1. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 07:34
    A sad day in Australian cricket today with the retirement of Matthew Hayden.He will retire from test cricket as Australias best opening bat of all time.
    His record of 103 tests , 8625 runs at an average of 50.73 will go down as one of the greatest opening batsmen to ever play this game.

He also scored 380 runs( a record at the time) .

Long live Matty Hayden
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    13 Jan '09 12:42
    Yup. One of the most feared openers I've ever seen.
    You saw the big guy walking to the crease, swinging his bat around and you just know if you didn't get him before he score 30 odd you could be in for a hiding.

Is it just my imagination, or has he slipped out of form pretty quickly? It seems like just the other day he was still muscling balls to the boundary...
  3. Canberra, Australia
    Moves
    14 Jan '09 09:311 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Yup. One of the most feared openers I've ever seen.
    You saw the big guy walking to the crease, swinging his bat around and you just know if you didn't get him before he score 30 odd you could be in for a hiding.

Is it just my imagination, or has he slipped out of form pretty quickly? It seems like just the other day he was still muscling balls to the boundary...
    He injured his Achilles’ heel about a year ago, and since his return he has been struggling to notch scores. I'm really sad to see him go.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '09 13:05
    Originally posted by dyl
    He injured his Achilles’ heel about a year ago, and since his return he has been struggling to notch scores. I'm really sad to see him go.
    There's a fascinating Hayden-Wasn't-As-Good-As-Some-People-Reckon opinion piece at www.cricinfo.com, here in fact:
    http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/384173.html
    by interesting sourpuss Aussie cricket writer Christian Ryan

However, he gets battered and bruised by most of the 101 online comments made by his readers. Quite rightly so, I think.
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    14 Jan '09 16:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    There's a fascinating Hayden-Wasn't-As-Good-As-Some-People-Reckon opinion piece at www.cricinfo.com, here in fact:
    http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/384173.html
    by interesting sourpuss Aussie cricket writer Christian Ryan

However, he gets battered and bruised by most of the 101 online comments made by his readers. Quite rightly so, I think.
    No matter how 'stylish' your batting - with a 50+ average, you count as a great batsman in my book...
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '09 01:41
    Originally posted by Crowley
    No matter how 'stylish' your batting - with a 50+ average, you count as a great batsman in my book...
    There's a Peter Roebuck profile of the man on the same web site now. A good read.
  7. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '09 05:36
    Originally posted by dyl
    same here but at leats this will give the youngsters a chance.

Long Live Matty Hayden he will always be a fighting spirit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree