1. LA
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 09:08
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    .. you're squirming again.

Bottom line - You haven't won 18 championships. Yes, the FA Cup is worth more than the League Cup - but that doesn't mean that League Cups don't count if you want to use your analogy of the most succesful "English" side. Those cups were won in England just like the FA Cup. The reason you don't want to include them is because ...[text shortened]... LISH FOOTBALL'S MOST SUCCESSFUL TEAM BOTH DOMESTICALLY AND IN EUROPE.
    Nice reply Anrgy Boy.
    I agree with some of what you say, a nice balanced reply and i was a little drunk when I wrote that post, lol.

Bottom line - You haven't won 18 championships. Yes, the FA Cup is worth more than the League Cup - but that doesn't mean that League Cups don't count

Of course I'm jelous of your history, I will openly aknowledge this. Diccussions like this are part of the banter and fun of supporting football clubs with great rivalrys.

The reason I discount domestically everything except the League Title and FA Cup is obvious. The League cup is not taken seriously. The FA Cup and the League Title are.
    Look at the teams that have played this week in the league cup, it is good to win but it has no weight in calculating how great a club side is.
    I don't understand why you think 1 league cup win = 1 Fa Cup or 1 League title win.
    The league cup etc is good to win but has no real value when trying to quantify the history of a clubs sucess.
    You know this and because we have almost caught you up in FA Cup + Leagye titles , you hang on to meaningless League cup totals.

If you want to leave the obvious fact that we've won the European Cup 5 times to your 3 aside - then use the word "domestically". Still, as I've pointed out above, it doesn't matter anyway.

Liverpool are the most sucessful club domestically and in Europe, I have always agreed with this.

If United win the league one more time we are the most sucessful side domestically IMHO.
    You are still the most sucessful English side in Europe.
    Come on, please have the humility to aknowledge Uniteds sucess if we reach or pass your standards.

Unied never get any respect from Liverpool supporters for winning the treble for example, sad.

If the European Cup is harder to win now - how do you explain the fact that you can finish 4th in the premiership to qualify, finish second in your group to qualify for the knockout stages and then avoid the strongest sides (i.e. the other English ones) in the 1st round knockout?

Ok, here are 3 examples why its harder to win now

(1) To win in 1999 United played Munic 3 times, Barcelona 2 times, Inter 2 times, juventus 2 times, wow.........

(2) To win in 2008, United had to play Barcelona 2 times, Chelsea in the final (they wold not have been in the competition in the old European Cup) and Chelsea are the 2nd best team in Europe.
    Roma numerous times (the 2nd best side in Italy).

(3)You always have to play all the best teams in Europe to win the cup.
    In the old days you played much less games, like you say the best 4 teams in all the top countires are there to win it, that speaks for itself.

Torres has been injured, he was out for 2 weeks and barely trained before the Utd game. Yes, he hasn't looked great yet but to say he's suffering 2nd season syndrome in September is just wishful thinking on your part. Keane will come good (a bit like Berbatov)

You got me here.
    I think Torres is great but you need to structure your team a little around him to get the best from him.
    End of the day though, he is top class.

Vidic and Van der sar would be in my joke team of the season so far. Errors galore. Ferdinand's concentration has been found wandering around London on more than one occasion too. Your central midfield sounds great (and it is) but I said that they've not performed this season. They haven't.

Vidic has been injured and not match fit (LIKE TORRES), but he has proved he is world class over the last 2 seasons.
    Ferdinand is finally WC, he did have concentration problems but over the last 18 months he has much improved.
    VDS has spells when he plays bad for a while but overall he is a good asset for United.

Where did I say Gerrard was better than Ronaldo? BTW, he is. I'd have him at fullback, centre back, centre midfield (defensively or attacking) and as a second striker over Ronaldo. In fact, Ronaldo only shades it on the flanks and lone striker positions. Now, read those words carefully, before you try claiming that I've said Ronaldo's crap!

Above you say Gerrard is better than Ronaldo.
    The fact is that Ronaldo has been rated as best player in the Premiership 2 years running.
    Ronaldo scored in 1 season almost half the entire goals Gerrard has in 10 seasons.
    Ronaldo is almost certainly about to be crowned world player of the year.
    Ronaldo gets more assists then Gerrard.
    Ronaldo plays 3 positions right wing, left wing and 2nd striker, in all these positions he is better than Gerrard,
    He's a better set piece player than Gerrard.
    He's a better header of the ball than Gerrard.
    He's better Internationally than Gerrard.
    He has a better goals and assists per game ratio to Gerrard, domestically and in Europe.

PS - you're obviously looking forward to being able to call your team the "most successful (something or other) ever". I think we all realise why you have such a bee in your bonnet about Liverpool Football Club.

ENGLISH FOOTBALL'S MOST SUCCESSFUL TEAM BOTH DOMESTICALLY AND IN EUROPE.

Yes you are right.
    Right now all I can say is we are the biggest side in world football.
    And we are the only side to win the treble, but obviously you won't give us any credit for that.

Hopefully very soon I'll be able to say we are also the most sucessful English domestic side in football history.

Reason being almost every disucssion ends up with a final line from a Liverpool supported saying 18 times or 5 times.

Well get ready boys, you are soon going to lose the 18 times quote.
  2. LA
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 09:13
    Originally posted by Hells Caretaker
    You need to get out more,don't forget to take the blinker's off when you do!😞
    This is a Sports discussion forum.

If you don't want to discuss details then go out and get some fresh air.
  3. LA
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 15:312 edits
    Typical rant from a blinkered Man Yoo fan,😞..still playing catch up can Fergie better our Trophey tally before he retire's?........😴
    For 19 years can't you Liverpool supporters ask a different question for once?

Angry Boy I guess can at times be a little more constructive but this base, boring, typical, dumb ass question probably just about sums up your IQ level and objectivity.
    Why dont you go out more instead of spamming message boards with re-hashed old garbage.

Good god, Sir Alex has already won the Championship title more than Shankley and Paisley combined in a much much more competitive era.
  4. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 20:52
    My I.Q.?....🙄
  5. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 21:09
    Look R.O.a.B., let's both face it you are right in your own mind and so am I ? so we can agree to disagree on all footballing subject's regarding Man Yoo and The Pool.Dragging I.Q. levels into the 'Discussion' amount's to measureing penises,yeah....futile and on further reflection almost childish.
  6. LA
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 10:28
    Look R.O.a.B., let's both face it you are right in your own mind and so am I ? so we can agree to disagree on all footballing subject's regarding Man Yoo and The Pool.Dragging I.Q. levels into the 'Discussion' amount's to measureing penises,yeah....futile and on further reflection almost childish.
    Sure, no problem.

Its earl days and I look forward to discussing the season objectively with facts as it progresses over the coming months for better or worse for both our teams.
  7. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 23:34
    Rather an easy win for Liverpool today. On that performance Everton may be bottom 3 material, even Stoke put up a better game.
  8. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 14:13
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Rather an easy win for Liverpool today. On that performance Everton may be bottom 3 material, even Stoke put up a better game.
    Torres is up and running,fantastic 1st goal volley 2nd was a 2nd ball tap in.We were a little fortunate not to conceed the first goal though.The best game in my opinion was Hull City against the Arse.
    Mr Wenger none to pleased-which was nice viewing!!
  9. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 10:43
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    Torres suffering from a bad case of 2nd season syndrome
    Almost as funny as Spurs73's comment last year about him getting loaned out in January after scoring no more than 3 goals!
  10. LA
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 16:361 edit
    Almost as funny as Spurs73's comment last year about him getting loaned out in January after scoring no more than 3 goals!
    Six games without a goal.
    Poor body language on the pitch.
    Sluggish movement during games.

He's now scored twice against one of the worse teams in the Premier League right now but his body language was very bad before he scored and quite clearly he looked fed up about something before he scored againt Everton.

I'm sure he'll come good now after getting some confidence back because you don't score as many goals as he dis last season witout being a great player.

I know how its one of the unwritted rules of English football that Liverpool hero's are not allowed to be criticized but the guy was looking poor on the pitch.

Many players suffer from 2nd season syndrome after great 1st seasons, lets watch this space!
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 16:37
    Torres is simply a class act..a born goalscorer.
  12. LA
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 17:21
    Originally posted by Doyle78
    Torres is simply a class act..a born goalscorer.
    Yes I agree he's a great player, last season he was fantastic but I'm still not convinced he is a natural goal scorer like Owen, Fowler and Shearer were.

Last season was his best season by a long way.

Don't get me wrong, he is looking like a WC player but I want to see him do this for 3 or 4 seasons.

In Spain he never finished as the leagues top goal scorer.
    He had a reputation as a player that scores the difficult goals but often missed the easy ones.
    He also had a reputation that he doesn't perform when closely marked and under pressure.

Last season he was very consistend with Liverpool organizing their team around him as a lone striker.

He brought a different style of play to the Premier League.

Lets see how this seasons pans out playng alongside Keane and with the other teams now more farmiliar with his syle of play.
  13. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 17:36
    Yes I agree he's a great player, last season he was fantastic but I'm still not convinced he is a natural goal scorer like Owen, Fowler and Shearer were.

Last season was his best season by a long way.

Don't get me wrong, he is looking like a WC player but I want to see him do this for 3 or 4 seasons.

In Spain he never finished as the leag ...[text shortened]... ut playng alongside Keane and with the other teams now more farmiliar with his syle of play.
    Last season Torres only scored 3 away league goals and this season he has already scored 2 away goals in the league.
    Last season for the first 6 to 10 games he was missing goals from opportunities that a 2 yr old would score from.
    I reckon sod your 2nd season theory and watch Torres become the headliner every week as he keeps on scoring week on week league, cup & europe
  14. 6yd box
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 04:33
    [b]Six games without a goal.
    Poor body language on the pitch.
    Sluggish movement during games.
    Dont you mean barbatov in his Spurs days😵😵😵
  15. 6yd box
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 04:34
    i never said he would be "loaned out"!😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree