1. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 19:10
    I just think now is exactly the situation when Torre was most sucessful young nucleus of players emerging (this time it is Jaba, Cano, Cabrera, Hughes and Kennedy) and he is still popular with the verteans. I would have kept and continued the Yankee success. I feel 12 consecutive years of playoffs is termendous success (ask Mets fans if a high payroll means post season) especially when no one else has more than one year. I also think the Yankees lost because they got 8 hits in the first 20 innings -- hardly Torre's fault. I am not sure how a Hall of Fame career isn't good enough for some people but it is for me. Thanks Joe for all the contributions.
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 15:53
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    So, what's he going to do now? I'd like to see him take a pay-cut to help a struggling team. I'd love to see him get The Rays going... imaging Joe in the East competing against the Yanks and Sox.

What you say?!!

P-
    I've always wondered how much influence a manager actually has on the game. Most times when I watch a game the managers only decisions are when to take a pitcher out, when to pinch hit, when to steal, when to hit and run, and when to pitch out if a man is on 1st.

The rest of the time it's just fill out the line up card and let the guys play.

And I think those decisions the manager does make are almost always pretty obvious anyway. The TV announcer guys are almost always correct when they predict what the manager is going to do, so how hard can it be really when you've got great players like the Yanks do?
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 16:52
    Originally posted by uzless
    I've always wondered how much influence a manager actually has on the game. Most times when I watch a game the managers only decisions are when to take a pitcher out, when to pinch hit, when to steal, when to hit and run, and when to pitch out if a man is on 1st.

The rest of the time it's just fill out the line up card and let the guys play.

And I thin ...[text shortened]... is going to do, so how hard can it be really when you've got great players like the Yanks do?
    That's part of it, and who to take out and put in when... and how long. When a batter should swing away, or take... and he also sets the IDEA of how the team will play. He talks with the players and tells them what he expects.

He's also the guy you fire, rather than firing all the players.

There's a lot to it, much of it we don't even know. If anyone could do it, we wouldn't have all these coaches that do it much better than anyone else.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree