1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Nov '09 02:05
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I do understand the plight of the smallest market teams. Places like Kansas City have a major disadvantage. On the other hand, the very small market St Louis franchise has been doing rather well, so it's not impossible.

But what's the deal with the other huge market teams? They should be contending almost every season (barring injuries).

Chicago has ...[text shortened]... fans per year, start their own cable network, sell tons of merchandise, and make a big profit.
    Simple. The yanks can't have EVERY good player in the league.. They are limited via roster size.

You mention St. Louis? Let's see where they are when Pujols bolts for a bigger contract when his is done. Any bets on where he ends up??
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Nov '09 02:19
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Why would you steal someone's TV network? How is that a possible logical solution? Is your next solution involving physical violence?
    If New York has 10 times as many people as you say then I am sure you baseball is estatic that the parade is in New York. I know I am.
    FFs you quackhead. Do you have ANY idea where the yanks get their money from????? Do you think they get 375 million dollars from ticket and beer sales??? Are you insane??????

Look, do yourself a favour. Google "yes network yankees" and check out how much revenue the team gets from YES
  3. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 03:12
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    But they have never repeated so it's a statistical fluke. Indeed they played lights out, but came out of nowhere to win it all. They had Johnson and Schilling the year before and did nothing then they were unable to retain them so they had no wish to keep on winning. Schiiling was the reason behind the great Red sox comeback!
    The D'Backs were ruined financially when they fielded that team. They are still digging out from under it.

A min and max cap would help. I think.
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 23:49
    Originally posted by uzless
    FFs you quackhead. Do you have ANY idea where the yanks get their money from????? Do you think they get 375 million dollars from ticket and beer sales??? Are you insane??????

Look, do yourself a favour. Google "yes network yankees" and check out how much revenue the team gets from YES
    Hey, fool baseball's problem is not that the Yankees pay for everything. They pay their players, the revenue share so other teams get money, they built a new stadium so millions of fans can enjoy their product and other in the largest media market in the country. They get great ratings so national TV contracts are high. In a capitalistic society, I have no problem with the Yankees making money especially when people enjoy their product.
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 03:32
    In a capitalistic society, I have no problem with the Yankees making money especially when people enjoy their product.
    Ah, now we see the ignorance inherent in the system
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 13:52
    From the same guy who thinks you have to play a sport to watch it, I am sure we should rely on everything you have to say.
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 18:18
    From the same guy who thinks you have to play a sport to watch it, I am sure we should rely on everything you have to say.
    I put my time in playing baseball as you would have known if you'd been a participant in this forum a while back. Without giving away personal details I played shortstop and Pitcher and ended up in a celebrity softball game playing with nhl players at a certain sports park just north of toronto after being named mvp of a certain league i played in.

this doesn't mean I have any specific knowledge above and beyond anyone else who played the game.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 20:13
    I have played softball too (although never with celebrity NHL players and never in Toronto). Nevertheless, even if I never actually played I think I could watch softball on TV. I just don't think watching sports is a scholarly activity that involves prior emersion in a sport. In fact, you might actually be able to learn by watching. I have never been to Africa. But I watch the Nature channel and learn and appreciate. There are kids who learn reading skills by watching Sesame Street.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 22:013 edits
    Simple. The yanks can't have EVERY good player in the league.. They are limited via roster size.

You mention St. Louis? Let's see where they are when Pujols bolts for a bigger contract when his is done. Any bets on where he ends up??
    In Feb, 2004, the Cardinals signed Pujols to a 7-yr deal (actually 8 years assuming St Louis picks up the option for the 2011 season). He had been scheduled to become a free agent after the 2006 season - so the Cardinals made sure to lock him up well before then.

The contract totalled only $111 million over the 8 yrs - an absolute steal for one of the greatest hitters in baseball history. This was a very smart move - probably one of the reasons why this franchise has had so much success despite it's small size. Many young players will take a good offer, even if well below their "market value", rather than gamble on getting injured or whatever while waiting out the next two or three years.

Even if Pujols does bolt after the 2011 season, the Cards still made out extremely well. You'd think more of the small market teams would act similarly to hang on to the stars their systems do develop.
  10. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 00:44
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Don't worry, I'm always going to keep on hating,
    O come on, it was the best series in a while. Got to give props to the team from the A league!
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 08:01
    Originally posted by YEAH BOY
    O come on, it was the best series in a while. Got to give props to the team from the A league!
    Pitching was garbage from the phillies and they committed more errors than a grade 3 student on an Underwood
  12. Joined
    21 Mar '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 01:26

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 05:44
    Pitching was garbage from the phillies and they committed more errors than a grade 3 student on an Underwood
    I was only refering to one team

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree