1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 20:38
    Here are this years results in terms of payroll payed verses winning records in MLB.

I took the top 15 teams and the bottom 15 teams in terms of payroll, and compared how their payroll correlates to wins over the year. Basically, I check to see if their record is above 500 or below and check and see if they are in the top 15 in payroll or the bottom 15 in payroll.

It appears that in the top 15 in payroll those with winning records is 65% and those with losing records is only 35%

Teams with the bottom 15 in payroll we see that only 35% of the teams had winning records and 65% of the teams in the bottom 15 in payroll had losing records.

Of those remaining in the playoffs, all the teams are in the top 15 in payroll.

Yankees are 1rst with $197,962,284

Tigers are 5th with $132,300,000 (the only time Rwingett loves capitalist pigs)

Giants are 8th with $117,620,683

Cardinals are 9th with $110,300,862
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 20:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    Here are this years results in terms of payroll payed verses winning records in MLB.

I took the top 15 teams and the bottom 15 teams in terms of payroll, and compared how their payroll correlates to wins over the year. Basically, I check to see if their record is above 500 or below and check and see if they are in the top 15 in payroll or the bottom 15 in ...[text shortened]... oves capitalist pigs)

Geez man, will you give it a rest?

Your theory was blown based on who made the playoffs in the first place.
    All 4 division series' went to 5 games.
    Two of those game 5's were decided in the 9th.
    The teams that advanced did not do so because of their payroll.
    Look at the Cardinals, Descalso and Kozma both make near the minimums, yet they
    were the heroes of the game.

In the case of the Yankees, their biggest payroll drain, ARod hasn't hit squat.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 00:48
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Geez man, will you give it a rest?

Your theory was blown based on who made the playoffs in the first place.
    All 4 division series' went to 5 games.
    Two of those game 5's were decided in the 9th.
    The teams that advanced did not do so because of their payroll.
    Look at the Cardinals, Descalso and Kozma both make near the minimums, yet they
    were the ...[text shortened]... the game.

In the case of the Yankees, their biggest payroll drain, ARod hasn't hit squat.
    But the Cardinals and Yankees are ALWAYS there for the most part. All I'm arguing is that you can help buy a play off chance. There is no gaurantee of doing it but the statistics don't lie. The teams that pay the most money win the most games on average.

As for success in the playoffs, clubs like the Cardinals and Yankees have an added advantage. They know exactly what it takes and what to do in order to advance because they are familiar with being there.

And no, I won't ever give it a rest. The system is broken.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 03:02
    But the Cardinals and Yankees are ALWAYS there for the most part. All I'm arguing is that you can help buy a play off chance. There is no gaurantee of doing it but the statistics don't lie. The teams that pay the most money win the most games on average.

As for success in the playoffs, clubs like the Cardinals and Yankees have an added advantage. The ...[text shortened]... are familiar with being there.

And no, I won't ever give it a rest. The system is broken.
    The Phillies were there 4 years in a row. The Cardinals have been for, what 3 years?
    Guess they should break up the Reds now because they have done well two years in
    a row??

The Dodgers have a huge payroll and haven't been in a good while.
  5. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 06:341 edit

I took the top 15 teams and the bottom 15 teams in terms of payroll, and compared how their payroll correlates to wins over the year. Basically, I check to see if their record is above 500 or below and check and see if they are in the top 15 in payroll or the bottom 15 in ...[text shortened]... oves capitalist pigs)

Is this sour grapes because your Reds blew the big one at home in the playoffs? I think the team that is hottest, wants it most succeeds like the Cards and the Giants.

The Marlins, perennial low wage team, have won the world series twice in the last 15 years. Of course, they doubled their payroll this year and stunk up the joint.

Watch as Los Janquis (the evil empire) blow it too!
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 12:30
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    Is this sour grapes because your Reds blew the big one at home in the playoffs? I think the team that is hottest, wants it most succeeds like the Cards and the Giants.

The Marlins, perennial low wage team, have won the world series twice in the last 15 years. Of course, they doubled their payroll this year and stunk up the joint.

Watch as Los Janquis (the evil empire) blow it too!
    I've been harping about this long before the Reds made the playoffs.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 12:33
    The Phillies were there 4 years in a row. The Cardinals have been for, what 3 years?
    Guess they should break up the Reds now because they have done well two years in
    a row??

The Dodgers have a huge payroll and haven't been in a good while.
    First of all, the Reds have not been there two years in a row. Secondly, I'm only accounting for winning records in relation to salary. The Dodgers have both a high salary and winning record this year. That put them in the position of maybe advancing to the post season, however, it did not work out.

As I have said, you can pretty much buy a winning record but not necessarily a post season.
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 13:57
    First of all, the Reds have not been there two years in a row. Secondly, I'm only accounting for winning records in relation to salary. The Dodgers have both a high salary and winning record this year. That put them in the position of maybe advancing to the post season, however, it did not work out.

As I have said, you can pretty much buy a winning record but not necessarily a post season.
    And my point is, what good is a winning record if you don't make the playoffs?
    Teams that win tend to put more butts in the seats. That translates in better revenue
    from advertising.
    This is nothing different than any business.
    But there are no rewards for "almost made the playoffs"
    There are no rewards for "we had a winning record".
    Your argument fails to produce any validity in what you are attempting to prove.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 03:48
    And my point is, what good is a winning record if you don't make the playoffs?
    Teams that win tend to put more butts in the seats. That translates in better revenue
    from advertising.
    This is nothing different than any business.
    But there are no rewards for "almost made the playoffs"
    There are no rewards for "we had a winning record".
    Your argument fails to produce any validity in what you are attempting to prove.
    No, you position yourself to have a chance to get into the playoffs.

There is no predicting when a team will peak or if they will peak. In addition, injuries are an unknown
  10. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 05:18
    It is quite RICH watching the evil empire go down.. "Best team money can buy!" I doubt they'll be able to sweep the rest of their games against Detroit! 😀
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 03:47
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    It is quite RICH watching the evil empire go down.. "Best team money can buy!" I doubt they'll be able to sweep the rest of their games against Detroit! 😀
    The Yankees are there every year poised to go to the World Series.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 03:49
    The Yankees are there every year poised to go to the World Series.
    They pay a fortune for that poise, but it seldom manifests into a world series championship.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 04:09
    They pay a fortune for that poise, but it seldom manifests into a world series championship.
    Seldom? Some teams have never even been to a world series. LOL
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 05:06
    Seldom? Some teams have never even been to a world series. LOL
    There are very few that haven't been to world series.
    You could count them on one hand
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 13:59
    There are very few that haven't been to world series.
    You could count them on one hand
    With three fingers left over. Nats and Mariners I believe.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree