1. 6yd box
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 08:03
    Originally posted by AussieG
    [b]Twenty20 cricket is JUST NOT CRICKET. Does anyone really care about it? I certainly don't...
    will u be saying the same about test cricket after you lose the ASHES?
    😵😵

england---england...england....
  2. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 08:43
    Originally posted by spurs73
    will u be saying the same about test cricket after you lose the ASHES?
    😵😵

england---england...england....
    No way! Some of the best test cricket I've watched had Australia lose the series - eg. the 2005 Ashes and the 2001 series vs India. Bring that on! Magnificent stuff.

So what is it about Englands form that makes you so confident about reclaiming the Ashes? I must admit, I was more fearful of South Africa over the last summer.. But we shall see when the Ashes start! 😀
  3. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 21:13
    Well, it's coming down to the quarter finals and while I wasn't a fan of T20, I've warmed to it and started to appreciate it too. I guess it helps when my team (SA) is doing well. I also appreciate that there's a lot of skill involved - no longer the biff, bang, whallop of the early days. Some of the big name teams haven't come to terms with the skills required of T20 - and I think these are general, all round abilities ie a well balanced team that is excellent in all departments. With the result that some of the big names - England, India, Australia have fallen out.

Right now, I think it's going to come down to a South Africa - Sri Lanka final. SA have been totally dominant in all their games while Sri Lanka have really looked good.
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 09:19
    hence my point of it just being a batsmens game
    Batsmen are on top a lot of the time, but I don't think it's that simple. Look at Sri Lanka - some good batsmen, but the real reason they're doing so well is Murali/Mendis/Malinga. Similarly, South Africa have an excellent, well-balanced, bowling attack.
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 10:57
    Too bad SA has that World Cup Chokers monkey on our back... 😞

Ah well, we are still currently the top cricket squad in the world, so that will have to do.
  6. Standard memberMarcusr
    Bat Chain Puller
    Gone
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 11:05
    Originally posted by Crowley

Ah well, we are still currently the top cricket squad in the world, so that will have to do.
    Chokers maybe, but it wasn't nearly as amusing as the 1999 semi final! Fancy getting run out with the scores tied and two balls to go😀
  7. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 11:07

Not in test cricket - the best and the toughest form of cricket. And regarded as the form of the game that you'd want be number 1 in.. (well, here anyway!)
  8. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 11:15
    Originally posted by Marcusr
    Chokers maybe, but it wasn't nearly as amusing as the 1999 semi final! Fancy getting run out with the scores tied and two balls to go😀
    Yeah, that was magnifcent! That was a HUGE choke! They didn't need to run then.. Kleusner was trying to smack a boundry.. he only needed 1! It seems to be a trend of the South African teams over the years.. talented but seem to lack the mental toughness of other teams.. like the Aussies 🙂
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 12:45
    Not in test cricket - the best and the toughest form of cricket. And regarded as the form of the game that you'd want be number 1 in.. (well, here anyway!)
    All versions of the game.
    Australia are still 'officially' ranked 1, but that includes older tests. This should be rectified as the new season gets underway...
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 13:10
    Yeah, that was magnifcent! That was a HUGE choke! They didn't need to run then.. Kleusner was trying to smack a boundry.. he only needed 1! It seems to be a trend of the South African teams over the years.. talented but seem to lack the mental toughness of other teams.. like the Aussies 🙂
    Magnificent? Personally I prefer to win games right off the bat, not on technicalities.
    But that's just me...

Anyway, our mental toughness overall is fine, we just get ourselves tied up in technicalities and BS:
    '92 rained out against England, 22 runs off 1 ball. Pah!
    '99 the tournament format helped Aus through.
    '03 a brain-fart with the D/L system cost us. Damn rain AGAIN!
  11. 6yd box
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 23:39
    No way! Some of the best test cricket I've watched had Australia lose the series - eg. the 2005 Ashes and the 2001 series vs India. Bring that on! Magnificent stuff.

So what is it about Englands form that makes you so confident about reclaiming the Ashes? I must admit, I was more fearful of South Africa over the last summer.. But we shall see when the Ashes start! 😀
    we shall indeed
  12. 6yd box
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 23:42
    Magnificent? Personally I prefer to win games right off the bat, not on technicalities.
    But that's just me...

Anyway, our mental toughness overall is fine, we just get ourselves tied up in technicalities and BS:
    LOL how can u say that- its all part of the 'modern' game of cricket and it works both ways
  13. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 14:02
    But that's just me...

Yes, magnificent! Sure, I'd rather win too but if we can't, to go through in those circumstances was magnificent. And probably equally un-magnificent if it went the other way.. but lucky it's in the history books now.

South Africa were indeed screwed in '92 - how on earth did the administrators come up with 22 of 1 ball?? SA were looking like they were going to win and then it comes to that???

I don't have so much sympathy in '03 though.. if they were good enough, they would have progressed regardless of the rain - by winning other matches. I could use the same argument in '92 by saying if the Pakistan/England game was NOT washed out (as England was only chasing 70 odd and would have won), Australia would have made the semi-finals.. but quite simply, we weren't good enough.

Good, tough teams won't get caught up in technicalities.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree