1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '12 03:36
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I was just merely alluding to the massive amounts of objective data out there linking low IQ with social/religious conservatives.

Many of the rest of us are not surprised,
    Objective data? Anything applauded by the Daily Kos is far from objective. The study you cite is not normative, lacks peer review and is really a bunch of horse puckey. Any "alleged" study lacking peer review and official sanction by a multitude of studies, corroborative data, re-study, psychometric testing to gauge the results and mountains of proof is merely anecdotal and worthless. Just think about substituting a racial minority or females and such for so called low IQ people and you start seeing the problem with drivel like you cite. Any study painting with such broad strokes an entire group of people fails based on bias alone. Racism is too complex a problem to attribute solely to low IQ for as such then everyone of low IQ would be racist or conservative. Again I go back to leftists. Obama campaigned in "all 57 states". Such a dumb statement makes his IQ suspect and therefore a racist? The very idea stinks to high heaven as a study such as the one you cite is a lengthy non sequitur. BTW, I do believe BHO is a racist, but not because of his IQ. It is his association with the Rev. Wright and Professor Bell, formerly of Harvard. Lastly you are not surprised because you harbor elitist ideas and grandiose opinions about yourself as a "not one of them", lack curiosity to apply critical analysis to drivel studies and are so inclined to believe garbage because you obviously revert to your factory settings, ie, liberal, and hence anything "probative" of others who differ from you politically, viewing them as too stupid to not believe as you do. Again I repeat this speaks quite more loudly about you than about the subjects of the study you cite.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    25 Mar '12 04:15
    Originally posted by moon1969
    From an article about a recent UK study.

Low IQ behind some conservative beliefs

Children with low intelligence are more likely to grow up to be social conservatives and racists, researchers found in a study published out of the U.K.

The study, which appeared in the journal Psychological Science and was written up by LifeScience, built upon ...[text shortened]... . .

http://blog.chron.com/hottopics/2012/01/low-iq-behind-some-conservative-beliefs/
    LMAO...

Surely you know the Chronicle is a left wing rag.
    You may as well listen to CNN or CSNBC or ABC or CBS.

If you want the other radical slant, listen to Fox.

Most writers have low IQ's and can't go to the toilet without instructions.
    I know MANY of the writers at the Chronicle, and I know what I am talking about.
  3. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '12 20:111 edit
    scacchipazzo,
    You must have me confused with the people on the "Spirituality" Forum.
    I was alluding to Tebow's behavior on the football field. Have you ever seen him play QB? I have. He plays like a moron!
    (Also, Bradshaw and Roethlisberger played/play like morons in my opinion, and I've watched Steeler football since 1962.)
    I have seen intelligent play from pro QB's in Tarkenton and Marino, among others. But NOT from Tim Tebow! Guy's a dunce.
    Fit right in on the Jets.
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    27 Mar '12 00:44
    YouTube&feature=g-logo&context=G26da8e5FOAAAAAAACAA
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Mar '12 02:46
    Originally posted by DanTriola
    scacchipazzo,
    You must have me confused with the people on the "Spirituality" Forum.
    I was alluding to Tebow's behavior on the football field. Have you ever seen him play QB? I have. He plays like a moron!
    (Also, Bradshaw and Roethlisberger played/play like morons in my opinion, and I've watched Steeler football since 1962.)
    I have seen intelligent ...[text shortened]... d Marino, among others. But NOT from Tim Tebow! Guy's a dunce.
    Fit right in on the Jets.
    That's a pretty bizarre assertion. Tebow's problem is his inability to throw the ball accurately. His football intelligence is excellent. The fact that he won all those games in spite of his inability to throw the ball well is proof of that.

What is the possible basis for your assertion that Tebow's on the field play is like a "moron" and a "dunce"?

Pray tell, please.
  6. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Mar '12 16:14
    Originally posted by sh76
    That's a pretty bizarre assertion. Tebow's problem is his inability to throw the ball accurately. His football intelligence is excellent. The fact that he won all those games in spite of his inability to throw the ball well is proof of that.

What is the possible basis for your assertion that Tebow's on the field play is like a "moron" and a "dunce"?

Pray tell, please.
    Dear sh, (can I say shh?)
    Just listen to him talk!
    I'm speaking as one who has watched, (but never played!), pro football since Bobby Lane led the Steelers. Now, there was a dumb jock! Could not throw the ball straight, and still took the Steelers to their best ever season in '62 at that point in my lifetime. The guy was also a moron, as he refused to wear a face guard, (probably because he was so drunk every time he played he'd not feel the pain!), and was a much better QB than Tebow because he could win with those old Steeler teams! Tebow didn't win those games on his talent. He won due to his supporting cast and the lousy play of his opponents, like that last game with the Steelers. (Boy, are they going to be bad this upcoming season!) They had nothing last year either. The guy is a media creation. Big and strong, and dumb. After all, he played in the SEC! Same as Namath, whose juvenile probation officer i once met in 1972. She said: "It just goes to show how a rotten kid can grow up to be a rotten adult." Football will get you everything in the SEC. Tebow certainly benefited from the SEC's PR department. At least Denver's off the hook now. I like Denver. And since I despise any NY team, that's a trade to savor. Should be interesting.
    And, "football intelligence"? How's that equate to true intelligence? Bob Griese had "football intelligence" AND real intelligence. Kept his mouth shut.

(I obviously can't!) So if you want to call me an idiot, see my profile page.
    BTW, I just looked at yours. Don't think we have any common reality to work with.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    27 Mar '12 17:01

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '12 21:371 edit
    I think it makes sense but it doesn't serve as a rule.

ie you can't say everyone with low IQ will be a conservative and everyone who has a high IQ will not be a conservative.

However, the tendency to be conservative out of ignorance makes sense because you can imagine that a person of lesser intelligence and knowledge would tend to more restrictive behavior and beliefs.

edit: This is in reply to moons study on the correlation between IQ and religious/social tendencies.
  9. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    28 Mar '12 01:51
    Tebow knows football, but that doesn't have a lot to do with IQ. He grew up with it. Did you hear his press conference? The media ended up poking fun at him for using the word "excited" over 40 times in a short span. You would think someone with a high IQ wouldn't have such vocabulary issues...
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    28 Mar '12 02:32
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    Tebow knows football, but that doesn't have a lot to do with IQ. He grew up with it. Did you hear his press conference? The media ended up poking fun at him for using the word "excited" over 40 times in a short span. You would think someone with a high IQ wouldn't have such vocabulary issues...
    The fact of the matter is they pay him to play football, not to make speeches.

Also, he just may have been that excited.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Mar '12 12:49
    Dear sh, (can I say shh?)
    Just listen to him talk!
    I'm speaking as one who has watched, (but never played!), pro football since Bobby Lane led the Steelers. Now, there was a dumb jock! Could not throw the ball straight, and still took the Steelers to their best ever season in '62 at that point in my lifetime. The guy was also a moron, as he refused to ...[text shortened]... TW, I just looked at yours. Don't think we have any common reality to work with.
    Relax, Dan. I have no interest in calling you an idiot or any other name. You may have kicked my butt in chess a couple of times (unsurprising, based on your rating), but I have nothing against you.

You can surmise what you want based on interviews, but the fact remains that, on the field, if there's on thing that Tebow has shown, it's an excellent ability to manage games in the clutch. He did the same in college, winning 2 titles an a Heisman without being an accurate thrower.

If you're going to pick on Tebow, I think his football intelligence would be the last thing to pick on.
  12. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Mar '12 20:49
    Originally posted by sh76
    Relax, Dan. I have no interest in calling you an idiot or any other name. You may have kicked my butt in chess a couple of times (unsurprising, based on your rating), but I have nothing against you.

You can surmise what you want based on interviews, but the fact remains that, on the field, if there's on thing that Tebow has shown, it's an excellent ability t ...[text shortened]... going to pick on Tebow, I think his football intelligence would be the last thing to pick on.
    Steve,
    Now I remember!
    But I didn't kick your anything. You just liked to let Bishops hang, and I could not resist taking them. It put you at a disadvantage.
    I was demeaning his general intelligence. And since I've found very few football players to have much in the way of intelligence, that classification is not so bad! But, you have to admit that his play is hardly cerebral. He'd make a good rugby player, where, (and here I go offending all the Brits!), brute force is the name of the game. However, I can say that, of all athletic endeavors, rugby is the greatest mystery to me. That, and NASCAR. The intellectual part of both sports escapes me.
    The point I was trying to make, but only alluded to in a rather indirect fashion, is that professional sports these days appeals more and more to the anti-intellectuals. Football used to be a game of normal-sized people who used their wits as much as their athletic ability. One who enjoys the game of chess could enjoy watching a football game, or any sport, and see the mental effort expended along with the physical work. Now, the fans spend their money to see unthinking brutality while they have an excuse to get drunk. A drunk could appreciate Bobby Lane, for they both were equally soused. But they like Tebow because he's big and fast and runs the plays well that they call for him. There are too many QB's in that mold these days (Roethlisberger is one), and too few like Bart Starr or Griese who relied on more than their physical gifts to win games. Guess that's why I like hockey better these days, as winning requires creativity, despite its brutal nature.
    Denver won enough to make the playoffs last year thanks to the rest of the team, not Tebow. That, and luck! It just bugs me that he's made out to be such a great talent, when the Broncos could have easily done as well without him. Now, with Manning, they may win it all.
    Anyway, that's my opinion.
    I did forget you're a NY resident. Sorry. Still, I can't believe you really like Rex Ryan as other than entertainment! And NYC is the media capitol of the world! (Not the spiritual capitol though. Not sure the Tebow Show will play well there.)
    And sorry that I tend to hyperbole to make a point. It's just my nature. I prefer that tact to utilizing crudities requiring no thought whatsoever.
  13. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 16:47
    Steve,
    Now I remember!
    But I didn't kick your anything. You just liked to let Bishops hang, and I could not resist taking them. It put you at a disadvantage.
    I was demeaning his general intelligence. And since I've found very few football players to have much in the way of intelligence, that classification is not so bad! But, you have to admit that hi ...[text shortened]... my nature. I prefer that tact to utilizing crudities requiring no thought whatsoever.
    Crickey, some of the absolute tripe you watch and you have the temerity to suggest rugby is on a par with NASCAR 'intellectually'...what is wrong with you, I suggest a trip to Europe to enlighten you..give me a months notice and I MIGHT put you up in a five star shed that my mother in law eloquently calls a 'summer house'..Paris mind you, tempted ?? lol...
    Rugby made simple in 5mins and you never know, you could well end up watching something actually worth the time to do so 😀
    YouTube
  14. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 18:48
    I only said that neither is a sport i understand. Watched Invictus 3 times and still could not figure how the game is played! The times I've watched it on ESPN all seemed repetitive. But that's how you'd probably see ice hockey.
    I will take that offer though. Have to keep up with my kids and see Paris before I croak. Name the date. Not doing anything worthwhile now or in the near future.
    (Do I have to learn French?)
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 20:16
    I find that rugby is more like soccer or hockey than it is like football.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree