1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 18:18
    Red Sox got rained out! I'm pretty mad, I was looking forward to Ortiz and Coco (and whoever else) wearing the historic and retired Number 42. Since they were rained out, I was NOT able to see this.

Did anyone enjoy the day?

Also, some of the sports talk is about how there are fewer African Americans in baseball now than there were in the 60's. How can we entice more to play the game? My understanding is, it's easier to hand any kid a basketball or football and let them go. Baseball is more organized and requires more equipment to get a game going. I think all parks and camps should have all the baseball equipment available for everyone so they can play baseball if they like.

Baseball is the greatest sport in my mind, and I want EVERYONE to enjoy it, not just a select few. I understand you can't force someone to play something they have no interest in, but is there any way we can get more children of ALL races to play this wonderful sport?

P-
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 08:13
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Red Sox got rained out! I'm pretty mad, I was looking forward to Ortiz and Coco (and whoever else) wearing the historic and retired Number 42. Since they were rained out, I was NOT able to see this.

Did anyone enjoy the day?

Also, some of the sports talk is about how there are fewer African Americans in baseball now than there were in the 60's. Ho ...[text shortened]... t is there any way we can get more children of ALL races to play this wonderful sport?

P-
    Fitting that the Sux didn't wind up playing on Jackie Robinson day; they were the last MLB to integrate. http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/oct/redsox/

Maybe they'll have a Jackie Robinson day in another 12 years.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 15:05
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Fitting that the Sux didn't wind up playing on Jackie Robinson day; they were the last MLB to integrate. http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/oct/redsox/

Maybe they'll have a Jackie Robinson day in another 12 years.
    Too bad I need to be punished as a Sox fan for something that happened years before I was even born.

P-
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 15:17
    Too bad I need to be punished as a Sox fan for something that happened years before I was even born.

P-
    I'm a firm believer in karmic retribution.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 15:19

P-
    The argument against gay marriage in Massachusettes:

"But your honah, they're ****ing QUARE!"

(credit to Louis CK)
  6. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 04:31
    Jackie Robinson. His only claim to fame was he broke the color barrier. His stats aren't too impressive in the 10 years he played. To tell you the truth. They suck.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 04:38
    Originally posted by slimjim
    Jackie Robinson. His only claim to fame was he broke the color barrier. His stats aren't too impressive in the 10 years he played. To tell you the truth. They suck.
    Mighty white of you to notice.

P-
  8. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 06:41
    Mighty white of you to notice.

P-
    Just stating the facts. I can name hundreds of Black Baseball players with much better stats that deserve far more recognition than Jackie.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree