1. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    36332
    22 May '10 00:18
    http://www.london2012.com/news/2010/05/london-2012-mascots-launched-to-the-world.php

    Just what the heck are they meant to represent? I can't see anything that represents Britain, the Olympics or sport at at all! Is it just another crappy attempt at pretending to be modern and with the ultra-British "we mustn't offend anyone buy showing any trace of national identity"?

    The article says it's to appeal to children. How many kids watch the Olympics? Do they really imagine that a few blobs of metal will mean they get off the internet, put their Playstations and toys away and then sit avidly watching weeks of complex repetitive sporting events?
  2. 6yd box
    Joined
    24 Jun '07
    Moves
    5179
    22 May '10 01:04
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    [b]http://www.london2012.com/news/2010/05/london-2012-mascots-launched-to-the-world.php

    "we mustn't offend anyone buy showing any trace of national identity"?
    bit of an Urban myth that- keep seeing this statement all the time...seems to be something the right wing press and the likes of the BNP- keep peddling that statement out all the time without any real truth to it.

    As for the Mascots- yea agreed- pile of sheeeeet
  3. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    36332
    22 May '10 19:44
    Originally posted by spurs73
    bit of an Urban myth that- keep seeing this statement all the time...seems to be something the right wing press and the likes of the BNP- keep peddling that statement out all the time without any real truth to it.

    As for the Mascots- yea agreed- pile of sheeeeet
    Well for the record I'm not a BNP or UKIP supporter. I just can't understand why the designers picked such an abstract concept instead of an animal or image that represented Great Britain.

    Past Olympic mascots:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/gallery/2010/may/19/olympics-london-2012-mascots?picture=362828696

    Nearly all of them are a cultural representation of the country hosting the Olympics.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10264
    22 May '10 22:10
    who cares? no one remembers the mascot anyway...
  5. Subscriberdivegeester
    reality bites
    variable
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86743
    23 May '10 06:43
    It's because Great Britain has become a "multicultural" mis-mash lacking any sense of our own history and cultural identity driven by bland political correctness from the pinko lefties to the point of being embarrassed by our own flags.
  6. 6yd box
    Joined
    24 Jun '07
    Moves
    5179
    23 May '10 08:12
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Well for the record I'm not a BNP or UKIP supporter. I just can't understand why the designers picked such an abstract concept instead of an animal or image that represented Great Britain.

    Past Olympic mascots:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/gallery/2010/may/19/olympics-london-2012-mascots?picture=362828696

    Nearly all of them are a cultural representation of the country hosting the Olympics.
    the mascot should have been a Lion of some sort or a Bulldog or both
  7. 6yd box
    Joined
    24 Jun '07
    Moves
    5179
    23 May '10 08:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It's because Great Britain has become a "multicultural" mis-mash lacking any sense of our own history and cultural identity driven by bland political correctness from the pinko lefties to the point of being embarrassed by our own flags.
    again another myth.
    I have seen lots of cars with the St.George flag and the Union Flags on them here in london.

    As for your 'multicultural mis-mash' commets- what rubbish! You need to get out more mate...the world is a small place now. People of diffirent colour/ culture are everywhere and in every country...so every country is a 'mis-mash'.

    have u been out of the UK ..ever?
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    23 May '10 09:14
    Much ado about nothing, really.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    23 May '10 09:15
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    The article says it's to appeal to children. How many kids watch the Olympics? Do they really imagine that a few blobs of metal will mean they get off the internet, put their Playstations and toys away and then sit avidly watching weeks of complex repetitive sporting events?
    Why would an adult care about the mascot? They are mostly for children.
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    45179
    26 May '10 02:31
    I don't even remember what the mascot of the Vancouver Olympics was. Wasn't it some chattering beaver?
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    26 May '10 14:36
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I don't even remember what the mascot of the Vancouver Olympics was. Wasn't it some chattering beaver?
    A battered seal?
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    45179
    26 May '10 14:48
    Originally posted by Palynka
    A battered seal?
    Beer battered or bloody battered?
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    The Energizer
    where you want to be
    Joined
    28 Jan '07
    Moves
    66528
    26 May '10 20:27
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Well for the record I'm not a BNP or UKIP supporter. I just can't understand why the designers picked such an abstract concept instead of an animal or image that represented Great Britain.

    Past Olympic mascots:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/gallery/2010/may/19/olympics-london-2012-mascots?picture=362828696

    Nearly all of them are a cultural representation of the country hosting the Olympics.
    Perhaps the mascots should be a couple of Pint mugs. That is a fairly true representation....right??? 😉😛
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    45179
    26 May '10 20:35
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Perhaps the mascots should be a couple of Pint mugs. That is a fairly true representation....right??? 😉😛
    Pint glasses, maybe.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    27 May '10 08:51
    Maybe if they dress them in hoodies then there would be something British about them.
Back to Top