now it's more possible to drop a couple of leagues in quick succession if you don't have a rich owner who is willing to spend.
  3. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    11 Mar '09 14:41
    Originally posted by trev33
    norwich were never really a prem league club, not in recent years anyway and even before then they were very poor. southampton have been in that league for ages now, they just about managed to stay in the top flight year after year so it shouldn't be a surprise without any financial backing they are were they are now.

in regards to your question, i don't k ...[text shortened]... ouple of leagues in quick succession if you don't have a rich owner who is willing to spend.
    True, none of them have been Prem clubs for a while, Trev. I'm surprised Charlton has descended so quickly, though.

I just thought it more of a statistical oddity than anything. After all, you've got three teams coming up from league one, and it would be reasonable to think that at least one of them would be punching above their weight at that level.
  4. 11 Mar '09 16:32
    True, none of them have been Prem clubs for a while, Trev. I'm surprised Charlton has descended so quickly, though.

I just thought it more of a statistical oddity than anything. After all, you've got three teams coming up from league one, and it would be reasonable to think that at least one of them would be punching above their weight at that level.
    look at hull, went from 4th tier to prem in a few years and look like staying in the prem this year. what i mean is that there isn't that big of a difference between league 1 and the middle teams of the championship, so with the money problems of the 3 you mentioned (and lets not forget leicester in league 1) i'm not really that shocked. it is sad about charlton though i really liked them. as long as the league 1 teams that go up have a solid board with a bit of money and a decent manager they usually stay in the championship the next season. the same can't be said for league 2 teams going into league 1, that's almost as big a jump from the championship to the prem.
  5. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    11 Mar '09 17:03
    look at hull, went from 4th tier to prem in a few years and look like staying in the prem this year. what i mean is that there isn't that big of a difference between league 1 and the middle teams of the championship, so with the money problems of the 3 you mentioned (and lets not forget leicester in league 1) i'm not really that shocked. it is sad about charl ...[text shortened]... s going into league 1, that's almost as big a jump from the championship to the prem.
    I'm no expert, but I've always been a fan, so I've wondered about that. If I'm understanding correctly, then:

Jump from Chamionship to Premier League- considerable

Jump from League One to Championship- Less so than above

Jump from League Two to League One- also considerable

If that's the case, then I'll be even more proud of Leyton Orient if they manage to stick in League One again.
  6. 11 Mar '09 17:12
    I'm no expert, but I've always been a fan, so I've wondered about that. If I'm understanding correctly, then:

Jump from Chamionship to Premier League- considerable

Jump from League One to Championship- Less so than above

Jump from League Two to League One- also considerable

If that's the case, then I'll be even more proud of Leyton Orient if they manage to stick in League One again.
    the conference to league two gap is minimal

league two to league one is big, a lot of team struggle badly.

the reason for the above is mostly because there's only 2 team (1 until recently) that go down from league 2 and 4 that go up from league 2.

league one to championship gap is somewhere in the middle

championship to prem gap between the bottom prem clubs isn't that big, it's big don't get me wrong, you have to have something special to stay in the league but it's not as huge as the media makes out. look at hull and stoke this year against the big teams.
  7. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    11 Mar '09 17:17
    norwich were never really a prem league club, not in recent years anyway and even before then they were very poor.
    Your memory is failing you.

"In 1992–93, the inaugural season of the English Premier League, Norwich City led the league for most of the season,[24] before faltering in the final weeks to finish third behind the champions, Manchester United, and Aston Villa.[25] The following season Norwich played in the UEFA Cup for the first time, losing in the third round to Internazionale, but defeating Bayern Munich. Winning 2–1, Norwich are the only English team to beat Bayern Munich in the Olympic Stadium."
    wiki

D
  8. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    11 Mar '09 17:22
    That all makes sense. I think everyone's been impressed with Hull this year (yes, they've had an abysmal run of form, but on the whole have done better than expected).

This is a bit off topic, but let's say you had Abamowich-type money. Would you rather buy a top-flight team or look at building a team up from the lower tier. From a business only standpoint, I'd go the former. But if I had the money to spare, and bought the team because of my interest in the sport, I'd go the latter.
  9. 11 Mar '09 17:28
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Your memory is failing you.

"In 1992–93, the inaugural season of the English Premier League, Norwich City led the league for most of the season,[24] before faltering in the final weeks to finish third behind the champions, Manchester United, and Aston Villa.[25] The following season Norwich played in the UEFA Cup for the first time, losing in the third r ...[text shortened]... 1, Norwich are the only English team to beat Bayern Munich in the Olympic Stadium."
    wiki

D
    my 8th birthday was in that season. still a very long time ago though, there's been a whole new batch of crap thats came out of norwich after that.
  10. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    11 Mar '09 18:07
    This is a bit off topic, but let's say you had Abamowich-type money. Would you rather buy a top-flight team or look at building a team up from the lower tier. From a business only standpoint, I'd go the former. But if I had the money to spare, and bought the team because of my interest in the sport, I'd go the latter.
    I'd have to buy Manchester United. The division doesn't really come into it.

D
  11. Standard member Peakite
    Sais
    11 Mar '09 20:27
    I was taking some time to glance at the league tables and happened to notice that three former premier league teams (Charlton, Southampton, and Norwich) are in danger of relegation from the Championship to League One. I know former top level teams have fallen that far in the past (i.e. Leeds). But has there ever been a season in which three teams that w ...[text shortened]... op flight were dropped to the third tier? I did a bit of checking, but couldn't find anything.
    A quick look would suggest that the most recent time this has happened was the 2002/03 season.

On that occasion Sheffield Wednesday, Brighton & Hove Albion and Grimsby Town were all relegated.

It's certainly not unique. A quick look reveals:

1998/99 (Bury, Oxford United, Bristol City)
    1995/96 (Millwall, Watford, Luton Town)
    1994/95 (Swindon Town, Burnley, Bristol City, Notts County)
    1986/87 (Sunderland, Grimsby Town, Brighton & Hove Albion)

The bunch in 1996 would have all played top flight football within a decade of their relegation down to the third tier.
  12. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    12 Mar '09 09:28
    Originally posted by Peakite
    A quick look would suggest that the most recent time this has happened was the 2002/03 season.

On that occasion Sheffield Wednesday, Brighton & Hove Albion and Grimsby Town were all relegated.

It's certainly not unique. A quick look reveals:

1998/99 (Bury, Oxford United, Bristol City)
    1995/96 (Millwall, Watford, Luton Town)
    1994/95 (Swindon Town, ...[text shortened]... have all played top flight football within a decade of their relegation down to the third tier.
    Thanks for that info, Peakite. In any of the situations that you mentioned above, was it ever the case that all three teams were being relegated from the same division in that year?
  13. 21 Mar '09 03:52
    i think they played rubbish this year