1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 17:03
    Deserves a lengthy suspension for his crap, does he not? I love his play on the field, but he is his own worst enemy. No room in football for biting! If EPL does not suspend him for rest of season they will only encourage him to keep on behaving like a total and complete jerk!
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 17:482 edits
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Deserves a lengthy suspension for his crap, does he not? I love his play on the field, but he is his own worst enemy. No room in football for biting! If EPL does not suspend him for rest of season they will only encourage him to keep on behaving like a total and complete jerk!
    I agree with the suspension.

But I would also like to know why it appears that what happens in a sporting context often appears to be above the law. If a police officer saw someone do this to an innocent bystander in the street, would we not expect him to take action?

This seems like a case of common assault to me.

Injuries

Although any injury that is more than 'transient or trifling' can be classified as actual bodily harm, the appropriate charge will be one of Common Assault where no injury or injuries which are not serious occur.

In determining the seriousness of injury, relevant factors may include, for example, the fact that there has been significant medical intervention and/or permanent effects have resulted. But there may be other factors which are also relevant and these will need to be carefully considered when deciding whether or not the injuries are serious.

It should be borne in mind that Parliament created the offence of Common Assault specifically to cater for those assault cases in which the injuries caused are not serious.

If the policeman knew it was the person's second offence, I think the officer might be facing a disciplinary hearing to explain why he wasn't arrested and charged.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 17:57
    Originally posted by Rank outsider

But I would also like to know why it appears that what happens in a sporting context often appears to be above the law. If a police officer saw someone do this to an innocent bystander in the street, would we not expect him to take action?

Injuries

Although ...[text shortened]... fically to cater for those assault cases in which the injuries caused are not serious.
    Excellent and valid point. Perhaps this will be the route to go to purge football, earth's most wonderful sport, of bad apples like Suarez or at least curbing their behaviors. I was thoroughly disgusted and even more so when he scored the equalizer. Count me as one ex-Suarez fan! To his credit Ivanovic maintained amazing composure despite being so assaulted. Perhaps the match result should be reviewed and overturned giving Chelsea the three points.
  4. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 20:10
    The problem is that LFC has a considerable amount of money invested in him. But I think they also need to take into account that he is dragging the club through the mud. The Suarez/Evra incident was handled atrociously and now this. As someone who is club independent but used to enjoy watching LFC in domestic and European competitions I now find it mildly amusing when they lose.
  5. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 21:52
    On MOTD they showed a previous biting incident. Too many top footballers with apparent mental issues.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 03:15
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    On MOTD they showed a previous biting incident. Too many top footballers with apparent mental issues.
    And we all thought Balotelli was bad! Suarez is a complete nut, a moron and indeed dragging a storied club's name through the mud! Why can't more players be like Lampard? NO issues on or off the field. Sad state of affairs for Liverpool.
  7. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 09:24
    no place for biting in football ban him for a year,, the mental issue is smoke screen from LFC to avoid a long ban.. tough luck - he needs to go.. end his season the start of next 6 months min
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 13:041 edit
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    no place for biting in football ban him for a year,, the mental issue is smoke screen from LFC to avoid a long ban.. tough luck - he needs to go.. end his season the start of next 6 months min
    he will never go, the Liverpool fans love him too much, so he bit a dude on the arm, its not such a big deal. No one expects soccer players to be saints.
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 13:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No one expects soccer players to be saints.
    I think you may be wrong in Southampton.
  10. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 14:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No one expects soccer players to be saints.
    No one expects them to eat the opposition either. When I used to play we'd make do with an orange at half time.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 14:13
    I think you may be wrong in Southampton.
    or St Johnstone 🙂
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 14:14
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    No one expects them to eat the opposition either. When I used to play we'd make do with an orange at half time.
    maybe he was hungry 😵
  13. In your face
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 16:22

[quote]Injuries

Although ...[text shortened]... fficer might be facing a disciplinary hearing to explain why he wasn't arrested and charged.
    The victim needs to press charges for an arrest to be made in these circumstances.
  14. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 22:54
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    with him already served a 8 game ban last season for racial abuse, the big debate is..,,,,, did he commit a worse offence by biting than calling someone names (evra of man u in case you did not know) liverpool should have sacked him. hes banned for 3 games with more to come. imagine if he did it to some one like roy kean (if he was still playing) he would need a lot of money on dentistry work i think
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 22:593 edits
    Originally posted by roma45
    with him already served a 8 game ban last season for racial abuse, the big debate is..,,,,, did he commit a worse offence by biting than calling someone names (evra of man u in case you did not know) liverpool should have sacked him. hes banned for 3 games with more to come. imagine if he did it to some one like roy kean (if he was still playing) he would need a lot of money on dentistry work i think
    Luis would kick, err i mean bite Keanos butt!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree