1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 02:262 edits
    Golf and Rugby Sevens

Rugby I can understand, as sevens is quick, fun and has a lot of spectator appeal.
    The sport has also grown massively over the last few years and teams from all the continents do well competing in it, which gave its bid a huge push.

Golf has merely been included for economic reasons (Read: BIG sponsors) and this irritates me no end, as squash should really have gotten the second slot.

Sure, times are tough and hosting the Olympics must be a huge financial undertaking, but I just can't get behind golf in the Olympics, as the decision was not made in the 'Olympian spirit' the IOC always flaunts.
    Also, little 14 year old girls can twirl streamers around and get a Olympic medal, all the while the squash
    players around the world can't. It's just plain wrong.

My reasons golf shouldn't be in:

1. Golf is played all over the world, but is probably the most expensive sport to practice at in the Olympics, getting in the way of billions of people having access to the game.

2. The long period a golf tournament is played over outdoors, means one player could face horrendous conditions, while another player can be lucky and have much better conditions. Think 1st pair tee-off in beautiful sunshine, while the last pair may have bad winds and even rain, which also changes the way greens, fairways and bunkers play.

3. Golf is a massive professional sport, with many major competitions and big money. The sport doesn't need Olympic exposure like some other sports, like squash.

4. John Daly
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 11:46
    20/20 Cricket
    Kabbadhi
    British Bulldogs
    Lacross
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 13:09
    Bleh. What's next? F-1 racing in the Olympics?

I support, though, the inclusion of:

1. Jump-Rope Rhymes
    2. Clapping Rhymes
    3. Hide and Seek
    4. Marbles

In that order.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 13:53
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Golf and Rugby Sevens

Rugby I can understand, as sevens is quick, fun and has a lot of spectator appeal.
    The sport has also grown massively over the last few years and teams from all the continents do well competing in it, which gave its bid a huge push.

Golf has merely been included for economic reasons (Read: BIG sponsors) and this irritates ...[text shortened]... sport doesn't need Olympic exposure like some other sports, like squash.

4. John Daly
    Isn't it being massive the main reason to include it?

I think the main drawback is the cost of having a golf course and possibly limiting the places where the Olympics can take place.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 14:06
    I think to be an Olympic sport it should be played all over the world and people should think winning the gold is the ultimate in the sport. In baseball, I would much rather my team win the world series than the olympics and soccer fans would rather win the World Cup. As such I would not include them in the Olympics. Womens soccer and womens softball (which is removed by the Olympic Committee is joke)would be better Olympic Sport. Golf is played all over the world if the best golfers in the world be in top shape (not treat it like an exhibition event) and show up top compete then i'd include it.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 17:40
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Bleh. What's next? F-1 racing in the Olympics?

I support, though, the inclusion of:

1. Jump-Rope Rhymes
    2. Clapping Rhymes
    3. Hide and Seek
    4. Marbles

In that order.
    thumbs up to all of these. especially hide and seek.

seriously though, sevens is a great addition and i would like to see 20/20 also in the olympics some day. golf? bit like tennis isn't it? will be really nice for whomever wins it but won't be any of the top players first priority of the season.

re weather conditions...that's just golf. 4 day event with the first and second days tee off time swapped you would hope no one get to much of an advantage. every major city has a golf course close to it so it won't cost a lot to stage. give the little people from the little golfing nations like canada a chance to compete with the top players (the olympic dream and all that) win, win for the ioc.
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 17:45
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Isn't it being massive the main reason to include it?

I think the main drawback is the cost of having a golf course and possibly limiting the places where the Olympics can take place.
    Sure, golf is huge and that counted in its favour, but it will piss me off (I wanted squash in), if the Olympics come around and none of the top golfers come to compete because they just couldn't care less. And this may happen.

Whereas with the likes of squash we would have seen the top players there every four years...
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 17:47
    Originally posted by trev33
    give the little people from the little golfing nations like canada a chance to compete with the top players (the olympic dream and all that)
    Eh? Mike Weir?
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 18:24
    Eh? Mike Weir?
    lol i was taking the piss

seriously though, you would think canada would have more than just weir. (awaits for list of names in the top 250 that i've never heard of)
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 18:27
    Originally posted by trev33
    seriously though, you would think canada would have more than just weir?
    Why?

I think the only other Canadian in the top 100 is Stephen Ames.
  11. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 19:00
    hopscotch!
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 19:31
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Why?

I think the only other Canadian in the top 100 is Stephen Ames.
    maybe golf isn't played as much in canada as i thought.

you guys don't take time out from building your igloos to hit a few balls?
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 19:58
    Golf and Rugby Sevens

Golf has merely been included for economic reasons (Read: BIG sponsors) and this irritates ...[text shortened]... sport doesn't need Olympic exposure like some other sports, like squash.

4. John Daly
    If they had dog fights Mike Vick would enter his dogs.
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 06:20
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    If they had dog fights Mike Vick would enter his dogs.
    Hmm. You got your sense of humour from the bible, didn't you?
  15. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 07:13
    Wow, I thought this thread was tongue in cheek.

Crowley, be honest: do you really, really, really, really care about (or watch at all) the Olympics?

If so, kudos to you. Man, they're sooooo 1980s.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree