1. Diverse City
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 22:51
    What is it, do they use weapons? What ones? Cause Im going to try it out.
  2. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 23:18
    I think that the term Karate means empty hand. Pure Karate should not use a weapon? Try key word search "martial art(s)" and look for something about Karate.
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 00:09
    Without spending alot of time on Kenpo Karate all I found is that it seems to be a mixed style of karate. There seems to be no weapon use.
  4. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 00:13
    i think its called kempo...
    dont know who ken is 😕

the key to mixed martials arts is mixing a bunch of styles, instead of studying styles study UFC fighters... first look at some of the old ones that wernt well rounded (btw keith hackney does white tiger kempo karate) then check out some of the new age ones and base your stuff off from there...
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 00:16
    I don't know a lot about Kenpo, though I know it has some respect among martial artists. If I were doing karate, I'd go with Kyokushin karate because it's basically full contact.

As for weapons, I don't know how accurate this is, but here's the Kenpo Creed according to wiki:

"I come to you with only "KARATE" - empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons - "KARATE" - my empty hands."

(emphasis mine)
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 00:172 edits
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    dont know who ken is 😕

the key to mixed martials arts is mixing a bunch of styles, instead of studying styles study UFC fighters... first look at some of the old ones that wernt well rounded (btw keith hackney does white tiger kempo karate) then check out some of the new age ones and base your stuff off from there...
    I believe either spelling is okay.

I don't think our young friend is interested in effective barehanded fighting styles. In another thread, he shared with me that he is really interested in learning how to use weapons (exotic ones apparently). Otherwise I agree with you although I wouldn't say to emulate UFC fighters, or at least not directly.

Instead pick a good martial art like Brazilian jui-jitsu, judo, sambo, muy thai, kickboxing, boxing, or wrestling. Probably just start with one or two and get good at them (make sure you actually like the stuff). Another benefit of this is that it should give you enough self-defense skill to get out of common situations (drunk or aggressive jerk at a party, one or maybe two dudes pushing you around*). Anyway, as you get proficient in a couple areas begin expanding your skill set to round out your game. If you are a good grappler, work on striking. If you've been doing muy thai or karate, learn submission grappling.

The most important thing to remember though is that unless you are trying to become a professional mixed martial artist or a trained assassin you should just try to have fun. It's about challenging yourself, staying fit, and having a great time.

* - If you get jumped by a gang of bangers armed with pistols and switchblades, you're screwed. Your best self-defense is probably distance running and yodeling!
  7. Diverse City
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 00:36
    Originally posted by gambit3
    I think that the term Karate means empty hand. Pure Karate should not use a weapon? Try key word search "martial art(s)" and look for something about Karate.
    Yeah I know I called a place and they said they had weapons
  8. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 01:02
    i know i mentioned this in the last mma thing , but you should really check out kuk sul won, i think its what youre looking for...

http://www.kuksoolwon.com/
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 01:08
    dont know who ken is 😕

Hey, jvan, are you looking forward to this weekend's PPV? I think the card is pretty decent with the exception of the main event (but watching Jardine get KO'd should be entertaining). Of course, Forrest should get layed out too and watching Shogun in the cage will be a blast. Personally, I'm especially excited about Nak vs. Machida, but that's probably just the judoka in me, and Fitch vs. Dirty Sanchez should be a brawl.

Anyway, always good to find a fellow fan around these boards.
  10. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 02:03
    Martialartsites.com under kenpo states that they use punches, strikes, throws, kicks, staff, chain, sticks, knives, nunchuku, tonfa, and sai.
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 02:57
    Originally posted by gambit3
    Martialartsites.com under kenpo states that they use punches, strikes, throws, kicks, staff, chain, sticks, knives, nunchuku, tonfa, and sai.
    I'm not out to dog Kenpo, but it ain't got @*#* for throws.
  12. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 03:231 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    Hey, jvan, are you looking forward to this weekend's PPV? I think the card is pretty decent with the exception of the main event (but watching Jardine get KO'd should be entertaining). Of course, Forrest should get layed out too and watching Shogun in the cage will be a blast. Personally, I'm especially excited about Nak vs. Machida, but that's probably ...[text shortened]... anchez should be a brawl.

Anyway, always good to find a fellow fan around these boards.
    im not getting it, i dont even have cable 😞
    i try to not see so i can get it on dvd a while later... but i always finds out some way or another...

but i heard its liddell vs. jarspleen... 😀
    the only reason jardine gets credit is the ref stopped it late in the griffen fight...

who else is going? i gotta see if that website i saw football on has it, id like to be suprised for once and see it myself...

who are your favorites tel?
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 04:371 edit
    im not getting it, i dont even have cable 😞
    i try to not see so i can get it on dvd a while later... but i always finds out some way or another...

but i heard its liddell vs. jarspleen... 😀
    the only reason jardine gets credit is the ref stopped it late in the griffen fight...

who else is going? i gotta see if that website i saw football on has it, id like to be suprised for once and see it myself...

who are your favorites tel?
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

I haven't made my picks yet for the event, but I know some right now.

I have Chuck by knock out. Probably in the 2nd round, maybe 1st.
    I see Shogun beating on Forrest for 3 rounds, but only because Forrest has a lot of heart.

My other thoughts at this point . . .

Fitch vs. Sanchez: Should be a war. I'll have to give it more research to make a pick. Normally I'd pick Sanchez, but he had such a terrible showing against Koscheck. Then again he had a staph infection at the time too . . .
    KazNak vs. Machida: Machida is very good fighter, but he hasn't really fought top competition in his weight category. Nakamura is a very skilled judoka whose lackluster record can be attributed to his fighting top competition. I mean he's lost 6 matches. Twice to Big Nog (top 3 HW in the world) with one by decision. Once due to injury to Dan Henderson the former simultaneous LHW and MW champion of Pride. Once to Wanderlei Silva, a Pride superstar. Once to Josh Barnett, considered by many to be Fedor's top challenger. And once by decision to Shogun Rua, a serious Pride star. Now I am biased a bit toward grapplers, but preliminary research has me leaning toward KazNak.
    Thiago Tavares vs. Tyson Griffin: Thiago seems like the more complete fighter to me (maybe it's his early childhood judo 😉 ). Griffin seems like a hard-hitting wrestler (which isn't a bad thing). Early research has me leaning toward Thiago.

I'll have to do a lot more research to pick the other fights. Though I kinda like Omigawa of course (judoka), plus Wiman had trouble with Manny Gamburyan (another judoka) on TUF.
  14. Diverse City
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 13:36
    i know i mentioned this in the last mma thing , but you should really check out kuk sul won, i think its what youre looking for...

http://www.kuksoolwon.com/
    Its too far to drive to.
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    20 Sep '07 21:58
    Originally posted by Sargent Carpface
    Its too far to drive to.
    Whereever you end up going, keep us posted on your experience.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree