1. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 04:15
    Originally posted by Ullr
    No but a better comparison would be Shawn Merriman's steroid use. Comparing the Patriots infraction to Barry Bonds is apples to oranges. The results of steroid use are much more tangible. All we know about the Pats vidoetaping is that they go caught with it in the 1st quarter of the Jets game. We don't know how long they've been doing this nor do we know if ...[text shortened]... f any games. We know it had no impact on the Jets game this year. The Jets just plain suck.
    Completely true. And since they hadnt the time to even review this film, every win is legit. The Jets were going down any way, they really do suck. The more people that hop onto this hate Patriot, hate Belichick bandwagon the more this team is getting motivated to take it all. Kudos to Bill for taking his punishment like a man, no whining, just moving on. What a guy. I have contended since 01 that this bunch has a strong chance of getting 5 rings before this is over. Still stands.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 04:291 edit
    Originally posted by Ullr
    No but a better comparison would be Shawn Merriman's steroid use. Comparing the Patriots infraction to Barry Bonds is apples to oranges. The results of steroid use are much more tangible. All we know about the Pats vidoetaping is that they go caught with it in the 1st quarter of the Jets game. We don't know how long they've been doing this nor do we know if ...[text shortened]... f any games. We know it had no impact on the Jets game this year. The Jets just plain suck.
    And that is the irony of it all. The Pats did not need to cheat but yet they did. However, you said it best yourself, all we know is that they cheated the one time. It then gets one wondering, has it been the only time they got caught? All you know for sure is that you are up against an unscrupulous group of guys.
  3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 04:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    Its kinda like wondering how many home runs Barry Bonds hit while on steroids, no?
    Or how many baseball games Pete Rose bet on.
  4. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 08:14
    Originally posted by Bobla45
    Completely true. And since they hadnt the time to even review this film, every win is legit. The Jets were going down any way, they really do suck. The more people that hop onto this hate Patriot, hate Belichick bandwagon the more this team is getting motivated to take it all. Kudos to Bill for taking his punishment like a man, no whining, just moving on. Wh ...[text shortened]... nce 01 that this bunch has a strong chance of getting 5 rings before this is over. Still stands.
    I AGREE WITH THIS POST
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 12:54
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Or how many baseball games Pete Rose bet on.
    Well now, thats a sore spot with me. :'(

No matter, I will be consistent here. I believe they were right in keeping him out of the Hall of Fame. He got what he deserved. Give the man as many asticks as you wish.

As for how many games, what does it matter? All it takes is one. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he ever bet against his team, however, that is not the issue.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 13:32
    Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
    False starts are leaving before you are allowed to (aka cheating). As most NFL coaches are keenly aware, you only get penalized when you are caught, eh no1?!
    Only a true clown would compare a false start or any other penalty by a player in a game (virtually all of which are inadvertent) to deliberately planning to tape and taping the opposing club in order to gain an advantage, knowing full well (in advance) that this was a blatant violation of the rules. Even deliberate fouls by players are at least in the heat of the moment and not premediated.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 14:52
    Most on the field infraction are 100% permitted. For example you are allowed to foul in basketball or jump off-side in football or balk in baseball. There is an in-sport penalty for such an infraction such as free throws, 10 yards or runners advance a base. You are not allowed to video tape your opponents. That's cheating. Furthermore, there is no way possible someone could get caught five seconds after they start video taping. The Patriots obviously have done this before and it taints there accomplishments.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 14:58
    Originally posted by poundlee
    Most on the field infraction are 100% permitted. For example you are allowed to foul in basketball or jump off-side in football or balk in baseball. There is an in-sport penalty for such an infraction such as free throws, 10 yards or runners advance a base. You are not allowed to video tape your opponents. That's cheating. Furthermore, there is no way ...[text shortened]... deo taping. The Patriots obviously have done this before and it taints there accomplishments.
    Um, the Pats were punished. They lost draft pics, and were fined.

Now it's over. OK?

OK??

You get penalized 10 yards, it's over.

You get fines and lose a draft pick (Pats AND Dolphins) and it's over.

Why are you treating things different with the pats when all your argument supports them?

P-
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 15:14
    because when a play is over or a game is over the benefit of the infraction is over. I would treat performance enhancing drugs differently. Bonds muscle structure is still augmented (as is his head size). He is still getting an advantage. The Patriots still have the benefit of their knowledge. The are still using it. It still helps them win. Their wins are still tainted.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 15:221 edit
    because when a play is over or a game is over the benefit of the infraction is over. I would treat performance enhancing drugs differently. Bonds muscle structure is still augmented (as is his head size). He is still getting an advantage. The Patriots still have the benefit of their knowledge. The are still using it. It still helps them win. Their wins are still tainted.
    Are you telling me that teams are too stupid to change their signals? Give me a break.

There was nothing seen you can't see every game, why do you think this is limited to Pats alone? They all do it, it's common knowledge.

P-
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 15:25
    You are assuming it is just signals that they get. There are all sort of things that they could be picking up and I certainly would not give the benefit of the doubt to a cheater.
  12. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 15:25
    So you agree that the all the Dolphins wins after 1969 are tainted, including their perfect season in 1972, because, as Phlabibit so deftly pointed out, the Dolphins were forced to give up their draft picks when they were found by the league to have committed tampering when they hired Don Shula? And clearly, the Dolphins were able to keep Don Shula, and have the benefit of Don Shula, and it helped the team win in the following years, most notably, again, in the perfect season of 1972. Do you hate Don Shula and the Dolphins as much as you do the Patriots?
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 15:27
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Are you telling me that teams are too stupid to change their signals? Give me a break.

There was nothing seen you can't see every game, why do you think this is limited to Pats alone? They all do it, it's common knowledge.

P-
    Phlab: They all do it, it's common knowledge.

BS. And you know it.
  14. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 15:28
    You are assuming it is just signals that they get. There are all sort of things that they could be picking up and I certainly would not give the benefit of the doubt to a cheater.
    What other things are they getting? Picking up casual conversation where Eric Mangini mentions his home phone number to one of the cheerleaders, and then one of the Patriots coaching staff calls Mangini in the middle of the night to ask him if his electricity is running?
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 15:28
    Did you know that every game every week is filmed? Did you know every team has access to this film?

What is to be gained, you say there is something to be gained... please explain what is to be gained since YOU brought it up.

Or are you just throwing stuff out with hope something sticks?

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree