1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 05:102 edits
    To predict the SB winners!

My prediction is the New Orleans Saints.

Simply because they are hot going in and they DONT have a first round bye.

They will beat the Patriots to win it.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 16:311 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    To predict the SB winners!

My prediction is the New Orleans Saints.

Simply because they are hot going in and they DONT have a first round bye.

They will beat the Patriots to win it.
    Baltimore over Green Bay.

Pats can't stop anyone and if anyone can get to Brady, it's Baltimore.

I don't think the Saints can go win in Lambeau; though I agree that they're the team with the best chance to do it.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 17:50
    Originally posted by sh76
    Baltimore over Green Bay.

Pats can't stop anyone and if anyone can get to Brady, it's Baltimore.

I don't think the Saints can go win in Lambeau; though I agree that they're the team with the best chance to do it.
    Well, I don't really like picking anybody with a first round bye.... history says that chances aren't so great if you miss that first week.

I don't think GB can beat NO or SF, really.

People say that SanFran can't put up points but they played something like 7 top ten defenses and when they played less than great defenses they did put up some points.... so whoever wins the game between SF and NO will be the superbowl winners IMO.... nobody in the AFC really stands out to me so it really seems like a toss up. Whoever is hot will make it.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 21:02
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Well, I don't really like picking anybody with a first round bye.... history says that chances aren't so great if you miss that first week.

I don't think GB can beat NO or SF, really.

People say that SanFran can't put up points but they played something like 7 top ten defenses and when they played less than great defenses they did put up some points. ...[text shortened]... AFC really stands out to me so it really seems like a toss up. Whoever is hot will make it.
    History says the exact opposite:

Why is a first-round bye so desired? Of the past 21 Super Bowl winners, 15 skipped wild-card weekend. That includes the last 49ers team to hoist the Lombardi Trophy, when they ruled as a No.1 seed in the 1994 season. Bypassing the opening round historically has provided an easier path to the Super Bowl. Then again, those first-round byes are rewarded to the top two teams in each conference, so they're favored to advance, anyhow. Since 1990, 30 out of 84 teams with first-round byes reached the Super Bowl. Of the 12 teams that made it there as a No.2 seed, six prevailed as world champions, the latest being the 2008 Pittsburgh Steelers.

http://www.macon.com/2011/12/31/1845428/49ers-seeking-first-round-bye.html
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 21:06
    Originally posted by no1marauder

Why is a first-round bye so desired? Of the past 21 Super Bowl winners, 15 skipped wild-card weekend. That includes the last 49ers team to hoist the Lombardi Trophy, when they ruled as a No.1 seed in the 1994 season. Bypassing the opening round historically has provided an easier path to the Super Bowl. Th ...[text shortened]... tsburgh Steelers.

Everything else aside, it's just plain common sense to realize that one has a better chance to win three games than to win four games.

One also has a better chance to win at home than to win on the road.

Ergo, having a bye is an advantage.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 21:202 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder

Why is a first-round bye so desired? Of the past 21 Super Bowl winners, 15 skipped wild-card weekend. That includes the last 49ers team to hoist the Lombardi Trophy, when they ruled as a No.1 seed in the 1994 season. Bypassing the opening round historically has provided an easier path to the Super Bowl. Th tsburgh Steelers.

many of the teams that missed out on a good seed this year were quite worthy of a first round bye but only two teams in each conference get it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree