1. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 18:01
    The word I saw in the local papers is that Garcia's agent requested a 5 day "grace period" following the beginning of free agency in which to see what Jeff could get via free agency. The Eagles only bargain from a position of strength, so they just signed AJ instead of waiting.

Is it a mistake? Depends...I guess it's possible they could have lost both AJ and Garcia if they gave Garcia time to look. Also, they promised AJ the #2 job when he came in last year. Since the only reason Garcia got the nod over AJ last season was the promise they made to Jeff when *he* signed, I have to say they're at least being consistent.

To be honest though, they probably also figured they'd have to pay him significantly more than AJ and the birds never, ever overpay for a player. Much as I liked what Garcia gave this town last season, it doesn't surprise me at all. It kind of saddens me but if Garcia lands a starting job in free agency then he's better off anyway. I don't know if he'll make it through a whole season the way he plays, but I hope he at least gets a shot. Personally, I think he caught lightning in a bottle this past season, but yuo never know...

It's too bad he couldn't have played here in his prime. Jeff Garcia is everything this town loves in an pro athlete. He turned a potential nightmare season into a really fun ride.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree