1. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 06:321 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    First of all, I could care less who you root for and You are nuts if you think that someone "blinded by that" would make them arrogant. Just for the record. You can be a Yankee fan and voice against any Yankee player. Unless you are totally blind, you will never be in love with an entire 25 man roster. There will always be somewhere you could improve a d get yourself a solid seeing-eye dog and a nice pair of sunglasses. Have a nice day!!
    I never said everyone should sign for 10 years and bring the whole team back year after year regardless of how they perform. I simply stated that teams should be permitted to lock in players for more than one year for planning purposes. Both sides want it and I think most fans want it too. My position of permitting multi years contracts is not even controversial. It is what exists. Charlie Finley agreed with you he thought single year contracts would drive down the price of players. I have not heard anyone since him avocate that and I strongly believe it would hurt the game. I actually think long term contract helps keep competitive balance as teams can sign guys before they become arbitration/ free agency eligible and save money. I just see no evidence that long term contarcts damage the game.

Steinbrenner was suspended for giving money to Howie Spira a known gambler to dig up dirt on Dave Winfield and for Nixon related election violations. That is not bending the rules to improve your team. Steinbrenner certainly may not have always been a good employer (but I don't work for him so why should I care) but he did what is most important -- he made the team I root for good. In fact since 1976 (when I started being a baseball fan) there is no team with more success and no team that I'd rather be rooting for. As a Yankee fan, I am certainly thankful for that opportnity that Steinbrenner aforded me. It is well worth the on and off again relationship with alcoholic but good manager Billy Martin and the mistreating of good baseball managers.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree