1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 04:43
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Series tied 2-2! Get your tix, air and game for tonight! Tigers are going down! Verlander not nearly as good on the road as at home. Prince Fielder will attack ground balls gingerly after last night's costly error! I really don't think it's anyone's game tonite. Pressure's on them striped cats! Tigers have got to be in shock after even fleetingly thinking ALCS! Never count your chickens before they hatch!
    Verlander more than good enough on the road. Great performance. Tigers on to the ALCS!
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 10:35
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Well, the Nats take care of business today and force a game 5 tomorrow on a walk off
    HR by Jayson Werth on the 14th pitch of the AB...reminiscent of the Jay Bruce AB in the
    SF-Cin game earlier (except Bruce popped out to left).

All 4 series go 5 games. Pretty good stuff!!
    Well Tigers indeed took care of business as did the Giants. A's ran into a buzz saw in Verlander. Hats off to the teams with aces who deliver! Excellent post-season indeed!
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 12:52
    Well Tigers indeed took care of business as did the Giants. A's ran into a buzz saw in Verlander. Hats off to the teams with aces who deliver! Excellent post-season indeed!
    Yes sir. Two correct and the other two will complete tonight.
    Should be interesting and fun!!
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 14:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    Makes you wonder if it is all fixed $$$$$. 😛
    Maybe for the owners. But the players get a set amount for each series.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 15:08
    Yes sir. Two correct and the other two will complete tonight.
    Should be interesting and fun!!
    Well, 3 out of 4 right. Too bad the Nats lost it in the 9th, but I do believe the Cardinals,
    my preseason pick to win the division, might just be a team of destiny.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 15:57
    Well, 3 out of 4 right. Too bad the Nats lost it in the 9th, but I do believe the Cardinals,
    my preseason pick to win the division, might just be a team of destiny.
    I'm 50-50! Cincy would have won had they not lost Cueto! Indeed Cards may be team of destiny, but Yankees are looking pretty darn good as well! I am picking Cardinals and Yankees for the NLCS and ALCS! Tigers will run out of luck!
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 23:07
    I'm 50-50! Cincy would have won had they not lost Cueto! Indeed Cards may be team of destiny, but Yankees are looking pretty darn good as well! I am picking Cardinals and Yankees for the NLCS and ALCS! Tigers will run out of luck!
    Now, you can't say that with any certainty.

If you use that logic, the Nats would have won if they had pitched Strasburg.
    Hell, they might have won the whole enchilada!!!
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 23:44
    Now, you can't say that with any certainty.

If you use that logic, the Nats would have won if they had pitched Strasburg.
    Hell, they might have won the whole enchilada!!!
    That continues to baffle me. I say they deserved to lose.
  9. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 06:50
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Tigers won the ALCS game 1 in 12!!! Way to go (after flubbing it up in the 9th) against the evil empire! 🙂
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 15:38
    If you are referring to shutting Strasburg down, well I think it showed a lot of guts to
    do it and not waver. I think the Nats are playing for the long haul and they have a ton
    of money invested in this arm.

That being said, you don't get to the playoffs ever year, and the thought is you grab at
    it when it is there.

The Nats are a young club and figure to get better. I do think they will get a few more
    shots at it. Hopefully Dave Johnson will continue to manage a few more years. I think
    he has a calming influence on them. We shall see.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 01:01
    If you are referring to shutting Strasburg down, well I think it showed a lot of guts to
    do it and not waver. I think the Nats are playing for the long haul and they have a ton

That being said, you don't get to the playoffs ever year, and the thought is you grab at
    it when it is there.

The Nats are a young club a ...[text shortened]... continue to manage a few more years. I think
    I would much rather have Johnson that Dusty. However, both clubs are a small market club. As a result, you must "get lucky" to have a good run to the post season. In addition, the people who got you to the post season often have their salaries go up, so you must win quickly or start paying higher in salary.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 02:522 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    I would much rather have Johnson that Dusty. However, both clubs are a small market club. As a result, you must "get lucky" to have a good run to the post season. In addition, the people who got you to the post season often have their salaries go up, so you must win quickly or start paying higher in salary.
    Then Washington got lucky more times than any other team in the National League
    because they had the most wins. More than the Mets, Dodgers, Phillies, Braves,
    Giants & Reds.

Fail to see your point.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 15:48

it when it is there.

The Nats are a young club a ...[text shortened]... continue to manage a few more years. I think
    Montreal/Washington has been around since 1969 and this is only their second trip to the postseason. You get players like Strasburg for no other reason than get you there. If they wanted to shut him down for the regular season, then fine. They had enough of a lead. But to have him not pitch in the postseason as well boggles the mind. There's no guarantee they'll get there again anytime soon. It looks to me more like inflexible obstinance than guts.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 17:581 edit
    Montreal/Washington has been around since 1969 and this is only their second trip to the postseason. You get players like Strasburg for no other reason than get you there. If they wanted to shut him down for the regular season, then fine. They had enough of a lead. But to have him not pitch in the postseason as well boggles the mind. There's no guarantee they'll get there again anytime soon. It looks to me more like inflexible obstinance than guts.
    Well, I was a pitcher and when they shut you down for three weeks, and I mean the complete
    shut down that they did, it is not that easy to get back up to speed over night.
    He would have had to have been maintaining his throwing during the time he was
    supposed to be shut down. Their lead was such that they knew what the possibilities
    were, Strasburg didn't like it, but they did it for his own good. I am not sure I would
    have had the guts to do it if I had been in their shoes, but I commend them for sticking
    to it.

You are correct, and as I pointed out before, you are not guaranteed of getting there
    again, so it is tough to pass on a potential shot at the brass ring.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 11:28
    Verlander more than good enough on the road. Great performance. Tigers on to the ALCS!
    And Verlander continues being brilliant as ever! Perhaps Tigers are the team of destiny. I don't know who could beat them right now, but two NLCS teams left are mighty tough. None of them has a Verlander, except perhaps Matt Cain, but he's not been great lately.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree