1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 15:12
    Originally posted by whodey
    A Yankees fan, eh? And a Penn State fan to boot. I should have known. Anyhew, I hope they win it every year. It would serve baseball right. As it was, the mere fact that they have not won a world series since 2002 with all the money they have spent since that time is simply scandelous.

Edit: See you in Happy Valley this weekend!! My Buckeyes are goi ...[text shortened]... on the field and transform TP's throwing arm and brain into that of a real QB. You never know.
    The Yankees were the best team in the regular season and then again in the post season. The Yankees invest in their team. They give their fan base a great stadium, a great network and a great product. I am really fortunate to root for a team that cares about winning. They are even willing to pay a luxury tax so teams like the one you root for can pocket the money, provide you with a garbage product and make you bitter. Nevertheless I would think you would know that the Yankees had not won a World Series since 2000.
  2. SubscriberRay Gunz I
    SEMI TALENTED NOVICE
    Bronx, New York
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 18:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    A Yankees fan, eh? And a Penn State fan to boot. I should have known. Anyhew, I hope they win it every year. It would serve baseball right. As it was, the mere fact that they have not won a world series since 2002 with all the money they have spent since that time is simply scandelous.

Edit: See you in Happy Valley this weekend!! My Buckeyes are goi ...[text shortened]... on the field and transform TP's throwing arm and brain into that of a real QB. You never know.
    Oh come on big guy, stop the hating, you're gonna give yerself a ulcer. I gave the Eagles their props on Sunday when they mopped the floor with my Jints. As for the Buckeyes, bring 'em on, we aint SKURD! 😛
  3. Standard memberScotty70
    Maddog1213
    Central Office
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 18:54
    Originally posted by trev33
    dude, take your bs mlb hating elsewhere. btw it's a mere fact that this was their first title in 9 years, yes 2000 not 2002 and the mere fact that they didn't even reach the playoffs last year while the little spending rays did proves that money isn't everything.
    I am a Mets fan and I can't say that I hate the Yankees, I just don't like AL teams. I will always root for the NL team in the World Series. I guess it has something to do with pitchers having to swing their own bats.
    The DH thing worked well for the Yanks in the series, but that's just not my cup of tea.
  4. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 00:481 edit
    The yanks do it the easy way...spending money. Little struggle involved. This win means very little as an accomplishment.
  5. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 01:18
    Originally posted by Ray Gunz I
    To all the haters out there, KEEP ON HATING! And the sad thing is, the worst haters are NY Mutts fans. Well that's OK, you can be Yankees fans on the low, we wont tell. 😀
    Don't worry, I'm always going to keep on hating,
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 04:18
    Originally posted by badmoon
    The yanks do it the easy way...spending money. Little struggle involved. This win means very little as an accomplishment.
    I guess the trophy just magically fell in their hands? Really! Sour grapes. Yanks have 27. Arisona, how many exactly? One? Yanks would have 28 by now. I never begrudged Arizona their excellently well played and won series win against the Yankees. Arizona played lights out and overcame Rivera, a feat onto itself!
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 13:30
    Originally posted by badmoon
    It sure beats the plan of lets not spend, lets not have a good product, lets not win and lets not beat money. On may way to work I saw 1000s of people in Yankee clothes on their way to the victory parade. It was great!
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 16:581 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    It sure beats the plan of lets not spend, lets not have a good product, lets not win and lets not beat money. On may way to work I saw 1000s of people in Yankee clothes on their way to the victory parade. It was great!
    it helps that New york city has about 10 times more people in it than virtually every other city in MLB and therefore has about 10 times more revenue from which to pay their players.

Heaven forbid what would happen to the yanks if the YES network was taken away from them.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 18:10
    Originally posted by uzless
    it helps that New york city has about 10 times more people in it than virtually every other city in MLB and therefore has about 10 times more revenue from which to pay their players.

Heaven forbid what would happen to the yanks if the YES network was taken away from them.
    Why would you steal someone's TV network? How is that a possible logical solution? Is your next solution involving physical violence?
    If New York has 10 times as many people as you say then I am sure you baseball is estatic that the parade is in New York. I know I am.
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 18:36

I'm starting to hate you.

Please stop.
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 18:402 edits

I do understand the plight of the smallest market teams. Places like Kansas City have a major disadvantage. On the other hand, the very small market St Louis franchise has been doing rather well, so it's not impossible.

But what's the deal with the other huge market teams? They should be contending almost every season (barring injuries).

Chicago has a decent number of people living in it. And what have the two Chicago baseball teams accomplished? Besides the White Sox in 2005, pretty close to nada.

Los Angeles is another fair-sized market. In the free agent era, the Dodgers won titles in 1981 & 1988, and the Angels won in 2002. That adds up to the same number of titles for that tiny market of Cincinnati.

And what about that other New York team -- the Mets have exactly one title during the free agent era.

So if it was just a matter of being in a huge market, why have these other five teams produced a total of five titles combined? Surely these clubs could spend a ton of money to bring in the best players, put a contender on the field every season, draw 4 million fans per year, start their own cable network, sell tons of merchandise, and make a big profit.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 20:26
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I do understand the plight of the smallest market teams. Places like Kansas City have a major disadvantage. On the other hand, the very small market St Louis franchise has been doing rather well, so it's not impossible.

But what's the deal with the other huge market teams? They should be contending almost every season (barring injuries).

Chicago has ...[text shortened]... fans per year, start their own cable network, sell tons of merchandise, and make a big profit.
    No argument there. At any rate, no one stops the small market teams from buying better players. Of course they can also have the occasional fluky championship like Arizona in 01. So be it, but bashing the Yankees for success is downright unAmerican! You argue in favor of the Yanks and I applaud your arguments!
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 20:30
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    No argument there. At any rate, no one stops the small market teams from buying better players. Of course they can also have the occasional fluky championship like Arizona in 01. So be it, but bashing the Yankees for success is downright unAmerican! You argue in favor of the Yanks and I applaud your arguments!
    I don't know if Arizona was fluky. They had Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling at the same time.
  14. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 21:13
    I just looked up US media markets and small markets may suprise some people.
    http://www.proadvance.com/topmediamarkets.html (I assume they are accurate).
    The top 5 may not be suprising NY, LA Chicago, Philly, Boston.

But San Fran/ Oakland/ San Jose is #6 in the US; Dallas is #7, Washington #8, Atlanta #9, Houston #10, Detroit 11, Tampa 12, Seatle 13, Phoenix 14. Do these team have huge advanatges over other makets? Is Tampa pulling the wool over your eyes giving away Iwamura and talk about how they have to replace Crawford soon? I think it is just a lie. Fans should be outraged that these teams are not paying their players and lying about being unable to do so.

St Louis #21 vs. Pittsburgh#22 Do you really think the Pirates can't compete? The Cardinals sign free agents (in addition to develop players); they make trades for high priced players. This seems to indicate the Pirates could if they wanted to also.

Milwaukee 33 vs Cincinnati #34 Alot of small markets in the NL Central. Not sure everyone on this list desrves a team but baseball accomodates by putting these four teams in the same division and letting them play each other lots of times instead of playing bigger market teams.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '09 01:25
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I don't know if Arizona was fluky. They had Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling at the same time.
    But they have never repeated so it's a statistical fluke. Indeed they played lights out, but came out of nowhere to win it all. They had Johnson and Schilling the year before and did nothing then they were unable to retain them so they had no wish to keep on winning. Schiiling was the reason behind the great Red sox comeback!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree