1. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 19:22
    Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
    Elway is better than Marino for the simple fact that he WON championships, Marino didn't! And it looks like Drew Brees has a shot at shattering Marino's record for single season pass yards!
    Elway was never able to win the big game until he got something that Marino never had; a running game.

Marino also played on teams that had horrible defenses.
  2. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 19:35
    Johnny Unitas. Then Joe Montana.
  3. Under Cover
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 06:55
    Peyton Manning is destined to go down in the history books with Dan Marino as the two greatest quarterbacks to never win a championship. This is a prestigious honor that John Elway narrowly avoided in his last two seasons.

But in all seriousness, true greatness is marked by actually winning, not just being consistent. I'd have to say Montana, Young, Bradshaw, and Brady top the list, in no particular order.
  4. Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 02:03
    Put Marino in montanas shoes and all those rings would be his.

Quarterbacks are teammates with 21 other starters, it takes great teams to win championships.

I suppose some of you view Doug Williams as a better QB then Marino!

lol...

Marino, Montana and Elway to me are all right there and can swap positions in the top 3 however you see fit.
  5. Under Cover
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 05:25
    Originally posted by Teshuvah
    Put Marino in montanas shoes and all those rings would be his.

Entirely possible.

Quarterbacks are teammates with 21 other starters, it takes great teams to win championships.

no kidding

I suppose some of you view Doug Williams as a better QB then Marino!

What did you have to smoke to come up with that?

Marino, Montana and Elway to me are all right there and can swap positions in the top 3 however you see fit.

I think everyone agrees that these were all great QB's.
  6. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 14:44
    Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
    Elway is better than Marino for the simple fact that he WON championships, Marino didn't! And it looks like Drew Brees has a shot at shattering Marino's record for single season pass yards!
    I always wondered about Marino, revered beyond belief but never a champion. What was it about him that made him considered so good?
  7. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 20:38
    Johnny F'n Unitas!!!!
  8. cleveland ohio
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 21:43
    Originally posted by Frank Burns
    Johnny F'n Unitas!!!!
    A case can be made for Otto Graham the Cleveland Browns qb of the 1940s and 1950s Graham played in 10 NFL Championship games in a row with the Browns winning most! no other qb in nfl history has ever done that!!!!
  9. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 18:10
    Originally posted by Frank Burns
    Johnny F'n Unitas!!!!
    You've really got to be kidding about Unitas. Sure he was great in league that was known for running the ball, while over in the American Football League they were airing it out. Sure he made it to 10 pro bowls in a league where most quarterbacks were running backs that could kinda pass the ball. He was a tough guy and a good leader.

It was pretty lame of him to sit for the first half of Super Bowl III with a "sore arm". Any quarterback worth his salt wouldn't let an amputated arm stop him from playing in the big game.

Since that era of football there have been dozens of quarterbacks that were better than Unitas: Montana, Elway, Bradshaw, Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, you could even throw in Brady.

Johnny Unitas... lol. Good one, Frank! 😀
  10. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 20:14
    Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Rodger Staubach could join this list also.
  11. Joined
    18 Nov '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 22:341 edit
    Dan Marino (shame he never had a real defense) (in response to the A reverence to Marino, His release was lightning fast, he played on some decent Miami teams, and had little defense to give the Big O a break. All around he was well liked by Dolphin fans, and others, a true competitor.He went downfield like a field general)
    Terry Bradshaw (called most of his own offense)
    Norm VanBrocklin
  12. Joined
    31 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '06 09:33
    Brett Farve hasnt even been mentioned, keep in mind that he is breaking Marinos records. PLUS he has won a suber bowl.
  13. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    31 Dec '06 19:22
    Originally posted by omg1337
    Brett Farve hasnt even been mentioned, keep in mind that he is breaking Marinos records. PLUS he has won a suber bowl.
    Favre will undoubtedly go in the history books as one of the greatest ever. The first time I ever saw him play was when he was in college and Southern Miss. was upsetting #6 Florida State.

Since then he has had quite an impressive career. I am glad he didn't retire after last seasons debacle.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree