1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 12:52
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Football less attractrive as a sport ? 🙄 Its the most popular sport in the world !!
    Its what the game is all about . People talk about 1966 , did it cross the line ? Maradonna with his cheating hand ! Now its the hand of frog from T Henry.
    All good stuff , people will be debating in the pubs for years .
    It will be a sad day for football if they int ...[text shortened]... , well they have got to live with that for the rest of their lives , i wouldn't fancy that !!
    Tell that to the losing side! The human element is a good pub dicussion when it is a judegment call, not an egregioulsy bad call that looks like the refs were paid off. Football is not the only sport either. NBA in USA had one rotten ref being paid off. Soccer may be popular worldwide but it is not an improved product. people watch out of habit. The dreary, defensive, scoreless games are killing the sport. The bad calls like against Ireland are really another nail in the coffin. The sport is becoming a laughingstock. I'm glad you enjoy it as it is. It really needs to enter the modern age.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 13:03
    Football less attractrive as a sport ? 🙄 Its the most popular sport in the world !!
    Its what the game is all about . People talk about 1966 , did it cross the line ? Maradonna with his cheating hand ! Now its the hand of frog from T Henry.
    All good stuff , people will be debating in the pubs for years .
    It will be a sad day for football if they int ...[text shortened]... , well they have got to live with that for the rest of their lives , i wouldn't fancy that !!
    The worst thing that can happen to any sport is if people think the game is not being officiated fairly.

In any case, you say this will be debated in pubs. What's to debate? Ireland got robbed of a chance to go to the World Cup by one of the worst calls in sports history. Is there another side to this?

The mentality that would consider not allowing instant replay when the whole game usually comes down to 1 or 2 goals is mind boggling.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 13:06
    Originally posted by sh76
    by one of the worst calls in sports history.
    Wut?
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 14:40
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Wut?
    Lulz, exactly my same reaction.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 14:421 edit
    Instant replay is currently used in a number of other sports, like american football, hockey, tennis, - also baseball (homeruns) and basketball (3-point shots).

In almost every case, there was a chorus of arguments claiming that instant replay would "ruin the game" and "interrupt the flow". But once it's put in, almost everyone agrees that it's better to get the call right than have endless debates at the local watering hole about some famous bad call of yore.

Considering how important the World Cup is to many fans all around the world, and considering how crucial every goal is in these games, EVERY effort should be made to get the call right when a goal is scored. Even if you had an automatic review for every goal, it's not like you'd be adding a whole lot of disruption to the flow in a sport when a score of 3-2 is considered a high-scoring affair.
  6. 6yd box
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 14:51
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    That's why soccer is less and less attractive as a sport. These calls are almost criminal and should be investigated. There is no way the officials did not see what transpired! Ireland was robbed!
    what u forget is- today we have 25-30 tv camares at all big matchs- even 10 years ago we did not have this type of coverage.

If u really think this type's of mistakes did not happen before- u need a reality check.

FIFA needes to come into the mordern age now and allow techonology into the game.
  7. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 15:57
    Tell that to the losing side! The human element is a good pub dicussion when it is a judegment call, not an egregioulsy bad call that looks like the refs were paid off. Football is not the only sport either. NBA in USA had one rotten ref being paid off. Soccer may be popular worldwide but it is not an improved product. people watch out of habit. The dre ...[text shortened]... oming a laughingstock. I'm glad you enjoy it as it is. It really needs to enter the modern age.
    I have been watching football for nearly 40 yrs , for you to say " The dreary,defensive ,scoreless games are killing the sport " just tells me ..... YOU JUST DONT GET IT DO YOU ?...and you probably never will. God help football if the Americans ever twiddle with the rules !!!
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 23:05
    I have been watching football for nearly 40 yrs , for you to say " The dreary,defensive ,scoreless games are killing the sport " just tells me ..... YOU JUST DONT GET IT DO YOU ?...and you probably never will. God help football if the Americans ever twiddle with the rules !!!
    I have watched football longer than you and almost have given up entirely on the sport. Most Americans actually know a lot about the sport since it is the most popular amateur sport in the USA. Most American's don't enjoy soccer because of the theatrics, uneven officiating, low scores, prima donna players, ugly incidents both in league games and world cups, history of soccer related deaths, riots, your very own hooligans, soccer players being murdered for own goals(Venezuela).

If us Yanks got involved in the rules we might help clean up the sorry mess the sport is in and tweak it just enough to increase its worldwide appeal even more than under the current rules. When the USA played Mexico in their home shortly after 9-11 the crowds yelled"Osama, Osama". The ugliness of the crowds makes it a most unappealling sport in that regard. WE have the best behaved crowds on earth compared to those I've seen in international games. Soccer players evidence little restraint. Zinedine Zidane soured the sport for many fans. I will never sya there aren't fights in American sports, but we have them farther in between than the ugly incidents in soccer. To wit: France Vs. Ireland. Officiating at its worst!
  9. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 23:51

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '09 13:12
    I have watched football longer than you and almost have given up entirely on the sport. Most Americans actually know a lot about the sport since it is the most popular amateur sport in the USA. Most American's don't enjoy soccer because of the theatrics, uneven officiating, low scores, prima donna players, ugly incidents both in league games and world c ...[text shortened]... n than the ugly incidents in soccer. To wit: France Vs. Ireland. Officiating at its worst!
    Did they show Football on the t.v in the USA 40 yrs ago ?
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '09 13:43
    Did they show Football on the t.v in the USA 40 yrs ago ?
    I did not live in the USA then!
  12. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '09 13:48
    I did not live in the USA then!
    From Italy ?
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '09 14:152 edits
    From Italy ?
    Let's just say from a rabidly nationalistic, pro soccer nation! La Scuadra Azzurra is closest to my heart ed io sono tifoso de Italia campioni 34, 38, 82, 06!!!!! I bleed blue!

BTW, one of the most thrilling games I've ever seen was England-Germany, 66! What a game! That's soccer at its best! Germany-Italy 70! Game for the ages! Netherlands-Argentina 78! Italy-Germany 82! Italy-France was not a good game. Officails robbed Italy of an outright win by nullifying a goal clearly not an offsides. Justice prevailed in the end! Ireland will get their just reward somehow. I grieve for Ireland. Losing the way they did has got to be horrible!
  14. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '09 16:15
    Let's just say from a rabidly nationalistic, pro soccer nation! La Scuadra Azzurra is closest to my heart ed io sono tifoso de Italia campioni 34, 38, 82, 06!!!!! I bleed blue!

BTW, one of the most thrilling games I've ever seen was England-Germany, 66! What a game! That's soccer at its best! Germany-Italy 70! Game for the ages! Netherlands-Argentina ...[text shortened]... ir just reward somehow. I grieve for Ireland. Losing the way they did has got to be horrible!
    Your football pedegree is A1
    Italy! , another team that we English never seem to beat :'(:'(:'(
    What do you think about Coppella in charge of the England team ?
    I personally think he is a top man !!
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '09 16:431 edit
    Your football pedegree is A1
    Italy! , another team that we English never seem to beat :'(:'(:'(
    What do you think about Coppella in charge of the England team ?
    I personally think he is a top man !!
    never mind that we got an Englishman in charge of our Rugby team, spit ding! All i can say is his granny better have been born north of the border! I may not be posting here much longer for i shall be on suicide watch for the next twenty four hours, i bequeath all my rating points to MacTayto in the meantime, if i dont make it through!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree