1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 17:29
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't think the JEts will trash talk the Steelers like they did the Pats.

The Jets and Pats have a long nasty history. From Parcells leaving NE to go to the Jets and Bellichik doing the reverse to Curtis Martin to Mangini to Spygate to 45-3 etc. etc. etc. People think of the Pats as having dominated the rivalry and I guess they have mostly in recent years ...[text shortened]... Jets in the off season this year.

The Jets and Steelers just don't have the same history.
    Lame! If you noticed I actually posted an anti-ban-trashtalk article. I prefer the trash talk to the opposite. I'd hate to see a league where teams loved each other! You're right about Jets and Steelers not having the same history. HOwever, indeed I am serious about trash talk totally evading big Ben's IQ. Better QB than Sanchez, but dumb as a rock! It will come down to the better D. Rankings seem to indicate Steelers are #2.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 02:42
    As opposed to Pitt, who won't be cocky at all if they win the SB. Right?

🙄

Come on, it's been over 40 years for the Jets. Don't begrudge us this one if we win it.
    I met Joe Namath a couple of times and talked to him for about an hour.
    He was quite an interesting guy (and he was sober at the time).

I lived a few blocks from Bob Talamini in Houston. I knew him very well.
    I always enjoyed seeing his Super Bowl ring.

I also met Don Maynard (native Texan) and George Sauer (UT) and both we nice guys.

I like that Jets team.

This Jets team has no one I like on the team.

Sorry, they can't win.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 02:55
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Are you saying time elapsed between championhsips makes a team more deserving? I will concede that Jets have as good a chance as any of the remaining four and this time the point spreads are reasonable. I still doubt they can do to Steelers what they did to Pats. No fake punts from Steelers coach. No cutesy play and doubtful Polamalu will come out and m ...[text shortened]... why we watch. Were it not for games like yesterday it would be boring as heck if dogs never won!
    Polamulu missed a few tackles last week including getting ran over by Rice on a TD run.

Personnel wise, the Steelers are superior practically everywhere. But the Jets have that look of a Team of Destiny. I don't put too much stock in the Jets regular season win; it was a nail biter and a game the Jets absolutely had to win.

I think it's a tossup; I guess for what it's worth I give the Steelers a slight edge - Big Ben remains a great big game QB and makes plays at the end of those type of games (like the long pass on 3rd and whatever that decided the game last week). But a Jet win wouldn't be a big surprise.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 03:31
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Polamulu missed a few tackles last week including getting ran over by Rice on a TD run.

Personnel wise, the Steelers are superior practically everywhere. But the Jets have that look of a Team of Destiny. I don't put too much stock in the Jets regular season win; it was a nail biter and a game the Jets absolutely had to win.

...[text shortened]... 3rd and whatever that decided the game last week). But a Jet win wouldn't be a big surprise.
    I don't think Ben is a better QB than Brady, but he is harder to confuse because he is doggedly fierce in getting the job done and seems to learn from his mistakes. I am sure he will not make the same errors as against the Ravens. It will really boil down, however, to the better D. They are ranked #2 and #3, respectively. I am sure Steelers can do to Mark Sanchez what Jets did to Brady. Also, Steelers are better at stopping the run. Indeed BIg Ben is a big game QB. We'll see. I don't see it nearly as close as the spread suggests.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 03:47

...[text shortened]... 3rd and whatever that decided the game last week). But a Jet win wouldn't be a big surprise.
    I don't see how you would say the Steelers are "superior practically everywhere." The Jets are much better at WR, O-Line and cornerbacks. On a neutral field, I think this would be a pick 'em. Home field makes Pitt a slight favorite but the game is still close to a toss up.

The Jets did not "have to" win that game. They probably would have made the playoffs even if they lost that game (well, definitely in retrospect; probably at the time) and they had little chance of catching the Pats anyway. The game could have been important to Pitt for the division (though of course they won it anyway).

The Jets were playing terribly coming in. That they managed to win anyway on the road bodes pretty well for them. I'm watching a replay of the game now on NFL Network. The Jets played well that game. I don't see why they can't beat this team. They actually match up well with Pitt. The Jets stifle the run pretty well and with Revis on Ward, I don't see who is going to run wild on the Jets' secondary.

I'm not saying it will be easy, but I give the Jets at least a 45% chance of winning this game.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 04:091 edit
    I don't see how you would say the Steelers are "superior practically everywhere." The Jets are much better at WR, O-Line and cornerbacks. On a neutral field, I think this would be a pick 'em. Home field makes Pitt a slight favorite but the game is still close to a toss up.

The Jets did not "have to" win that game. They probably would have made the playoffs e ing it will be easy, but I give the Jets at least a 45% chance of winning this game.
    There was an X factor missing in that game. Polamalu. Although he did not play well against the Ravens, I don't know him to have two bad games in a row. He is a one man wrecking crew. Steelers have a decent enough receiving corps, more than decent tight ends and can throw the underneath routes very well. They are tougher than the Patriots looked on Sunday and have the don't die attitude the Patriots seemed to have none of. Lastly, Heath Miller seems fully recovered from the nasty hit he took in week14 or so. That opens up short routes in the middle.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 15:47

The Jets did not "have to" win that game. They probably would have made the playoffs e ...[text shortened]... ing it will be easy, but I give the Jets at least a 45% chance of winning this game.
    I don't see how anybody can claim that the Jet WRs are "much better" than the Steelers'. Mike Wallace had more catches than any Jet receiver and more than 350 more yards than Braylon Edwards averaging 21.0 a reception. Hines Ward also had more catches than any Jet and is rightly considered one of best receivers in the biz; he's currently third among active players in receptions (and has a Super Bowl MVP trophy). Perhaps Cotchery has a 3rd receiver is better than Randle El or Emanuel Sanders or Antonio Brown, but overall I'd say the Steeler wide receiver group is better.

OL and cornerbacks a case can be made that the Jets are better, but I'm not sure "much better". Guess we'll see.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 16:011 edit
    I don't see how anybody can claim that the Jet WRs are "much better" than the Steelers'. Mike Wallace had more catches than any Jet receiver and more than 350 more yards than Braylon Edwards averaging 21.0 a reception. Hines Ward also had more catches than any Jet and is rightly considered one of best receivers in the biz; he's currently third among acti can be made that the Jets are better, but I'm not sure "much better". Guess we'll see.
    The Steelers' receivers have more catches and yards because they have a better QB throwing the ball to them and because the Jets offense is more run oriented and when they do throw, they like to mix in Tomlinson and Keller.

Ward has had a great career, but he's past his prime. Wallace is a good receiver. But I'll take Edwards and Holmes over Ward. Cotchery is the best 3rd receiver. Okay, maybe not "much" better, but I'll take the Jets' unit over-all.

I heard Chris Collinsworth this morning in an interview and, while he picked Pitt in the game, he said he thought the Jets were better man for man. Just as most of the people who picked Indy and NE against the Jets (justifiably, of course), he said that while the Jets may have more talent, the QB differential would be dispositive. It didn't turn out that way in the last 2 games; we'll see what happens this time.
  9. Standard memberScotty70
    Maddog1213
    Central Office
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 22:242 edits
    The Steelers' receivers have more catches and yards because they have a better QB throwing the ball to them and because the Jets offense is more run oriented and when they do throw, they like to mix in Tomlinson and Keller.

Ward has had a great career, but he's past his prime. Wallace is a good receiver. But I'll take Edwards and Holmes over Ward. Cotchery i ive. It didn't turn out that way in the last 2 games; we'll see what happens this time.
    I am comfident the Jets will win with the caveat that they keep Roethlisberger in the pocket. He is a much better passer on the run then when he is kept in the pocket and is not afraid to move out at will. We may have to keep a spy on him throughout the game and still manage to get some good pressure on him from the line, not to mention tackling him, which is a challenge by itself.
    Not too worried about Mendenhall as the Jets have proven they can stop the run.
    And one more thing, Revis must cover Wallace man to man throughout the game...no zone coverages for him.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 00:04
    Originally posted by Scotty70
    I am comfident the Jets will win with the caveat that they keep Roethlisberger in the pocket. He is a much better passer on the run then when he is kept in the pocket and is not afraid to move out at will. We may have to keep a spy on him throughout the game and still manage to get some good pressure on him from the line, not to mention tackling him, which ...[text shortened]... more thing, Revis must cover Wallace man to man throughout the game...no zone coverages for him.
    I think Big Ben would solve that riddle better than Brady. Few big game QB's can play the gm as well as Steeler's QB. Also, coming off a big comeback will have them really pumped up. Roethlisberger is also a good pocket passer. You don't get to his level as a scrambler alone!
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 00:18

Ward has had a great career, but he's past his prime. Wallace is a good receiver. But I'll take Edwards and Holmes over Ward. Cotchery i ...[text shortened]... ive. It didn't turn out that way in the last 2 games; we'll see what happens this time.
    The Jets actually threw 46 more passes than the Steelers. And for 4 games the Steeler wide receivers had Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon throwing to them.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 01:131 edit
    The Jets actually threw 46 more passes than the Steelers. And for 4 games the Steeler wide receivers had Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon throwing to them.
    Good point; though I'd still rather have Ben Roethlisberger throwing to me for 12 games than Mark Sanchez (at this point in his career) throwing to me for 16. Also, remember that Holmes missed 4 games with the suspension.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree