01 Feb '09 18:23
    For What?
  2. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 18:29
    Originally posted by ace121
    For What?
    I don't know. I'm a Liverpool supporter yet I respect Lampard and many Chelsea players, and I was completely shocked by the ref's decision. I feel really bad for Chelsea fans and for the team. That ref (Mike Riley) has got to go. He's been making bad decisions all season.

Nevertheless, I still believe that Liverpool deserved to win the game, but for me personally it was bittersweet.
  3. Santiago
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 18:44
    Fair post Hopscotch.
  4. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 18:58
    Bad call by Riley. His only defense would be that he was positioned straight behind Lampard when Lampard went sliding in, thus missing that Lampard got the ball.

Not defending the ref here. But, in real time without the benefit of replay, I can see how he got it wrong.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 19:24
    Riley makes a shocking refereeing decision and Gerrard dived. Nothing new under the sun. 😀
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 19:32
    Scolari admitted one of his players had committed a far worse foul, namely when Jose Bosingwa stuck his boot into the small of Yossi Benayoun's back as the Liverpool midfielder tried to run down the clock by the corner flag.

He said: "If the referee decided to send off Bosingwa I would have understood. A red card for this I would accept, but not Lampard's."

Thus, if Chelsea hadn't played with studs sticking up everywhere the result may have been different. They shouldn't have kept the ref so busy that he made an error with Frankly had-it Lampard.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 19:541 edit
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    Not defending the ref here. But, in real time without the benefit of replay, I can see how he got it wrong.
    Its a fair comment. So called experts get on the backs of referees far too much. I reckon that each expert should be made to call off-sides and free kicks as they happen.

It's ridiculous to call out officials when it's taken the expert 4 viewings on slow-mo to come up with a definitive answer.

I reckon the experts would get as many, if not more, wrong than the officials, so maybe it'd give people a sense of realism in their expectations of the ref.

I didn't see the second half today, but Liverpool played some good stuff in the first half.

D
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 20:03
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Its a fair comment. So called experts get on the backs of referees far too much. I reckon that each expert should be made to call off-sides and free kicks as they happen.

It's ridiculous to call out officials when it's taken the expert 4 viewings on slow-mo to come up with a definitive answer.

I reckon the experts would get as many, if not more, wro ...[text shortened]... dn't see the second half today, but Liverpool played some good stuff in the first half.

D
    That's true, but I don't think it fits this case. If the ref didn't see the move properly then he shouldn't have given a straight red. There's really no excuse.
  9. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 20:10
    Originally posted by Palynka
    That's true, but I don't think it fits this case. If the ref didn't see the move properly then he shouldn't have given a straight red. There's really no excuse.
    He shouldn't even have given a yellow for that. Many would argue that it wasn't even a foul at all.

I wonder if the FA will take any action against Bosingwa... that was a malicious case of assault. He should hire a lawyer. Maybe Gerrard knows a good one.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 20:15
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    He shouldn't even have given a yellow for that. Many would argue that it wasn't even a foul at all.

I wonder if the FA will take any action against Bosingwa... that was a malicious case of assault. He should hire a lawyer. Maybe Gerrard knows a good one.
    Sure, but a yellow could be just a bad call. Like Rag says, nobody's perfect. IMO dishing out a straight red requires (or should) a higher degree of certainty from the ref.

As for Bosingwa, he shouldn't have gotten away with it, but it wasn't "assault". He seemed to push the Pool player out with his foot, not really kick him. I could be wrong, though, I didn't catch the replay.
  11. LA
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 22:11
    Well there is a pattern.

When Liverpool played Manchester United, United had Vidic sent off.
    When Liverpool played Arsenal, Arsenal had Adebayor sent off.
    When Liverpool played Chelsea, Chelsea had Lampard sent off.

Liverpool are very lucky against top 4 sides and for some reasons there opponents best players sent off.
  12. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 23:51
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    Well there is a pattern.

Liverpool are very lucky against top 4 sides and for some reasons there opponents best players sent off.
    Well spotted! You have quite a knack for spotting patterns. I think you should go post your findings in Arrak's thread here, Thread 107535. There's definitely more than meets the eye!
  13. Santiago
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 03:50
    Ref and very close linesman didn`t spot the Chelsea player kicking his opponent in the back on purpose in the 90th minute. Straight red, three match ban. But totally ignored.
  14. where angels play
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 08:24
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    Well there is a pattern.

When Liverpool played Manchester united the sun came up in the morning.
    When Liverpool played Chelsea the sun came up in the morning.
    When Liverpool played Arsenal the sun came up in the morning.

I see a pattern developing here, Liverpool have the sun gods on their side, im off to the F.A. with this conspircy.

T**T
  15. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 10:13
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

D
    He didn't need a replay to see Bosingwa's studs being planted in Benayoun's back - the linesman had his flag up but Riley didn't even bother consulting him.

The Lampard tackle happened quickly but I thought Riley was going to punish Alonso as I'd seen clearly that Lampard had taken the ball.

Mike Riley is a terrible (chinless wonder) ref.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree