What a graceful fighter.
    Yes, he was just like a swan, he would have made a great ballerina.😉
  3. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 06:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What a graceful fighter.
    Screw Muhammad Ali, he should have been arrested for the things he did, i.e. burning his draft card and refusing to be drafted! I don't care if you disliked the war or the draft but at least respect the country!
  4. Joined
    20 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 13:47
    Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
    Screw Muhammad Ali, he should have been arrested for the things he did, i.e. burning his draft card and refusing to be drafted! I don't care if you disliked the war or the draft but at least respect the country!
    I thought he did go to jail for refusing to be drafted.

I also thought the reason he refused to be drafted was because he was of the opinion he was fighting his own "war" with his fellow countryman and the way they treated him and African Americans.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 14:242 edits
    He was arrested, you ninny. And let's hope that one day the U.S. never has to invoke the draft again, especially not to fight in such a senseless war like the one in Vietnam. Just remember, the rights and freedoms of the people in the United States does not include the right to refuse to engage in armed combat even if it goes against your core beliefs as an individual.

Who teaches you history, kid?

And, by the way, that statement you made would absolutely sicken John Lennon.

ALI FOREVER. THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME.
  6. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 15:34
    Originally posted by darvlay
    He was arrested, you ninny. And let's hope that one day the U.S. never has to invoke the draft again, especially not to fight in such a senseless war like the one in Vietnam. Just remember, the rights and freedoms of the people in the United States does not include the right to refuse to engage in armed combat even if it goes against your core beliefs as a ...[text shortened]... tement you made would absolutely sicken John Lennon.

ROFLMAO Well anyways, I never said I believed in the same things as John Lennon! I just like his music, I don't stand for what he believed in!
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 23:221 edit
    All that may be true but you must respect the fact that he was a man of conviction. Do you really think he would care what the consequences were for avoiding the draft? There are two kinds of people. There are some who avoided the draft to avoid the harsher reality of war than that of prison. Then there are those who avoided the draft to avoid the harsher consequences of going against their principles and convictions than that of war. I think Ali to be the later. For example, if I recall he threw his Olympic medal into the river in protest over something. Only a man of conviction would do such a thing.

As far him being a fighter, however, I say he was the best. I say this not only because of his ability but because of his brains. I think your brain to be the most important weapon one could have. Then agian, how do we explain Mike Tyson? Oh well, I stand behind what I have said any way.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 03:081 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    He was arrested, you ninny. And let's hope that one day the U.S. never has to invoke the draft again, especially not to fight in such a senseless war like the one in Vietnam. Just remember, the rights and freedoms of the people in the United States does not include the right to refuse to engage in armed combat even if it goes against your core beliefs as a ...[text shortened]... tement you made would absolutely sicken John Lennon.

Darvlay: Just remember, the rights and freedoms of the people in the United States does not include the right to refuse to engage in armed combat even if it goes against your core beliefs as an individual.

Actually it does. There are exemptions for conscientious objectors. And Ali's conviction for refusing to serve was thrown out by the US Supreme Court.

EDIT: "Nothing contained in this title shall be construed to require any person to he subject to combatant training and service in the armed forces of the United Slates who, by reason of religious training and belief, is conscientiously opposed to participation in wsr in any form. . . the term `religious training and belief' does not include essentially politicsl, sociologicsl, or philosophicxl views, or a merely personal moral code. Any person. . . whose claim is sustained by the local board shall, if he is inducted into the armed forces. . . be assigned to noncombatant service. . . or shall, if he is found to be conscientiously opposed to participation in such noncombatant service. . .perform ... civilian work contributing to the maintenance of the nxtional health, safety, or interest. . . "-Section 6(j) of the Military Selective Service Act.

This page gives an overview and make a good case that the availability of CO status is an established right, not merely a decision of the legislature that may be changed. http://www.scn.org/IP/sdmcc/co.htm
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 14:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Darvlay: Just remember, the rights and freedoms of the people in the United States does not include the right to refuse to engage in armed combat even if it goes against your core beliefs as an individual.

Actually it does. There are exemptions for conscientious objectors. And Ali's conviction for refusing to serve was thrown out by the U ...[text shortened]... merely a decision of the legislature that may be changed. http://www.scn.org/IP/sdmcc/co.htm
    Cool. Thanks for the link, no1.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree