1. SubscriberScotty70
    Super IT/Telco man
    In a Rack and Stack
    Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    173566
    25 May '10 22:031 edit
    That's the best news I've heard all day. I'm going to stake out my tailgating spot WAY in advance....like tomorrow
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    25 May '10 23:02
    Originally posted by Scotty70
    That's the best news I've heard all day. I'm going to stake out my tailgating spot WAY in advance....like tomorrow
    Start saving up for that ticket tomorrow too.
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    53354
    26 May '10 12:26
    I think this starts to undue the greatest inequity in American sports -- that Super Bowl/ Bowl games had previously been played virtuallly unanimously in warm weather cities.
    Chicago, D.C. and other cold weather cities should get their turn too. If it actually snowed during the Superbowl, rating would go through the roof.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    5542
    26 May '10 14:352 edits
    What's the world coming to? First there's been that bowl game in Boise with the blue field -- and then starting this coming season, there's a new bowl game in New York (the Pinstripe Bowl) -- and now this.

    Not a palm tree in sight!! The audacity!!
  5. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Fort Lauderdale
    Joined
    17 Aug '06
    Moves
    119668
    26 May '10 14:42
    Originally posted by Scotty70
    That's the best news I've heard all day. I'm going to stake out my tailgating spot WAY in advance....like tomorrow
    Good for New Jersey! Go New Jersey Giants/Jets!
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    The Energizer
    where you want to be
    Joined
    28 Jan '07
    Moves
    66539
    26 May '10 20:241 edit
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    Good for New Jersey! Go New Jersey Giants/Jets!
    Sure, just what everyone wants to see....weather as the dominant force in the game.
    I will laugh my ass off if they have a driving blizzard that forces the cancellation of the game. This is a really stupid decision.
    The game should be played where the quality of play is not deterred by the elements. Besides, New Jersey is the armpit of the US.
  7. SubscriberScotty70
    Super IT/Telco man
    In a Rack and Stack
    Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    173566
    26 May '10 20:36
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Sure, just what everyone wants to see....weather as the dominant force in the game.
    I will laugh my ass off if they have a driving blizzard that forces the cancellation of the game. This is a really stupid decision.
    The game should be played where the quality of play is not deterred by the elements. Besides, New Jersey is the armpit of the US.
    Nah...Detroit is the armpit of the US. BTW...some of the best games ever played were in inclement weather.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    5542
    26 May '10 20:533 edits
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Sure, just what everyone wants to see....weather as the dominant force in the game.
    I will laugh my ass off if they have a driving blizzard that forces the cancellation of the game. This is a really stupid decision.
    The game should be played where the quality of play is not deterred by the elements. Besides, New Jersey is the armpit of the US.
    Weather is an inherent part of football. It's not like baseball where everyone runs for cover at the sight of a couple raindrops.

    And it seems like the most interesting football games are those that involve inclement weather. How will they handle those 40 mph winds, or subzero cold, or a soupy sea of mud, or the driving snow, or a blinding fog? This is where the truly great coaches and truly great players get to show their ability to adapt their games to deal with such adversity.

    One of my all-time favorite games was that New England-Oakland "tuck rule" game where Vinatieri had to kick the tying and winning FGs through heavy snowfall. It helped make him into a legend. It helped make that game a legend. It's definitely what I want to see.

    As for NJ being the armpit of America. It only applies to what you can see while you're on the Turnpike. And that Xanadu thing they're building in the Meadowlands.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    53354
    27 May '10 13:50
    The idea that football players aren't able to battle the elements is a joke. They do it all the time in conference championship games, they did it in the Ice Bowl and some of the most memorable games ever played.
    If it ever would actually snow during a Super Bowl, ratings would reach record levels. I am confident that this will be the first of many outdoor superbowls in cold weather cities.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    27 May '10 15:422 edits
    Real inclement weather is still unlikely. New Jersey is not Buffalo. You still have probably an 80-90% chance of clear weather. Real snowstorms happen maybe an average of 5-7 times per year in the area spread over a roughly 100 day period. The odds of a real snowstorm during the Super Bowl are slim.

    In warm weather cities, you can still have rain storms, which are at least as bad as snowstorms for quality of football.

    Really, really cold weather, such as GB during the NFC Title game a couple of years back, is also exceedingly unlikely.

    In all likelihood, it will be about 35 degrees and clear at game time. Excellent football weather. I don't get what the big fuss over the weather is about.
  11. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Joined
    02 Sep '04
    Moves
    174290
    27 May '10 17:45
    I'm hoping for a lopsided match-up that heavily favors one team (in terms of weather), ie Green Bay vs San Diego or Miami, that will show how terrible this idea was so they'll go back to Tampa or something.
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    53354
    27 May '10 18:02
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    I'm hoping for a lopsided match-up that heavily favors one team (in terms of weather), ie Green Bay vs San Diego or Miami, that will show how terrible this idea was so they'll go back to Tampa or something.
    How is it unfair for Green Bay to get to play San Diego in cold weather but fair for them to play in warm weather? Football (both pro and college) are continually unfair by refusing to allow northen and cold weather teams to play the biggest game in their elements and in their geography. This is a huge step towards eliminating a huge geographic/ climate bias.
  13. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Joined
    02 Sep '04
    Moves
    174290
    27 May '10 18:36
    Originally posted by quackquack
    How is it unfair for Green Bay to get to play San Diego in cold weather but fair for them to play in warm weather? Football (both pro and college) are continually unfair by refusing to allow northen and cold weather teams to play the biggest game in their elements and in their geography. This is a huge step towards eliminating a huge geographic/ climate bias.
    Because Green Bay plays football in hot weather, too. It gets pretty hot here in the summer during the camps, and the first month of the season is generally pretty warm. When San Diego plays in the snow, that's a 40+ degree temperature difference that they can't really prepare for. I'd rather them play in domes so they can eliminate the weather all together, and have games won or lost based on the skill of the teams.

    I guess it's unfair either way, but what is worse? Miami having to play in 20 degree weather, or Buffalo playing in 70?
  14. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    53354
    27 May '10 21:28
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Because Green Bay plays football in hot weather, too. It gets pretty hot here in the summer during the camps, and the first month of the season is generally pretty warm. When San Diego plays in the snow, that's a 40+ degree temperature difference that they can't really prepare for. I'd rather them play in domes so they can eliminate the weather all toge ...[text shortened]... way, but what is worse? Miami having to play in 20 degree weather, or Buffalo playing in 70?
    I don't see why anyone thinks domes are better. They aren't in baseball (Minnesota and Houston got rid of theirs).
    If you are picking a location for a marquee event, it seems like the nation's biggest media market is just a no-brainer.
Back to Top