1. Joined
    04 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 May '09 15:56
    Manny Ramirez is being suspended for performance enhancing drugs. Does anyone not use in the mlb?
  2. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    07 May '09 16:14
    Originally posted by searcy1977
    Manny Ramirez is being suspended for performance enhancing drugs. Does anyone not use in the mlb?
    The Minnesota Twins do not use. They're lack of power is warrented and is not enhanced.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 May '09 16:361 edit
    50 days.

LOL!~

Does he take a pay hit? I hope so if he's unable to play because he cheated.

P-

Just heard he loses over 7M
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 May '09 18:26
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    50 days.

LOL!~

P-

50 games; not days.

But yes, he loses salary for the entire 50 games, which is almost 1/3 of the 20+ mil salary for the season.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    07 May '09 19:512 edits
    steroid era players - HR list (450+)

Barry Bonds - 762 - tainted
    Ken Griffey - 613+
    Sammy Sosa - 609 - tainted
    Mark McGwire - 583 - tainted
    Rafael Palmeiro - 569 - tainted
    Alex Rodriguez - 553+ - tainted
    Jim Thome - 545+
    Manny Ramirez - 533+ - tainted
    Frank Thomas - 521
    Gary Sheffield - 500+ - tainted
    Fred McGriff - 493
    Carlos Delgado - 472+
    Jose Canseco - 462 - tainted

all hail to the 5 people on this list whose achievements have not been tarnished (yet) -- and Chipper Jones (411), Vladimir Guerrero (393), and Albert Pujols (330) are the other clean (so far) players likely to reach 450.

If you consider that he missed four half-seasons due to injuries -- Griffey would right now be getting pretty close Hank Aaron's record for career clean HRs and Barry Bonds' asterisk festival -- injuries that he might have avoided had he been using steroids like everyone else...😀
    We need to appreciate him as being one of the all-time greats to ever play the game - at least until the next test tube drops

I always thought that McGriff had no chance of getting into the Hall of Fame -- he ended up with 493 HRs, but the general feeling has been that had he hit 500, he would've been the first to do this and not make it to the HOF - and I also though Delgado was in the same boat (his numbers are similar to McGriff's). But once you eliminate all the juicers, that 493 HR total looks a lot more impressive.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 May '09 22:29
    It doesn't matter griffey is gonna have to retire soon. Once his contract is over with the mariners nobody is going to want him unless he starts producing better. I mean come one one HR and a sub 200 batting average so far? I don't think its going to get much better that as the season progresses especially since Safeco isn't a hitters field.
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    07 May '09 22:59
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    50 days.

LOL!~

P-

given the amount of money the guy's made during his career, I doubt he'll miss $7M

but now he's been added to the list of players with tarnished legacies - players who will never see the hall of fame (at least not for a long time) - players who no one will want to honor despite their impressive achievements.

then again - if Manny cared about this sort of thing, he wouldn't have been using illegal stuff at a time when everyone's testing for it

I guess it's not really a surprise - but a part of me felt that since Manny is such a strange person who's always done things his own way - that perhaps he was one of the few superstars that WASN'T cheating
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 May '09 00:52
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    given the amount of money the guy's made during his career, I doubt he'll miss $7M

but now he's been added to the list of players with tarnished legacies - players who will never see the hall of fame (at least not for a long time) - players who no one will want to honor despite their impressive achievements.

then again - if Manny cared about this so ...[text shortened]... things his own way - that perhaps he was one of the few superstars that WASN'T cheating
    Hopefully, the Red Sox fans can now come down off their high horse about A-Rod.
  9. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 May '09 02:12
    I read Man Ram was taking women's fertility drugs.....?
  10. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    08 May '09 07:20
    Who does not use? The Boston Red Sox. If Papi did, he wouldnt be hurting now, and would have had obvious #s - like over 40-60 HRs per season.

Pretty obvious when someone is on steriods - their face gets all round and puffy. Look at before and after pictures of Bonds, Clemens and all the others.

The reason Manny was traded away was that all the Red Sox players were tired of his bad attitude and banded together and went to management. They didnt miss him even before this. They choose young, motivated players instead. Bay, Pedroia, Ellsbury, etc etc.
  11. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 May '09 12:26
    Originally posted by impatient
    Who does not use? The Boston Red Sox. If Papi did, he wouldnt be hurting now, and would have had obvious #s - like over 40-60 HRs per season.

Pretty obvious when someone is on steriods - their face gets all round and puffy. Look at before and after pictures of Bonds, Clemens and all the others.

The reason Manny was traded away was that all ...[text shortened]... before this. They choose young, motivated players instead. Bay, Pedroia, Ellsbury, etc etc.
    There is a good chance that Ortiz is not hitting because he is now off the juice. Bill Simmons (a huge Red Sox fan and a great writer) talks about how steriods tarnishes accomplishments (here in the 2004 context). He talks about how we chose to ignore his sudden magical rise upon reaching the Red Sox, his quick drop off when testing began, his friendship with many individuals who test positive. You can see his column on espn.com.
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 May '09 22:25
    Originally posted by quackquack
    There is a good chance that Ortiz is not hitting because he is now off the juice. Bill Simmons (a huge Red Sox fan and a great writer) talks about how steriods tarnishes accomplishments (here in the 2004 context). He talks about how we chose to ignore his sudden magical rise upon reaching the Red Sox, his quick drop off when testing began, his friendship with many individuals who test positive. You can see his column on espn.com.
    Also -- doesn't Ortiz have a face that's round and puffy? -- and no one's ever called him "Li'l Papi"

Actually - this is the real problem - everyone who achieves anything becomes suspect. There have been many players in the history of the game who have made unexpectedly rapid progress - and many who have had unexpectedly rapid declines -- but now, anything like that makes you a suspect.

Makes it harder to marvel at greatness -- makes it harder to route for a player to break a record.

I've decided that as far as I'm concerned, everyone is honest and clean until the evidence shows otherwise -- but I also believe that it's possible that any given player has been cheating - even the most wholesome players. Nothing here would shock me. Okay, maybe Cal Ripken...maybe....
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 May '09 23:37
    this is bad new for my fantasy league team 🙁
  14. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 May '09 03:32
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Also -- doesn't Ortiz have a face that's round and puffy? -- and no one's ever called him "Li'l Papi"

Actually - this is the real problem - everyone who achieves anything becomes suspect. There have been many players in the history of the game who have made unexpectedly rapid progress - and many who have had unexpectedly rapid declines -- but now, anyt ...[text shortened]... most wholesome players. Nothing here would shock me. Okay, maybe Cal Ripken...maybe....
    As much as you may want to have a presumption of innocence, the reality is that many of the great athletic accomplishment of recent times are performance enhanced. I find it interesting that Secretariat (thirty plus years later has all sorts of unbroken records) but human athletes somehow are consistently bigger and stronger.
  15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    13 May '09 05:43
    Originally posted by trev33
    this is bad new for my fantasy league team 🙁
    pick up juan pierre as a stopgap

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree