1. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 18:27
    The NL did not adopt the DH because they did not want to have to add a higher priced player on their roster. I always feel that the AL is at a disadvadvantage because the NL can spend their money on 9 starters instead of 10. Then, in NL parks, their have to play games without their normal lineup (the Red Sox play without Ortiz or weaken their defense and play without another starter). Furthermore, AL pitchers never hit or bunt or even having batting practice
  2. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 20:07
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    I like making the pitchers hit. Maybe they aren't the best with the bat, but it often keeps small-ball alive at the bottom of the order if they're any good at bunting. Some pitchers actually enjoy swinging, and I always liked watching the Atlanta Braves pitchers Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine (who had a challenge among themselves as who was the best batter) go to the plate and work to get on base.

I like bunts and knuckleballs.

IRNG 40
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee wasn't too bad with a bat was he? Seems like he did fairly well.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 04:52
    There is no reason to think the NL will adopt the DH than the notion that major league umpires will become uniform in how the games are called. In the AL the umpire positions himself directly behind the catcher with his head centered above the catcher. This allows him a clear view of the upper end of the strike zone, but it blocks their view on the low part of the zone. This is why the Al is known as a "high ball" league. In the NL, the umpire positions himself to the inside portion of the plate relative to the hitter, slightly offset behind the catcher, with his head beside the catcher's head. This allows him a clear view of the inside strike zone, but it hampers his view of the outside portion of the plate. He also has a much clearer view of the low strike, but has difficulty with the true upper strike zone. This is why the NL is known as a "low ball" league. The AL produces more home runs because the pitches are more up in the strike zone. The NL tends to produce more pulled home runs because the pitchers do not get the outside corner strikes and are forced to come more over the plate and inside which allows the hitter to turn on the ball. The DH was added to spice up the offense, but the umpires positioning, the lowering of the pitchers mounds, the use of body armour by hitters, the shrinking of the strike zone from the arm pits to the letters (which is basically just above the waist in reality), the diminishing level of quality pitchers available to play, and the use of juiced up baseballs has also caused the scoring to climb on average.

I, for one, hope they abolish the DH, get the umpires to conform to the NL style of strike zone, and disallow the use of body armour by hitters who are basically allowed to hang over the plate without paying the consequences for their actions. Hitters wear the stuff without being hurt 99% of the time. The strike zone should expanded back to the arm pits to the bottom of the kneecap and from outside edge to opposite edge of the plate. Well pitched, low scoring games that can be completed in 2 hours 15 minutes instead of the average 3 hour plus that we experience now could become the norm instead of the rarity. The pitchers should also take back the plate. Pitchers need to be allowed to drill a hitter who intentionally hangs over the plate or dives over it while swinging, without any repercussions from the umpires. If a hitter charges the mound, he should be suspended without pay for a month, unless the pitch is thrown at his head. The hitters have been allowed to become prima donnas and they are fearless up there and the pitchers have become defenseless. Bring back the pitching style of Don Drysdale, Sal Maglie and Bob Gibson. While I do not advocate head hunting per se, I think too much has been taken away from the pitchers in order to make the game more highly scoring. Hell, nowadays, a 3.50 is considered a good ERA. The game is way too soft. Let's hope the purists can restore the game back to what it was and rescue it from what it has become.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree