1. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    09 Apr '09 21:24
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    This is the latest dream test team published in yesterdays Daily Telegraph from our so called cricket guru masters:-

Virender Sehwag
    Graeme Smith
    Ricky Ponting
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Kevin Pietersen
    Shivnarine Chanderpaul
    Mahendra Singh Dhoni
    Harbhajan Singh
    Mitchell Johnson
    Dale Steyn
    Zaheer Khan

I guess Wisden don't rate Kallis amongst today's greatest players either.
    This is a current and biased form team. I'd take any team of greats of the last 40 years and thrash this lot. And I'd also take Kallis in my pick.
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    09 Apr '09 21:31
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    This is a current and biased form team. I'd take any team of greats of the last 40 years and thrash this lot. And I'd also take Kallis in my pick.
    Yeah. I didn't even waste my bloody time replying to that crap.

Did you see those 70 selfish runs he made off 80 odd balls today in our proper thrashing of Australia?
    Jeez, what an ass!
    😲
  3. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    09 Apr '09 21:442 edits
    I do actually agree but the great fire-workers of the ball didn't go out regularly, they were also very capable of playing long big innings.When sobers came out spectators were thrilled.

The last time we had this thread I think we went through some dream teams... quite a bit of fun. Pick a touring 13. Kallis in her? not in my book..sorry

1. Ba ...[text shortened]... icket.. in for tendulkar)
    13 Richard Hadlee (moist air and a bit of green.. in for Tendulkar)
    Crowley often overstates his position a la Kallis. But he has a point, South African cricketers are often ignored in these "greatest" rankings. Believe me, Kallis stands up there in the pantheon if only for his longevity. Others have burned brighter but alas, shorter. Kallis goes on, frustrating his critics. 70 off 86 balls today to lay the foundation for a comprehesive win over Australia. His record is inarguable and it seems the only complaint is that he's not explosive or flashy or exciting. And he doesn't have an adoring Press behind him, extolling his every virtues.

As for your touring 13 - no Graeme Pollock? The second best Test batsman ever? And yet you have Sobers at 4? You might have sentimental favourites, but you really have to pick more rationally.
  4. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    09 Apr '09 22:031 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Yeah. I didn't even waste my bloody time replying to that crap.

Did you see those 70 selfish runs he made off 80 odd balls today in our proper thrashing of Australia?

If that insult is directed at me I hope you'll do your job as a mod and ban yourself for a while because the team was wisdens not mine.
    Jeez, what an ass!
    😲
    That team is The 2009 Wisden World Team". I honestly thought you'd enjoy deriding it rather than insulting me. World cricket has never been in a worse state.

someone at Wisden doesn't rate Kallis maybe they listen to all those ex test player commentators that also don't like him.

You started a thread I'm merely showing that lots, even at top level disagree with you.
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    09 Apr '09 22:322 edits
    That team is The 2009 Wisden World Team". I honestly thought you'd enjoy deriding it rather than insulting me. World cricket has never been in a worse state.

someone at Wisden doesn't rate Kallis maybe they listen to all those ex test player commentators that also don't like him.

You started a thread I'm merely showing that lots, even at top level disagree with you.
    Insulting you? Where do you get that from?
    I think the Wisden bunch are idiots and I won't waste my time picking through that turd of a team.

EDIT!
    Ah, I see you say 2009 dream team now. You didn't post the date in your earlier post...

Many people overlook Kallis, because he's not a 'flashy' player.
    This doesn't really bother me, as the stats don't lie.
    I just hope we informed few can help Kallis get the proper 'legend' recognition he deserves NOW - rather than have me blubbering about him in my old age as you are now about the legends of yore.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    09 Apr '09 22:37
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    South African cricketers are often ignored in these "greatest" rankings.
    The isolation years.
    If it wasn't for that scourge - apartheid - we'd have a few more feature.
  7. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 02:32
    Originally posted by Crowley
    The isolation years.
    If it wasn't for that scourge - apartheid - we'd have a few more feature.
    I couldn't understand Wisden's thinking. We used to wait for the almanack to come out every year to follow their world picks but this one is strange and I was genuinely asking why would they leave out Kallis and which player would be occupying his spot?

I don't think you need to worry. SA does have it's share of the greats. That Keith Stackpole commentary blurb was lauding lots of SA's. No one denies Kallis's stats put him on top but it won't make people like him one way or the other. I have a great soft spot for Barry Richards as he opened with Gordon Greenwich at my home town for many many years.. great bat and nice guy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree