1. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 04:46
    Wayne Rooney couldn't throw peanuts at a Mariners game.

I suppose the Yankees would hire him though. Ask RB, he'd know.
  2. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 04:55
    Originally posted by Frank Burns
    Wayne Rooney couldn't throw peanuts at a Mariners game.

I suppose the Yankees would hire him though. Ask RB, he'd know.
    Ha! Maybe we should ask Daddy Steinbrenner to buy him. 😉
  3. LA
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 05:08
    Originally posted by Esoteric
    Man you’re hilarious! Rooney only got his 1st against AC due to a awesome ball from Scholes and it was a pretty scrappy finish. His second was a pretty good shot but Dida made a mess of it and so did the AC defence. Other than that he really did jack all for most of the game. He is really good but you simply cannot compare him to the likes of Messi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Henry etc.

Saying he is the next Maradona is hysterical.
    You don't get it man.
    He's 21.
    Ac Milan had only conceded 1 goal away from home in the CL.
    His first goal was fantastic, your showing you lack of knowledge by critisizing that goal, his positional play and run against the best defense in the world, chest control and volley are you blind?

The second a single powerful strike against the best defenfer in the world from a tight angle, his energy levels in the 91st minute are unreal.
    Rooney has scored in both games against Roma in the 1/4 finals and now Milan.
    He's doing it NOW against the BEST TEAMS and BEST PLAYERS.
    He defended for the team, as well as scoring 2 goals against the likes of Nesta, do you only watch the fancy flicks, tricks and goals?

Messi has done nothing against top teams, did he play against Liverpool in the CL?
    Ronaldinho is fat, he is not the same player.
    Henry is great but has had a bad season.
    Kaka, great player, but I could have scored the second goal and where was he in the 2nd half. Also where was Kaka in 2005 CL final, Gerrard was world class what hapened to Kaka?
    In the premier league Rooney is in the top 4 for both goals and assists, whats Messi's ratio?
    Messi can't defend.
    I've never seen Messi win a BIG game for Barcelona.
    Messi plays in a slow league that is 2nd rate compared to 2 years ago.
    Rooney could play in Italy or Spain, I doubt Messi could handle the pace in England or the defence in Italy.
    Manchester United lead by Rooney and Ronaldo are on course for the treble.
    What is Messi going to win, even La liga is looking unlikely for Barcelona, even the sad old has beens at Real Madrid could finish ahead of Barcelona and the Great Messi.
    Messi shows great potential, but is not consistent, not a big game player (eg. did nothing in CL in 2007). Is going to get fat like Ronaldinho when eating steak and fries on the beach watching United beat Chelsie in the CL final.

Rooney is a far superior all round player than Messi and does it in the big games.
    Even Ronaldo has had a better season than Messi.
    Messi plays well for 3 weeks, scores some good goals against nobody teams in a weak la liga and you think he is the best?
  4. LA
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 05:38
    Originally posted by Esoteric
    Man you’re hilarious! Rooney only got his 1st against AC due to a awesome ball from Scholes and it was a pretty scrappy finish. His second was a pretty good shot but Dida made a mess of it and so did the AC defence. Other than that he really did jack all for most of the game. He is really good but you simply cannot compare him to the likes of Messi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Henry etc.

Saying he is the next Maradona is hysterical.
    Just for the record check out these goals Mr Messi:

YouTube
    YouTube&mode=related&search=

And Messi - This is a complete player:
    YouTube
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 07:14
    Rooney's had a shocking season. There were times during the season when he couldn't even control the ball. The fact that he has scored 22 goals (while often being played out of position) shows the potential that he has, and some of his one touch play has been out of this world.

You do a disservice to the rest of the United team to say he beat Milan single handedly. Nesta had him in his pocket for large parts of the game.

D
  6. LA
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 16:43
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Rooney's had a shocking season. There were times during the season when he couldn't even control the ball. The fact that he has scored 22 goals (while often being played out of position) shows the potential that he has, and some of his one touch play has been out of this world.

You do a disservice to the rest of the United team to say he beat Milan single handedly. Nesta had him in his pocket for large parts of the game.

D
    Shocking season, you disrespect Rooney?
    25 goals so far,20 assists.
    You give him no credit for all the defensive work he does.

Scores goal of the CL tournament against Milan in 91st minute in semi final when all other players have accepted a draw.
    Helps destroy Roma 7-1.
    Has the best defensive game of any attacking player in the world.
    He plays poorly for England but thats not his fault, its management etc... also Lampard and Gerrard are terrible for England.
    Sorry, Italy is 2nd rate to English teams now, Look at your leagues best striker Schevvhenko, he is lightweight in England.
    United, Chelsie, Arsenal and Liverpool are all beter than any Italian team.
    Is (7-1) Roma really a top team?
    United beat Milan with 3 of 4 1st choice defenders out.
    The italian league has no players to compare to Rooney, Henry, Gerrard and Ronaldo(young version).
    Who you got to compare?...... Kaka, Totti, Old Ronaldo, errrr Maldini lol.....

Englands second string top players are all beter than the best Italian league players:
    Ballack, Schevchenko, Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, Robben, Giggs, Scholes, Cech.

Times have changed, all the money and talent is in England to stay now.
    Our teams have been bought out by billionaires, we can now buy any players we choose.
    Messi, Kaka, Eto, Robino and Ronaldinhio will all play in England within 3 or 4 years (if they can still play to a high level).

I don't mean to offend you and I appologize if I have,
    Its just Rooney does not get the world recognition he deserves.
    He's 21, what was Ronaldinho doing at 21 at PSG?
    Rooney has had poor spells this season, but when it really matters in our big games he is there as the best player.
    The only other player who single handely destroyed Milan like Rooney did was gerrard in Istanbul in the CL final in 2005.

Chelsie and United are the best teams in the world and you are all going to have to accept it.
  7. LA
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 19:211 edit
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    Shocking season, you disrespect Rooney?
    25 goals so far,20 assists.
    You give him no credit for all the defensive work he does.

Scores goal of the CL tournament against Milan in 91st minute in semi final when all other players have accepted a draw.
    Helps destroy Roma 7-1.
    Has the best defensive game of any attacking player in the world. Chelsie and United are the best teams in the world and you are all going to have to accept it.
    28/4/2007
    Rooney, man on the match, wins game and Premier League for Manchester United in apparently a 'shocking season', according to an earlier post.

Half time Everton 2-0 Manchester United.

2nd half United fight back to 2-2, then the worlds best player Rooney, takes center stage:-

YouTube
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 20:02
    28/4/2007
    Rooney, man on the match, wins game and Premier League for Manchester United in apparently a 'shocking season', according to an earlier post.

Half time Everton 2-0 Manchester United.

2nd half United fight back to 2-2, then the worlds best player Rooney, takes center stage:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU5B0Ll8Jnw
    He miscontrolled the ball for his goal.

D
  9. LA
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 20:19
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    He miscontrolled the ball for his goal.

D
    Not quite.

His control was not perfect when he trapped the ball from the cross.
    He recovered, turned the defender with a delicate caress of the ball.
    Then placed the ball into the net to score the match winning goal.
    Kissed the United badge to show Everton he's a red.
    And has given United a 5 point lead with 3 games to go.

Another big game.
    Another match winning individual effort.
    Roll on Wednesday and watch out Milan - Rooney is in town.
  10. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 23:50
    Not quite.

His control was not perfect when he trapped the ball from the cross.
    He recovered, turned the defender with a delicate caress of the ball.
    Then placed the ball into the net to score the match winning goal.
    Kissed the United badge to show Everton he's a red.
    And has given United a 5 point lead with 3 games to go.

Another big ga ...[text shortened]... er match winning individual effort.
    Roll on Wednesday and watch out Milan - Rooney is in town.
    One of your earlier posts got me thinking...

The Premiership is attracting the BIG name players in the game, but I agree with you that they find it difficult to adapt to the pace of the English game.

examples:

Ballack - BIG name - done nowt. I'd rather see Joe Cole.

Shevchenko - MASSIVE name, but has only recently started to 'find his feet' after a season in England.

Tevez - BIG name, BIG reputation, but could be playing 2nd Division footy next season.

Essien - BIG name (wasn't he African Player of the Year or summat?) - not fit to lace Paul Scholes boots.

and from past seasons:

Mirandinha - ask a Geordie what he contributed to them.

Iversen - ask a Yid what he contributed to them.

Cruyff Jnr - lived off his fatha's name.

...there are many many more....

Football: England invented it, and English football is still the best game in the World.
  11. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 00:21
    Originally posted by blade68

The Premiership is attracting the BIG name players in the game, but I agree with you that they find it difficult to adapt to the pace of the English game.

examples:

Shevchenko - MASSIVE name, but has only recently started to 'find his feet' after ...[text shortened]...

Football: England invented it, and English football is still the best game in the World.
    You can call'em "big names" only the first two players you mentioned, the others are players with all to demonstrate, they won absolutely nothing in their career...........

Iversen and Mirandinha "big names"???? please..........
  12. LA
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 00:34

examples:

Shevchenko - MASSIVE name, but has only recently started to 'find his feet' after ...[text shortened]...

A lot of what you point out I agree with.

Other examples include:-
    - Henry in his first season went 14 games without a goal
    - Veron, enough said
    - Pires was terrible for Arsenal in his first season

I think the main issue is that the English style of play is very different to Italy and Spain. Its all about pace, no time on the ball and closing down players as quickly as possible.

Most English sides play dull, boring, physical football and its dominated by long balls into the box.

But.....

We have Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsie and Liverpool.
    They are by far the best teams in England and there are clear signs that these teams are starting to dominate the Champions League over the last 3 years.

The first thing to consider now is that you could say these teams have possibly 4 of the best coaches in world football.
    Ferguson, Wenger, Morinio and Benitez.

The second, all 4 teams do play attractive football (mainly United and Arsenal) but Chelsie and Liverpool at times play very attractive football. Its a different style to Spain and Italy but it has fast pace, great skill and our best teams tend to use wingers that run box to box in 10 second counter attacks.

Cruyff Snr actually said that Uniteds 7-1 result against Roma was the most impressive example of total football he had ever seen.

Some players can't adapt to our style of play.
    But look at C Ronaldo, he has developed into a true world talent.
    Viera and Henry could not make an impact in Italy but Wenger turned them into 2 of the best players in world football in their positions.
    Drogba after 2 years has become a world force.
    Essien has had a great season at Chelsie this year.
    Bergkamp took a year to adapt at Arsenal.
    Ferguson developed: Nistelrooy, Stam, Cantona.

I think with the right manager, England is a place that can turn a talented player into a world beater.

Now we have our smaller clubs being bought out by big money men.
    This will probably lead to better managers arriving.
    Which will lead to possibly more examples like the ones described above.

You are right though in that it seems most players that come to England need about 1 year to start to play good football.

Ballack is starting to get consistent now, Tevez is now playing exceptional football (but is at a very poor club), if he joined United or Arsenal I think he would develop into a true world class player.
    The same goes for Robihno, he is wasted in Spain, but I believe Ferguson or Wenger could turn him into the player he has the potential to be.

English football is the best now I think, but Spain could bounce back if Madrid spend big money and give thier managers time to develop a team.
  13. LA
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 00:43
    Originally posted by Ravello
    You can call'em "big names" only the first two players you mentioned, the others are players with all to demonstrate, they won absolutely nothing in their career...........

Iversen and Mirandinha "big names"???? please..........
    Again I think its down to the team and the manager they play for.
    If the players had joined United or Arsenal they could have made it big time.

I realise Cruyff jnr was at United.
    His problem was how do you get into a midfiled that already contains Giggs, Scholes, Keane and Beckham.
  14. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 00:49

examples:

"England invented it, and English football is still the best game in the World"

premiership full of foriegners makes us good??? harsh truth is that English football is crap. England football team has to be the worst since Taylor and now i'm even starting to think we were better then than we are now. Premiership is terrible. if you want to see good football better off watching it in the lower leagues.AFC Wimbledon provide far more entertainment on a saturday afternoon than most the premier teams
  15. LA
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 01:04
    Originally posted by Wycombe Al
    "England invented it, and English football is still the best game in the World"

premiership full of foriegners makes us good??? harsh truth is that English football is crap. England football team has to be the worst since Taylor and now i'm even starting to think we were better then than we are now. Premiership is terrible. if you want to see good foot ...[text shortened]... Wimbledon provide far more entertainment on a saturday afternoon than most the premier teams
    We're talking about English teams not English players.
    Our top 4 teams are 4 of the best teams in Europe.

Most Premiership sides like I said play quite dull football, and the lower league stuff your talking about.... I'd rather watch re-runs of a dull soap on TV.

The English team is poor, but with a manager like Wenger I think things could change.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree