1. Standard memberRSMA1234
    The Guvnor....!!!!
    The Dark Side
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 11:44
    Originally posted by Red Night
    I've been watching many of the European championship games over here in the states.

I've seen Croatia, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, Poland, Greece, Czechoslovakia, Russia, Turkey and others play some great games.

But, I've yet to see England play.

When does England play their games?
    Their is no football on...no idea what your refering to

"Living in DE NILE".....so they say
  2. Standard memberRSMA1234
    The Guvnor....!!!!
    The Dark Side
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 11:45
    They failed?

I don't understand.

Are you saying they weren't good enough?!?

Or did they fail for some other reason?
    English players are probably the best in the world, but as a team they find it hard to play together

No idea why...maybe ego's or just not getting paid enough
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 12:02
    Originally posted by RSMA1234
    English players are probably the best in the world, but as a team they find it hard to play together
    Perhaps part of the problem is that they believe the first part of that sentence, when it's clearly rubbish.
  4. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 13:02
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Even Donadoni commented recently that he believed there were too many foreigners in Serie A:

I don't have the totals for the whole league, but here are the stats for the main clubs in 2006-2007:

Arsenal: 88%
    Inter: 85%
    Liverpool: 65%
    Chelsea: 63%
    (Juventus 05-06: 52% )
    Milan: 52%
    Roma: 50%
    Manchester Utd: 50%
    Tottenham: 49%
    Lazio: 48%
    Another good post, but I did say the *whole* of Serie A, which will now include Bologna, Lecce, Chievo Verona** and other teams like Torino who are overwhelmingly composed of Italian players. I only gave the figure 90% arbitrarily so I'm prepared to drop it to 75% but stand by this, it does only seem to be the big 4 bucking the trend.

Meanwhile, in the Premiership, even Bolton field a side glittering with foreign talent.

** Best team in the world in real terms, small village of 1800 people, a sporting miracle.
  5. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 13:39
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Doesn't answer why historically only a handful of English players played abroad.

I'd place culture and language barrier high on the list.
    True, that's also a big factor.

I do think the money/prestige associated with the league has been important though. Historically not many Spanish, Italian and German players went to other countries either.
  6. Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '08 22:58
    Wow!

That's a shocker.

ENGLAND NOT GOOD ENOUGH to play in the European Championships??

I can see where they would get beaten soundly by most of those teams, but they're not as good as Switzerland?
    If memory serves, when you joined RHP your flag was a Scottish flag ..... so its no surprise you don't know anything about football 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree