1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 14:14
    Originally posted by mtthw
    It's not suddenly racist, though, is it? 'Monkey', references to living in trees, and variants on those have been common themes in racist abuse for decades. E.g. the cases of throwing bananas at black football players.
    Well OK, if you say so. I must have missed that memo...
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 14:18
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Well OK, if you say so. I must have missed that memo...
    Maybe it isn't in South Africa. It certainly is in Europe. Another example - Oleg Blokhin (Ukrainian football legend and manager) last year:

"Let them learn from Shevchenko or Blokhin and not from some Zuma-Bumba whom they took off a tree, gave him two bananas and now he plays in the Ukrainian League."

I'd say that was racist. Wouldn't you?
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 15:10
    Maybe it isn't in South Africa. It certainly is in Europe. Another example - Oleg Blokhin (Ukrainian football legend and manager) last year:

"Let them learn from Shevchenko or Blokhin and not from some Zuma-Bumba whom they took off a tree, gave him two bananas and now he plays in the Ukrainian League."

I'd say that was racist. Wouldn't you?
    That does sound racist, yes.

I just feel it gets pretty ridiculous. Where will it stop? I'm going to need a list of offensive things I can't say to opposition players before I walk onto the field next time...

In fairness to Singh, check out this:
    http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42524000/jpg/_42524755_symonds.jpg
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves

6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves

7. 6yd box
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 17:39
    Originally posted by Crowley
    I've been called a buffalo before, because I'm a big guy. I laughed it off.
    Andrew Symonds is an ugly bastard - why can't Harbhajan compare him to a monkey? Why is monkey suddenly racist?

I don't want to get into a whole debate about what is or isn't racist. All that is going to happen is people are going to call me a racist because I'm a white South Af ...[text shortened]... se someone compared you to an animal is childish and is making a mockery of this process.
    this is very worrying... i find myself agreeing with CROWLEY 100% for the second time today😡
  8. 6yd box
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 17:43
    Originally posted by AussieG
    Goodness, listen to all the armchair critics! It's a pretty safe bet that none of you have been in the Aussies or the oppositions dressings rooms, certainly wouldn't have been out on the ground in the field of play.. so let's face it, noone really has that much of an idea of what really goes on.. I'd love to come here with knowledge of what really goes on ...[text shortened]... gether and are good friends.. so that being the case, what happens on the field stays there.
    mate for your information i have and do play cricket every summer and i play sunday league football.

so with all due respect i do know what goes on in the 'middle' not in professional sport i admit, but competitive sport non-the less.πŸ˜€
  9. 6yd box
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 17:46
    It's not suddenly racist, though, is it? 'Monkey', references to living in trees, and variants on those have been common themes in racist abuse for decades. E.g. the cases of throwing bananas at black football players.
    Did he really call him a Monkey?
    I wonder as Symonds is a big guy. I have seen some of the coverage of the 'incident' and i really think Symonds would have reacted diffirently if he felt he was being abused in a racist sence.
  10. Standard membergaurav2711
    walking...
    ...back
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 18:29
    Doesnt matter....just ask the aussies to watch out for the Indians at Perth. They are about to hand out a thrashing as revenge.

Go India!! Chak de Phatte!!
  11. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 20:21
    Originally posted by spurs73
    mate for your information i have and do play cricket every summer and i play sunday league football.

so with all due respect i do know what goes on in the 'middle' not in professional sport i admit, but competitive sport non-the less.πŸ˜€
    What I meant here was that noone is out in the middle in a match involving the Aussies and can hear what they say and the sledging going on. So noone really knows what's going on out there.. so that means noone can make too many comments.

Professional sport does have much higher stakes than the club level games that you play so you could imagine that the professional players can get a little more testy than the average player. As a result, a few more words might get exchanged...
  12. 6yd box
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 00:56
    Originally posted by AussieG
    What I meant here was that noone is out in the middle in a match involving the Aussies and can hear what they say and the sledging going on. So noone really knows what's going on out there.. so that means noone can make too many comments.

Professional sport does have much higher stakes than the club level games that you play so you could imagine that the ...[text shortened]... little more testy than the average player. As a result, a few more words might get exchanged...
    agreed...i see what you are getting at.

anyway look like the tests are back on
  13. Standard membergaurav2711
    walking...
    ...back
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 07:591 edit
    Originally posted by gaurav2711
    just ask the aussies to watch out for the Indians at Perth. They are about to hand out a thrashing as revenge
    Aussies having a problem getting India out on a pacy WACA wicket, eh??

Edit...Shudnt have written this. Tendulkar goes for 71. πŸ™
  14. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 15:26
    lol aussies have got a few wickets lets hope the indians hold it together and get a large total and give the bowlers something to defend at.glad sehwag is back oppening thats the right move.
  15. Standard membergaurav2711
    walking...
    ...back
    Moves
    17 Jan '08 04:52
    not a huge total....330, but the way aussies are going at lunch (22/3), they sure are making it look big. Hehe!! πŸ˜€

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree