1. Standard memberRookRAK
    Out of drinks
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 17:53
    OK, I know nobody cares about NCAA Women's basketball (including me). But I saw this score yesterday:

In the Mountain West conference playoffs Colorado State upset Utah.

Utah has gone 16-0 in conference play. Colorado State has gone 0-16.

How is this even possible?
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 18:04
    Originally posted by RookRAK
    OK, I know nobody cares about NCAA Women's basketball (including me). But I saw this score yesterday:

In the Mountain West conference playoffs Colorado State upset Utah.

Utah has gone 16-0 in conference play. Colorado State has gone 0-16.

How is this even possible?
    The same way David beat Goliath, that Ali beat Foreman in Manila, that NC State beat Houston in 84, and that the Mets won the World Series in 1969. It is done with smoke and mirrors and heart and guts (and a little luck mixed in to boot).
  3. 6yd box
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 19:24
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    The same way David beat Goliath, that Ali beat Foreman in Manila, that NC State beat Houston in 84, and that the Mets won the World Series in 1969. It is done with smoke and mirrors and heart and guts (and a little luck mixed in to boot).
    ....it could also be done to certain ppl beating on certian results😉

NO...NO...NO.... SPORT ..its a funny old thing
  4. Berks.
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 20:22
    What is the point in a regular season when a side with a 100% losing record can make the playoffs?
  5. Standard memberRookRAK
    Out of drinks
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 20:37
    Originally posted by Peakite
    What is the point in a regular season when a side with a 100% losing record can make the playoffs?
    That's fairly typical in NCAA basketball - both men and women. Essentially the regular season just seeds team for conference championship.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 22:31
    There is absolutely no point. It actually makes the whole season into an exhibition season
  7. Standard memberRookRAK
    Out of drinks
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 22:54
    Originally posted by jofaz
    There is absolutely no point. It actually makes the whole season into an exhibition season
    I disagree.

Since college sports are really about giving students an opportunity to compete at a high level, and very, very few college athletes (in only a couple of sports) have any chance to play professionally after college, I think letting all teams play in the conference tournament makes perfect sense. It extends the season for everyone.

It would only have no point if the reason for having the sport/season was to crown a champion.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 18:23
    Originally posted by RookRAK
    I disagree.

Since college sports are really about giving students an opportunity to compete at a high level, and very, very few college athletes (in only a couple of sports) have any chance to play professionally after college, I think letting all teams play in the conference tournament makes perfect sense. It extends the season for everyone.

It would only have no point if the reason for having the sport/season was to crown a champion.
    I think to call the college basketball regular season anything but an exhibition is just inaccurate. The proof of how pathetic college basketball is this game: the team that won all 16 league games had to play the team that lost all 16 league games. That game was the ONLY game that mattered for automatic bid purposes. It is a pathetic joke.
  9. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 01:47
    Essentially the same thing can happen in Indiana high school athletics. Every single football and basketball team makes the playoffs regardless of how they did in the regular season. You could potentially have a state champion, however unlikely, that had a 4-11 season in football and a 4-22 season in basketball.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 17:16
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    Essentially the same thing can happen in Indiana high school athletics. Every single football and basketball team makes the playoffs regardless of how they did in the regular season. You could potentially have a state champion, however unlikely, that had a 4-11 season in football and a 4-22 season in basketball.
    Just shows that Indiana athletics has a stupid system too

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree